Reviews for The Lure of the Darkness
TimeturnerJasmy chapter 1 . 6/8/2017
Wow, that was so good. Poor Mirkwood Elves, they didn't have it easy. One thing though: Should the Enchanted River have such an effect on one of Thranduil's Elves? The enchantment was put there by the Elves as a line of defense, so it would be strange if it endangered them, too.
ConfusedPumpkin23 chapter 1 . 8/14/2011
That is so...creepy. But so good! This really gives me a new perspective of Mirkwood and the giant spiders, and shows what could have happened in The Hobbit but didn't. Poor child (and what a sick and disgusting way to go). Anyways, great story!
FallenTruth chapter 1 . 4/24/2007
Very well written! The entire amosphere is one of tension and shows an excellent view of the changes to Mirkwood. Very realistic and believeable with a haunting ending. I completely enjoyed reading this. It was a delight to read. _
SpiritoftheWhiteRose chapter 1 . 2/18/2007
That was so awesome but so sad at the same time! I loved it!
Dax chapter 1 . 7/6/2004
good story. so the girl died?

Dax
lindette chapter 1 . 1/4/2004
oh... my... god...
everything's already been said, but i wanted to let you know how good your story was. really.
Soledad too lazy to log in chapter 1 . 11/1/2003
A frighteningly beautiful story. I had great problems with the Spiders, that's why I haven't dared to write about them so far - I simply couldn't have a grip on their nature. You've changed that for me forever.

But even more frigtening than the Spider itself were for me the malevolent trees that had turned against the Elves. This showed perfectly how much the forest got poisoned since the taking of Dol Guldur.
erunyauve chapter 1 . 10/31/2003
A very realistic snapshot of Mirkwood, the Mirkwood behind the text (perhaps too realistic for my tastes - I want a happy ending).

The trees' warnings have a poetic rhythm that is true to Tolkien in tone and that functions as the eerie music of a soundtrack as a backdrop to the story. The spider is wonderfully in character and you give us reason to care about the little girl. The details are horrific and deftly drawn - just enough to set the mood of the story and rouse the emotions of the reader.
arbitrary9 chapter 1 . 10/18/2003
This was a very well written piece, Gabrielle. It depicts well of the shadow that was growing in Mirkwood and also of the mortal dangers of a darkened forest. The characterization of Legolas was well done as well as his grief over his mother's death when he is in search for the child. Such similarities in loss no doubt trigger unhappy memories of the past. Please do continue to write more of such interesting stories that you have thus far. :)

take care, Namarie!~~
LegyLuva chapter 1 . 9/14/2003
That was good and wel written but very dark. A kind of 'creepy' plot but good nonetheless and I enjoyed it.