Reviews for A Distant Shore
Dagnir Erynion chapter 1 . 12/22/2004
Well written. Enjoyably heart-wrenching. :)
Gozilla chapter 1 . 3/2/2004
Very good! Excellent work! Well done! -
Catmint chapter 1 . 2/18/2004
Beautiful, yet so sad.
estelcontar chapter 1 . 8/30/2003
Great as usual. This is a very moving and very perceptive short story. Thanks for writing it.
Sue chapter 1 . 8/26/2003
You've made me speechless again, Nell Marie! That was beautiful-the descriptions and the emotions.
Nightshade's sydneylover150 chapter 1 . 8/26/2003
Bravo! Bravo! I hope to see more stories from you, for you are a very talented writer. You conveyed the emotion in this story very well. Please write more stories!
silvertoekee chapter 1 . 8/26/2003
wow now thats an interesting fic here...hm never thought how the twins would feel near the sea or the choices they would have to make. sniff so sad and yet good all in one. great job!
Nietta chapter 1 . 8/26/2003
AWW! This is a v sad story, but I loved it, so sweet!

You mean the twins to die? *shakes head stubbornly* no, nada, they went with Lego at the end...

I loved Estels acceptance BTW D
Dot1 chapter 1 . 8/26/2003
Oh God, that was... that was... so beautiful, amazing, heart-breaking. And so insightful. You absolutely captured that moment perfectly. I'm at a bit of a loss for words!

I loved the description of Legolas' grief and nearly wept at the line ‘The trees of my home fade in my memory, Aragorn, though I have walked beneath their eaves a thousand years and more'. There's such an awful feeling of finality.

Aragorn was written wonderfully as well - he knows exactly what has happened and what it will mean but seems to realise that it is their pain and all he can do is stand by and show his understanding and acceptance.

For me, though, the most powerful thing about this piece are the thoughts of the twins. Wow! You really showed the emotional turmoil they experience. The call of the sea seems to result in such questioning. It's so interesting that at first they almost wanted to feel the sea-longing as Legolas did so that it would take away all choice, until they saw the grief of their friend. There has been much written about how Legolas' love for mortal friends could only result in pain but I hadn't really considered before how more true this is for Elladan and Elrohir - the thoughts about Arathorn were just so heart-breaking.

It really is such a wonderful piece - that one moment when the gull cries results in so many thoughts and different emotional experiences, yet for all present it signalled the end of life as they had known it. Thank you for sharing!:)
Sphinx chapter 1 . 8/26/2003
I liked this so much, I just HAD to review it everywhere its archived. :)

You bring out the twins in a manner that no one else does. And if that doesnt make you inspiring enough to me, its the way you phrase that's leaving me green with envy. You have everyone here - Elladan, Elrohir, Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli...and they each have a distinct characterization. Makes me want to surrender the angst demon to you. :)

This heads straight for the favourites list, it does.
xsilicax chapter 1 . 8/26/2003
I read this earlier, but could not actually bear to review then. I had to retreat for a really good weep, and now I'm sniffling again just thinking of it.

This was just so incredibly sad.

Death and parting, and in particular to have the choice to do it seems so unfair on everyone. There is no 'good' solution; every choice brings pain to someone.

While this is not the outcome I eventually picture for Elrond's sons, it was beautiful and very emotional. *sob* gah, here I go again. Higheswt compliment this, that you reduce me to tears everytime I read.

Cathy.