Reviews for The Other
queerquail chapter 1 . 10/16/2003
my goodness. this is amazing. you always think of Raoul as good in everyway, but now you've portrayed him so differently. nice idea.

now that i think about it, Raoul had said somethin' to Kel about alchohol turning him into something-bad, or whatever.
thekeeperofwords chapter 1 . 10/9/2003
when Raoul said alcohol turns him into someone he didn't like, I NEVER imagined this...
Alone in the Desert chapter 1 . 9/13/2003
Kitty, this is splendid.

The subject matter is unique, and perfectly fitted for a fic like this. The intense agony of the dilemma is perfectly worded, poignant and compelling. The imagery is diverse and exact. Not one word out of place.

Things that chafe:

"Its lines were smooth and continuos, its weight welcome and solid in his hands" - 'continuous'. A nitpick if ever there was one, but still.

"and the man knew that the bottle was the only beautiful, perfect thing his room, and his world." Not sure what you meant to convey. This could be 'in his room', or equally, 'his room... had to offer'. Right now it's just somewhere in the middle, staring into thin air and not knowing what to do with itself.

"Over and over, he turned it: holding it up to the light of a candle, which added hints of gold to the dark, steady colour of the glass it was made of." The colon suggests a list. Perhaps a comma would make more sense? It rather leaves me feeling as though the sentance ended too soon, leaving off the rest of what it was listing.

"The servants had long shut their ears to the crying of a broken man." Not sure why, but a plural noun seems to want to replace 'crying' inside my twisted mind. 'Sobs', maybe, since it associates sound.

"He's gone mad, at last, they thought." In extreme unison. Hm.

"He had chosen the other." What can I say? Perfect ending. I could cry.

*Feels very good about self, having flexed her reviewing muscles*
Keita chapter 1 . 8/27/2003
Short-very short- but poignant.

Have you ever tried to get drunk off wine? It's REALLY hard, since wine usually only 11%. Plus it doesn't taste that great, no matter WHAT those snotty swishy wine tasters say. *blink blink* Random opinions tend to burst out of me sometimes, ignore them.

:oD
AB-scribere chapter 1 . 8/27/2003
you KNOW how much I love this Kitty. Your imagery is superb, the setting is wonderful and touching!
Quatre-sama chapter 1 . 8/23/2003
Incredible, simply incredible. I've probably read it fifteen times since you posted it on Tortall100, but it doesn't lose its finesse or serenity. I love seeing this Raoul-so much different than the shy man-child or the sarcastic-but-jolly leader. Kudos.
Seereth chapter 1 . 8/23/2003
I think you did a lovely job on this. The subject matter isn't usual, and I think this story is all the better for it.
AMarguerite chapter 1 . 8/22/2003
Very good! I enjoyed it very much. Raoul! Raoul! Sorry, but that was very well-written. And extremely realistic.
Elisabeth Garrison chapter 1 . 8/22/2003
This was... stunning. Short, sweet, and beautiful.

I run the Writings Page for the Steelsings Tamora Pierce webpage ( . ) and I'm preparing to add a bunch of new fanfic for when the site comes fully back online. Could I add this to our site?

Thanks!

Lis Garrison,

Steelsings Tamora Pierce Writings Page and Welcome Wagon Forum
AlmightyChrissy chapter 1 . 8/21/2003
*gushes*

Ok, so I said this before, but the thing that hits me about this the most (besides how vivid the descriptions are) is the way that you capture this Raoul we never get to see- not the young man in SOTL, not the wise(ish) adult in PotS, but this vunerable, broken man with a problem, and the ending image, of him weeping, surrounded by glass, is just so POWERFUL.

I love this.