Reviews for A Fool's Hope
Nightwing6 chapter 1 . 9/3/2003
I always have wondered where the heck Glorfindel had gotten off to after the Council. Not that I object to the Prince of Mirkwood mind you, dearie me not at all, but your story helps explain why this magnificent Elf-lord was not included in the Fellowship. (On his brow was wisdom, and in his hand was strength.) Sigh...

Yes, the Hobbits possessed great strength when they seemed to have little, and Sauron thought them unimportant. Big mistake, underestimating the Little Ones... such arrogance marked his downfall.
Kal the Magnificent chapter 1 . 9/2/2003
Very nice... raises a lot of questions such as "Why Legolas and not Glorfindel?" or "Why Legolas and not one of the sons of Elrond?" or "why in the name of the Valar did the ringbearer not have better protection?" Although they all got answered very well...

Hugs and Cookies )
JR chapter 1 . 8/30/2003
Just wanted you to know that I am a huge fan of your work. It just makes my day when you have updated or added a new story. I have been waiting for you to do a fic with Glorfindel in it because your characters have such depth and I was curious about how you would portray him. Needless to say, I am not disappointed. Keep up the excellent work.
Kurremkarmerruk chapter 1 . 8/28/2003
This is really good! I love Glorfindel and the way you wrote him. He is so awsome. You are awsome and the story is awsome. I had so much homework the past almost two weeks this is the first time I've had any time to log on the ff.n and I find this! I hate Latin, Algebra II, Chemistrey, Botany, and all my other classes. I hate everything about school. And I finish seven hours of homework have some extra time to surf the net and then I find this. YOU HAVE MADE MY DAY! That and the fact I got T (I probly won't get to see it for a few days)and drew an awsome pic of Glorfindel and the twins during a botany lecture today...
cm chapter 1 . 8/28/2003
I loved this. Very well done, as usual. _
Lamiel chapter 1 . 8/27/2003
Oh, very nice. I've also wondered just what Elrond was thinking, and now I see that he's a very wise Elf-lord indeed. Half-elf. Whatever. Lovely introspection and evaluation of the various strengths and weaknesses of the Fellowship.

I also appreciated the explanation of why Rivendell didn't help Lothlorien or Mirkwood in their battles against the Enemy. Very well done.

Marvelous scene where Glorfindel rolls his eyes. "And because you have yet to thoroughly offend Thranduil this year, you have decided to send his son into what might be considered certain death." Hee hee!
chasinggrace chapter 1 . 8/27/2003
It really was a fool's hope. No one really thought that the Fellowship would really pull it off. But I'm sure glad they did.

~ Dixie ~
annakas chapter 1 . 8/26/2003
Oh this was hilarious. I loved Glorfindels sarcasm. It is very understandable why he thought Elrond had gone mad. From his point of view even I would have thought so. Loved it, simpli loved it.
mahari chapter 1 . 8/26/2003
A lovely piece of work.

Writers too often seem to forget that the choosing of the nine would have been a contentious matter - Legolas would not have been chosen simply because he was Estel’s ‘best friend’, as some seem to think - and I think this ficlet does a great job in bringing that up. It’s made me spend the morning thinking about it ;)

Oh and I loved your characterization of Glorfindel. A lot the fics I read portray him as either a loving uncle kind of elf or a James Bond figure, and while I do enjoy both, your Glorfindel made me shiver (this bit in particular - ‘the ancient elf now possessed a calm and a poise that occasionally even put Galadriel to shame’).

Anyway, thanks for a good read as always, and please update ‘New Year’s Eve’ soon?
French Pony chapter 1 . 8/25/2003
This was pretty good. It starts out with some lovely character work - your touch with dialogue is truly deft - and a good setting of the scene.

I have to say, I found the middle bit, the discussion of the strengths and weaknesses of the Fellowship members, more than a little workmanlike. I don't mean to say that it's bad - it's just not up to your usual standards. There's nothing untrue, and the dialogue is as graceful as anything you've ever written, but there isn't really any new information or any new insight into any of these characters. To me, it read like a recitation of who's who. A very well done recitation, to be sure, but one without much to say.

Where the story really picked up again was the discussion of "Plan B" strategy. Now, here you show your talent for strategic thinking, and the possibilities are frightening. You've done some hard thinking here, and it shows. The fact that the two Elven lords are sitting and discussing potential siege and ruin as calmly as if they were having tea adds much depth and steel to their characters and really brings out the "war to end all wars" mentality.

There are three small typos. Number One:

"They are their father’s sons," should be "They are their fathers' sons," as there are two different fathers in question.

Number Two:

"Which means that their father’s shall have had. . . " should be "Which means that their fathers shall have had. . . " without the apostrophe.

Number Three:

"seige" should be "siege."

All three are easily fixable.

So, in sum: This story was pretty good, but not as great as some of your other works. Of course, this is like saying that Lance Armstrong did not bicycle as fast as he usually does. It's pretty good, and from you, that's good.
xsilicax chapter 1 . 8/25/2003
This scene really brought home the dangers inherent to the quest. Something which I think the film in particular, and many forms of fanfiction also, seem to overlook.

That two elf-lords of that calibre and prominence can feel that much tension, and fear at Sauron, really struck hard.

Many congratulations,

Ceanen chapter 1 . 8/25/2003
Great ficlet, TT- you're portrayal of the strong relationship between Elrond and Glorfindel is perfect- equals in will if not in rank, and comfortable to put aside manners for honesty. It makes for quite and enjoyable read. And to write a story with so much dialogue can be quite challenging (at least I think it can)- you've pulled it off beautifully.

And, of course, one would figure that Elrond would have recieved many such doubts from others concerning his decisions regarding the fellowship-it's wonderful to think on some of them. Fabulous job, as always!
Karri chapter 1 . 8/25/2003
A beautiful bit of contemplating and speculating. :) You've most skillfully helped me imagine the doubts that would have plagued those who watched the Fellowship depart.

(However, Thranduil's not such a bad guy.)
JastaElf chapter 1 . 8/25/2003
TT, this is wonderful. Writers all too often forget to contemplate just how high the stakes were, and I hope a lot of those writers will read this tale... I certainly will be recommending it!

To have such experienced warriors and leaders as Elrond and Glorfindel blatantly discuss what will happen as the price of failure really brings it home. We see the Fellowship all too often through the eyes of retrospect, knowing they eventually succeed; to see them from the other perspective, not knowing if they WILL succeed or fail horribly because of their shortcomings, is a real eye-opener.

A VERY fine piece of work; thank you!
daw the minstrel chapter 1 . 8/25/2003
I liked your reminder of what Saruman knew about Rivendell. I hadn't taken that in actually. And then at the end, Glorfindel's and Elrond's analysis of the situation of Rivendell was also interesting. You put that togther well.

Beyond that, your explanations of Elrond's reasoning make sense. But when Glorfindel goes on about the Fellowship, it does seem hard to explain!
31 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 Next »