Reviews for Nadesico: Oysters and Pearls
BlackOps04 chapter 2 . 9/10/2007
This is not like me to nit-pick, but there are some things I'd like to address.

First is your use of the Nadesico timeline. Ruri was 12 at the beginning of the series. Also, the war only lasted two years, with the Nadesico featured for the last year.

Second is that the penny-pincher's name (or more accuratly, his title) was Prospector, not Procter.

If these 'errors' are deliberate on your part, then no harm done. I had to bring it up because , as a reader, it throws me off.
Evil Riggs chapter 1 . 4/20/2007
Bwahahahaha. Haha. Ha.
Plug chapter 8 . 9/24/2006
Unless my eyes have mistaken me, I believe I just bore witness to a couple of similes. In a Davner fic. Who would have imagined? Heh. At any rate, I'll try to make an effort to avoid the Broken Record Syndrome, but you sure make it difficult when you release a phalanx of superb chapters. If anything I think that's about the greatest aspect of this story: each chapter has raised the bar higher, building upon and surpassing its predecessors with a comfortable ease.

The minor criticisms I can think of are less of actual technical demerits and more of simply a case of opinion. So given that what I could suggest would only be a personal bias, I'll refrain from doing so. And it really doesn't matter anyways. You're really in control here, so attempting to leverage myself between you and the wheel would be futile, given that I really don't want you to veer off course. Keep up the stellar work.
skywiseskychan chapter 7 . 9/13/2006
Oh my, and goodness gratious. I just realized that our lovely friends in their nice crystal ships love music. You might say they are enthralled by it. Damn those Micronesians for being right! :)
Plug chapter 7 . 9/2/2006
This is such a great fic. I love you weave intrigue with humor and drama. You've always been really good at that. I also like the way you're structuring this story in real social issues without just making blindly biased statements. You're representing all sides of the situation intelligently which really creates an emotional center. Sucks that more people haven't noticed this one. It's a keeper. :)
Plug chapter 6 . 8/7/2006
It says something, I think, that you've managed to create an original character that feels at home and perfectly in sync with the atmosphere of this story that is essentially a fighter-pilot _werewolf_ whose dialogue is reminiscent of Gau from Final Fantasy VI. You have quite the gift for making idiosyncratic lunacy perfectly clear and understandable. The only thing that caught me a bit off guard was Megumi's sudden emotional surge. Tragic and personal it may have been, but there wasn't really any inertia. It just sort of happened.

That aside I think this was my favorite chapter so far. It had a sort of montage/hover momentum to it that made things really glide. Everything felt in place. I think it's also worth pointing out that you've actually grown as an author. Your prose is a lot stronger than it was in your Tenchi and early Slayers days, and given its potency then I think that indicates how solid you've really become.
Hideki Hirameshi chapter 5 . 7/23/2006
I never knew how fanfictions like this can get me so excited on what'll happen next. A fine piece of work, I'll say!

Oh yeah, could there be a mystery element in all of this clues being left behind by the "friendly" alien species? If so, this fic would include a "mystery" genre tag along the title.

You sir have "wow"'d me with your writing skills. Being an Air Force journalist must have its advantages, I guess.
Plug chapter 5 . 7/15/2006
Your best work in years, without par. This was a spectacular chapter on just about every level. I really like how you've taken your time with this story, how you've taken real social issues and let them build an honest and tangible tension. Shame not many other people have caught wind of this fic. It's fantastic.
Plug chapter 4 . 6/26/2006
A very strong chapter. In particular I thought the communicating method of moving their hands around with childish airplane noises was cute. A sense of atmosphere to this story is beginning to coalesce and things continue to get increasingly interesting. There's a lot of mystery to this fic, and that makes it a fascinating read. Keep up the good work.
skywiseskychan chapter 4 . 6/26/2006
I like it so far and am all for more integration of a more militaristic aproach to writing. Although it does seem perhaps just a touch rushed to be inviting people onto your ship.
Goldamon X chapter 3 . 8/19/2005
Very nice thus far. Hopefully you will be able to update soon.
Plug chapter 3 . 7/26/2005
Very interesting. Aside from the obfuscating and needless lyrical insertion this was pretty much a flawless chapter, Dav. Your knowledge of aerial tactics and linguistics elevated the routine spatial mechanics into something that felt as if it belonged in the physical universe. I enjoyed the way the interactions, communications and tactical procedures of this chapter felt tangible and logical. Excellent job on that. The twists of intrigue were also bizarre and atypical. Overall this is some of your strongest work in recent years, without question. Aside from the cheesy title. :p

Keep up the great work, buddy.
Cookie chapter 2 . 12/10/2003
I really love your fics!
it's difficult to find well written Nadesico fics, and even more so if they have Jun as a lead character ;)
just one question:
What's the deal with Ryoko and Izumi? Aren't they friends? Or will that be explained later? :)
Digicowboy chapter 2 . 11/4/2003
Great story! I can't wait for the next part of it to come out. I'll be waiting...
Merit Somnia chapter 2 . 10/31/2003
Just as good as the last!

Continue!