Reviews for ACCENTS Namely those of the Scottish persuasion
Netbug-Archive chapter 1 . 6/28/2012
This belongs in the forum...
O'Donnell chapter 1 . 10/19/2011
In the article you say that we cut the 'th of the end od with to get with,no true, wi' isnae slang it's from a different language called scots(or lawlans) which isn't English atall ,just get yer facts straight(scots 's ma farst leid,saw a main ken)
obsessed with accents chapter 1 . 6/22/2011
p.s. keep writing show show all those accent-ruiners the truth! glad im not the only one that hates accent abuse 5stars***** excellent! p.s. take all the scotts advice they know wut there doing
obsessed with accents chapter 1 . 6/22/2011
me again. scotts say man like mun. irish say man like mon. they have so many differences!
obsessed with accents chapter 1 . 6/22/2011
TOTALLY agree! I hate accent abuse im just an ordinary western america person but im extremely interested in accents. the "irish/scottish are the same" really gets on my nerves ALSO alot of the scottish accents u hear in movies are phony. scotts dont over roll there rs like that- actually the scottish accent is soft-softer than irish. the irish are the ones with a heavy brogue. i think Henry Ian Cusicks accent (hes a real scott)(LOSTs desmond) is a good example of a real scottish accent
g chapter 1 . 6/22/2011
Mornwey chapter 1 . 10/17/2007
Me again. Just rereading this, and I feel obliged to congratulate you again on this. Maybe you don't claim to be an authority, but I've lived my entire life in Scotland and it sounds about right to me. Just a few things:

-To me, Mac sounds more west coast than anything else; a little too thick for Glasgow, and /definitely/ not Edinburgh.

-I don't know what part of Scotland you know, but I'm not sure about the 'Jeenjeahr'. Around here it's be more like 'JINjur'

-The missing 't' is bloody murder to write, isn't it?

Peace out (An' a bonny day tae ye)

freya chapter 1 . 5/28/2006
go you!

I hate it when people mangle scottish accents!

but i don't think mac's accent is from Edinburgh -we tend not to have a scottish accent - it tends towards an English accent here unfortunately
Dormantly banjkazfan chapter 1 . 4/30/2006
*claps* I'm really pleased with this! :) I've never seen people make fun of Mac's accent, but I'm only reading the first page of fanfics...

But way to go! I'm scared to even try to type it...or any accent.
TheSummoningDark chapter 1 . 4/27/2006
Ah, I salute you. Being a proud Glaswegian myself, the mangled Scottish accents in this fandom offend me. Bravo...or 'gaun yersel, big man'...
Fiona Fargazer chapter 1 . 6/24/2005
I love to listen to Scottish and Irish accents, I mean I watch that stupid little kid's show Piggly Winks on PBS kids just to listen to them talk, but I must admit that I could never write down how the accent is pronounced and after what I've heard here I doubt I'll ever try. I liked the new words at the bottom though. I've heard "ken" in the book Kidnapped when I read it for school and I love the "balaloo." Oh, and I really like Mac too. anyway I think this is probably the longest review I've ever written so I better just shutup now, huh.

~Fiona Fargazer~
Nomia chapter 1 . 5/23/2005
BRILLIANT! ::claps enthusiastically:: it's about time someone put someting like this up. kudos!
Magistrix Mundi chapter 1 . 1/29/2005
I agree that knowing about Scottish accents is necessary for writing Chicken Run stuff, but this isn't a fic. Maybe you should put this in an author's note in a fic.
canuck-sweety33 chapter 1 . 8/20/2004
Alright,I'm learning scottish already!HOORAY.
Belphegor chapter 1 . 5/2/2004
Thanks for this "sort-of-rant", Fala :) I'm French, and I suppose my chances to hear a *real* Scottish accent in real life are as good as any American, so it's always a delight when a person sorts things out, accent-wise. (Don't know if that is a real expression, though.)
I'm a big fan of Mac's, too (hourray for DVDs with the original version :) and I can also understand the exasperation when an author mangles an accent you're familiar with and/or fond of. (And it just happens that I'm very fond of the Scottish accent; Scotland as I remember it [a one-week trip in high school] is a chillingly beautiful place, and I'm a big fan of John Hannah :o)
Anyway, I'll sure remember you if someday I come to write a story with a Scottish character - I promise I'll do everything to prevent accent abuse :o)
Much of love,