Reviews for Troubled Water
miss ellinor chapter 1 . 3/23/2013
So beautiful... Heart breaking... Great work.
Miluielwen chapter 1 . 6/7/2006
I'm sorry to hear you missed the Gathering, but I sure as hell can see why you won the award. This is a beautiful, heartbreaking story that portrays characters and emotions so well. Your "impressions of the words, rather than the sounds" worked out great.

Elrond is one of those tragic characters I love so much, yet my heart breaks every time I read a fic like this one. Some people just need to be hugged and hugged until all the pain has gone away.

Anyways, wonderful story. Keep up the good work!
LOTRlover chapter 1 . 3/30/2005
No wonder this story won an award. I am absolutely amazed how mature and universal your grasp of conflicting emotions is for someone in her late teens-hell, for someone of any age. and your writing style keeps up with your emotional understanding. I hope you keep writing, either in fanfiction or branching out into original work, because you truly have talent.
Ren chapter 1 . 5/15/2004
So beautiful. so sad...
Celeborn chapter 1 . 10/10/2003
That was one of the saddest things I have ever read! That was a great fic! I was close to tears! It didn't help that I am a huge Elrond fan. Poor guy. You didn't even get to the part where Arwen dies! That guy never gets a brake. You are a great fic writer!

Silmarillion forver!

-Celeborn
AfterEver chapter 1 . 8/30/2003
I thought there was a lot of beauty in this story, and the tale was recounted here with a good balance of drama and other elements.

I was especially fond of this part at the end:

"You are slipping away in the distance, far beyond my grasp. I understand Elwing now; I understand a love for which I would leave everything else behind. If I could weave an enchantment to make myself into a seabird and fly away with you, if I could look upon you for only one more moment, I would do it - elves and men and Vilya be damned. For I have forgotten to tell you that I love you."

It really captured the mood of the moment, I felt. And Elrond finally coming to understand Elwing was a brilliant touch.

The only thing that irked me were the few diversions from canon.

For instance, Elrond and Celebrian were wed in 109 of the Third Age, and Celebrian sailed in the year 2510. But in this story mention was made that they were together for only seven centuries.

And, in this story Arwen was refereed to as being barely a century old, but in canon Arwen was born in 241 of the Third Age.

There were a few other things as well. Anyway, if the intention was to write an AU, that's one thing. I just couldn't help feeling the story would have been even better had it not stepped out of the realm of canon.

But hey, don't mind me; it's your fic. Thanks for writing it.

-AE
Karri chapter 1 . 8/26/2003
Och! You made me cry. Excellent piece! Thank you for posting it.
addicted chapter 1 . 8/26/2003
One word: wow. That was absolutely incredible. You really captured Elrond's grief and all his other emotions. Very nicely done!
Dot1 chapter 1 . 8/26/2003
*gasp* That was so beautiful! It was such an honest and heart-breaking look at Elrond's thoughts. He's so often portrayed as a powerful elf-lord but I love the way you looked more closely and almost throw-away lines like him hating his mother, not understanding his brother, blaming his sons... this shows how very deeply he is affected by pain and grief.

The scene where he parts from Celebrian and then tries to follow her had me in tears. Such anguish. And how poignant that in that moment he understands his mother's actions.

That was absolutely amazing and a beautiful use of language and emotion - how talented you are!:)