Reviews for Fair Game
annafan chapter 1 . 6/26/2020
It is so nice to revisit this fic. I find your portrayal of Faramir suffering from what Tolkien would have been all too familiar with as "shell shock" so fascinating, and the way he has to struggle through it of necessity (it is also very clever how you draw the parallels between Deor's vertigo and Faramir's PTSD).

As an aside, the previous reviewer is wrong: Faramir and Lothiriel are cousins, Faramir's mother Finduilas was Imrahil's sister, hence they share a grandfather, Adrahil of Dol Amroth. So Deor's great grandfather is indeed Faramir's grandfather on his mother's side. Genealogy matters so much to Tolkien - as one writer put it, "even the trees get genealogies."
the7horcrux chapter 1 . 6/24/2020
Good! I did notice one mistake: Faramir mentions his grandfather and adds that he is Deor's great grandfather. This can't be true because Deor is Eomer and Lothiriel's son, so he is not even blood related to Faramir. Otherwise this was great.
sian22 chapter 7 . 7/28/2018
Ohhhh, so poignant for so few words..and sad but realistic. 2 steps forward and one back., one forward and 2 back..it matters not...always..the wheel suddenly is turning and you can but ride.. Eomer’s certainty is wonderful. And Eowyn’s instinct to hold..just right
sian22 chapter 6 . 7/28/2018
Love this.. strategy applied to many fronts
sian22 chapter 5 . 7/28/2018
‘Regrettably substantial’.
What in the world was Eomer thinking, corrupting the Steward’s family? Lol.. I can only assume they went along with him knowing how hopeless was the assault and so in their minds it was sporting Eomer a needed handicap
sian22 chapter 4 . 7/28/2018
Lol... oh to hear the rest of the conversation. I winced at ‘fixed’ and smiled at ‘mind’ and just can imagine Aragorn delivering that riposte. Great fun
sian22 chapter 3 . 7/28/2018
Wonderful! I am grinning..victorirs of many sorts all round.. you have Eomer perfectly I think
sian22 chapter 2 . 7/28/2018
V finely drawn, faramir’s retelling, so not quite matter of fact , and Eowyn’s concern and Eomer’s astonishment..as if having come to terms with a brother in law who cannot pick up a sword, the fact that he could in extremis is equally hard to process.
Guest chapter 4 . 7/28/2018
"I fixed your Steward. " My favorites Eomer saying ever.
sian22 chapter 1 . 7/27/2018
V. much enjoying this again..and so glad to see it continued!
Shakes chapter 3 . 7/26/2018
Thank you for the image of Faramir on his back in the dust... getting up again!
ASWF chapter 3 . 7/26/2018
Pleasant double surprise for us both it is! :D

"I am a tired old fool." - xD exactly how i felt every time i was getting back into athletics season...and then right on the heels of that bittersweetness, 'whispered, "You are amongst the bravest men I know."' :'))
How very much like Eomer to whisper his gentleness, a moment shared between them only. They've come a long way since the days when Eomer was still wanting to beat Faramir up!

I especially like the entire second week paragraph! :')

Fair Game had seemed complete at the time (almost ten years ago? XD) but *now* it really is perfect. Whatever provenance that led to your inspiration - i am thankful :) Loved the codas, thanks for adding them! :) they really put a smile on my face :D
ASWF chapter 2 . 7/25/2018
A Game of Chess and Fair Game have been very dear to me for a very long time - hm. Almost ten years? And even more now so, since i am a little older now and can more fully appreciate the human complexities that both stories so skilfully and naturally delineate.

An absolute lovely surprise to see this coda added on :) thanks for the update! Take care and happy writing :)
Eirian Erisdar chapter 1 . 3/1/2016
I'm somewhat grateful I'm not prone to being loud or I think the inhuman shrieking going on in my head would be translated into reality.

Just...wow. Thank you for your devotion to writing Faramir. I loved the intricacies of his character best of all the characters we got a little more than a glimpse of. This is gorgeous and utterly heartwarming at the end.
Anon chapter 1 . 2/23/2014
Fathers can be the best heroes of all.
48 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »