Reviews for Fair Game
Eirian Erisdar chapter 1 . 3/1/2016
I'm somewhat grateful I'm not prone to being loud or I think the inhuman shrieking going on in my head would be translated into reality.

Just...wow. Thank you for your devotion to writing Faramir. I loved the intricacies of his character best of all the characters we got a little more than a glimpse of. This is gorgeous and utterly heartwarming at the end.
Anon chapter 1 . 2/23/2014
Fathers can be the best heroes of all.
Nuingarien chapter 1 . 4/5/2012
Just had to reread this since I just reread A Game of Chess. I love, love, love, this "series" of yours!
Nimloth9 chapter 1 . 11/29/2011
I thoroughly enjoyed this story. It was funny, cute, sad, touching, and exciting. Faramir was awesome as always. I loved it!
Aki no Ryu chapter 1 . 1/12/2011
The BEST follow up for "A Game of Chess," hands down. Bravo!
LadyoftheShield chapter 1 . 7/26/2010
Wonderful, wonderful job! I love your characterization of Faramir, as always, and Déor is definitly a likeable character! I liked the Easterlings arrival- an unexpected trial to overcome.
RowenaR chapter 1 . 4/11/2010
It's been ages since I last read "A Game of Chess" (oky, no, that's a lie... last time I read it was March...) but strangely enough it took me very long to find and read the sequels and I have to say... very stupid of me ;) I really loved it how you developed the children and the similarities between Deor and Faramir that taught both of them valuable lessons. It was really good to see your Faramir again because I always found him to be the most... true one among fanfiction :)
Cariad-je chapter 1 . 6/18/2009
Thank you, thank you really... it's great to see some sort of closure, some sort of healing for Faramir. I wanted so very much to see this in A Game of Chess, even though it seemed not to fit... as though this hurt were somehow secondary to the more important matrimonial/emotional conflict. I'm impressed with how you had the self control not to simply stuff this in - hallmark of a great writer - not succumbing to the temptation of giving Faramir physical healing if the story would be somehow less for it.

But then you wrote this, and truly it's like... having my cake and eating it too :) I expect the plot's to progress the way it does but that just makes it even more of a pleasure to read.

And the characters were fabulous, I wanted to... reach out and give them a hug or just beam at them, or something. I always feel guilty when I do review your stories because I would like very much to give a well-rounded critique, but never seem to find anything to say, beyond gushing that is. As always, very well done.
duj chapter 1 . 6/6/2009
So it was necessity brought him 'back on the horse'... But now the sword is secure in his hand again.
skaia7 chapter 1 . 8/26/2006
Thanks for this. It is good to know there can be healing, even at the cost of an Easterling's life. :)
Elwing chapter 1 . 5/22/2006
Wow, I really loved this story. I'm sorry not to be of more help but I can't find one single thing that could be improved though there's bound to be something.

It's very endearing to see how Faramir seems to be much more at peace with himself and much stronger in mind and body than in A Game of Chess. He is indeed a wonderful Uncle and Father and I'm glad to see he was able to take up the sword again in defense of his young nephew. I love his quiet humour when he says "...a sword, Eowyn, what do you think it is...no need for such excitement" and his interaction with his brother-in-law.

The relationship between Faramir and Déor is also extremely well-crafted and very touching. He seems a lot like Faramir with his dreamy nature, love of languages (I presume!) and his struggles to keep up with his older brother. I'd love to hear more about him! The other children are simply delightful too - they all have very distinctive characters. Honourable Elboron ( he reminds me a lot of Boromir), charming Elfwine (he seems like a good brother), wise Morwen and baby Léof. Like another reviewer pointed out, you end up caring just as much about them as the Original Characters.

Anyway, I'm aware this review is getting extremely long so I'll end by saying thanks for posting this lovely fic and please write more about these characters in the future!
Raksha The Demon chapter 1 . 5/15/2006
This is one of my favorite of your stories; since it shows Faramir as mentally and physically strong, and an excellent fighter, even if out of practice. And his rapport with young Deor is beautifully written. Faramir is a wonderful uncle as well as a good father...

I love Faramir's words "...a sword, Eowyn, what do you think it is...no need for such excitement".
shallowness chapter 1 . 12/20/2004
Very, very well-crafted story. Excellent use of a child's pov, with all the children charming, strong individuals but also indirectly reflections of their parents (and Boromir!)
Arquen Marille chapter 1 . 6/27/2004
Like Daw, I also found this story through the semi-finalist list. I really enjoyed this story. I was a little lost at first, but once I knew what was going on, I really got into it. It's really well written and engaging.
daw the minstrel chapter 1 . 6/9/2004
I found this story through the Mithril semi-finalists list and wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed it. Deor is wonderfully shown through his own perceptions. It can be hard to write children, I think. It's easy to fall into cliches, but you don't do that. I also liked Faramir. He comes across as complicated: brave but battle worn, kind but giving an exultant shout when he drives the knife home. Just an all around good read.