Reviews for Lord Knows I Can't Change
clay chapter 4 . 10/14/2006
Just wanted to break in here and tell you that I think you have everyone's voices down REALLY well. I can definitely hear them all clearly in my head.
Trinity Destler chapter 1 . 3/28/2005
I debated saying anything as it's a bit late in the game... but, hell, why not. (This pertains only to chapter one).

Bootstrap was among Barbossa's crew when the mutiny took place, so it's unlikely Jack would be wondering where he was. I don't know about Bootstrap being a surogate father to Jack, either, considering he wouldn't be all that much older than him, (Will's about eighteen in the movie, if Bootstrap was twenty when Will was born that only puts him at thirty-eight, about Jack's age).

You're writing is good, keep at it.
Trinity Day chapter 12 . 8/31/2004
And the plot thickens even further, with Norrington, Anamaria and Gibbs being thrown into the mix.
Trinity Day chapter 11 . 8/31/2004
Nice reunion. And long overdue.
Trinity Day chapter 10 . 8/31/2004
I'm not sure I've said this before, but I really *like* your Bootstrap. Chapters from his POV are a pleasure to read.
Trinity Day chapter 9 . 8/31/2004
Aha! I *have* read this story before. I just got confused, seeing as I was able to review it again, which I've never been able to do before. Well, that and I didn't go far back enough in the reviews. Anyway, either you've done some editing, or else I'm just a lot more awake this time I'm reading it (unlike last night, of course, when I kept on managing to dismiss that little voice in my head that said "isn't this familiar? haven't you read it before?"), but the curse made a lot more sense this time around than I remember it making the first time I read it.
Trinity Day chapter 8 . 8/30/2004
The chapter makes sense, don't worry. And it was good, too.
Trinity Day chapter 7 . 8/30/2004
So Will, Elizabeth and Jack are heading out of Port Royal (which doesn't have an "e" in it, incidentally) to go find Bootstrap while the very same Bootstrap is on his way to Port Royal, prisoner of Barbossa. Interesting...
Trinity Day chapter 6 . 8/30/2004
And now the plot's *really* starting to pick up. To say the least. I assume we'll be getting an explanation as to how Barbossa's alive and why Bill originally thought he was dead?
Trinity Day chapter 5 . 8/30/2004
Oh, yay! Bootstrap's being introduced to the mix. I see what you mean about the plot starting to pick up. I can't wait to see where you go from here.
Trinity Day chapter 4 . 8/30/2004
I certainly like the parts where Jack and Will discuss Bootstrap Bill. It certainly seems like a logical topic of conversation for the two of them, especially once Will has had some time to get used to the fact that his father was a pirate and not a merchant sailor, as he thought in the movie. Well, the beginning of it at least. However, having known Jack only through the movie scenes, I'm not sure Will or Elizabeth would be perceptive enough to pick up on the fact that Jack's also mourning (sort of) for Barbossa. Another way to introduce this - from Jack's POV - would have been preferrable.
Trinity Day chapter 3 . 8/30/2004
Don't worry about your Elizabeth. She seems quite in character, to me at least.
Trinity Day chapter 2 . 8/30/2004
I really liked how Jack came into the forge, what with Will singing the pirate song, but forgetting all the words and Jack surprising him suddenly. A tad predictable, but... well, there's a good reason why some scenarios pop up often. What I didn't like as much is Jack's line: "Ooh, a wedding! I love weddings; drinks all around!" You're clever, you're a good writer, you don't need to recycle lines from the movie like that.
Trinity Day chapter 1 . 8/30/2004
An interesting beginning, especially Jack's... musings... on family and who qualifies as his own. Although I must say that I always thought "grog" was used as a replacement, of sorts, for a sailor's water rations, because pure, plain water grew stale and contaminated over longer voyages rather than being its own drink. However, a quick detour whilst writing this review has informed me of the history of grog. Quite interesting, actually. And to keep me from rambling any further, I'll just say I was at least partially wrong, I learned something new today, so it wasn't wasted, and even though I probably wouldn't have used grog in my story quite the way you do, there's a reason you're writing this and not I, and if everyone wrote the same, life would be boring. So much for keeping this short, eh?
Reigning Hobbitess chapter 19 . 6/28/2004
Wow, I am speechless. I have seen many, many, "Whatever happened to Bootstrap Bill?" Fics, but yours is by far the best. I can't wait to read the sequel. Keep up the good work!