Reviews for Persephone
Lawren Deer chapter 45 . 8/21
It's great that you got this out of your sistem. There are probably hundreds of stories on fanfic that will never be finished. But by giving your thoughts and plot plans to your readers, you gave your readers many gifts - your time, your courage, your talent and THE END! and that is precious. Thank you!
Now i will have to read this fic again, because i have totally forgotten everything. :D
Good luck with your original stories!
Live-Laugh-Sing chapter 8 . 8/17
Chapter Eight: someone has to stay with you in case you fever returns and you lose conciousness.

Isn't a loss of conciousness what you want if she's supposed to be sleeping?

Just had to be a smartass. Sorry. Love the book, I think it's currently in my favorites.
Ginger-Snapp chapter 45 . 1/20
I occasionally come back to read this. Not the story, because it it lengthy and broke my heart the first time to find it unfinished. Then...then you posted your letter and my heart shattered. I find your strength, your insight into yourself to be...how to explain this heart-sick reverence in my chest? I reflect and feel that deeper longing, that...

I can't finish this review. But thank you for everything and I would gladly read anything you write, especially about yourself. Your honestly mesmerizes us.
Guiltilyinnocent chapter 45 . 1/13
Brilliant, dark story. I think it's even better that you didn't finish it, because that makes it even more memorable.I think the last chapter shows hope of a "happy" ending- where jareth learns not to abuse people and Sarah escapes him for good. A happy ending would definitely not be her forgetting the horrors he put her through- that would be as twisted as his abuse. You've written a morbidly fascinating relationship here, without romanticising a twisted view of love as control. it's one of the more gripping Fanfictions. I'd love to read more of your writing but I really don't think you should finish this story. On a side note, I think if the reader didn't initially associate the main characters as love interests, then i doubt they would root for jareth.
Filteredlight chapter 45 . 11/4/2015
I can't remember if I've read this story before (I've read so much fanfiction it's hard to keep straight!), but I've little doubt that the last chapter, that is, your author's note, is likely the best one. There's something about honest writing that gets to me more than anything else! Your well-thought out ideas about the glorification of abusive relationships in fanfiction and specific fandoms is something I really resonate with. Something that you may find interesting on that note: I can enjoy written stories where one character holds all the cards (provided it's not always about shaming/physically abusing/etc. the other character), but I can't handle things like Game of Thrones. Somehow, actually seeing scenes of rape/abuse/power inbalances is a lot more distasteful to me that reading about it.

Anyway, thanks for writing such an awesome explanation for everyone. I do hope that things are going well as you cope with your illness. Take care!
guest chapter 1 . 9/11/2015
It was nice that you gave us a summary of how you wanted the story to progress. I don't agree with your idea that sarah, after living her life to the full, at age 90 with cancer then decides she'll get with jareth. I understand your point of sarah making her own decisions but find it hard to believe jareth or any male would just wait patiently for 70 years whilst the person they want is living her life. If you wanted sarah to have a life aboveground and without jareth, then it would be more believable to have them go their separate ways.
IWasAFairyPrincessOnceToo chapter 44 . 8/15/2015
I really loved your story. I feel like it displays a very realistic outcome of what Jareth's obsession with a human girl would've been. I felt so terrible for Sarah, even when it was clear that he didn't know what harm it was doing to treat her like he was. It irritates me when I read a Labyrinth fanfiction where he's being handsy and rough with her and she's still being receptive in spite of the unwelcome advances. Or even when they fall in love over a short period of time in spite of little relationship development. I'm sad that you didn't finish the story but grateful you left your ideas of what you wanted to happen. It gives me peace of mind even though I personally don't feel like Sarah would ever return his affections. Thank you for the wonderful story.
iamnotanegg chapter 7 . 7/18/2015
The need to comment. Sheesh, forgive me!
Nat King Cole's Monalisa's on my ears while reading this.
So fitting ~
iamnotanegg chapter 6 . 7/18/2015
I'm reading this at work and I am giggling like an idiot!
It doesn't help that on a row of four, I'm the only one here for tonight's shift.

MUCH LOVE!
Archaic Tears chapter 45 . 6/25/2015
Reading this gave me some closure. Thank you for adding this and allowing us a glimpse into what you had imagined for this story. Every couple of years I check here and on a whim I saw this and thought to myself, "oh she updated, yay!" And the update was worth it. So again, thank you. Rest easy you worked hard and did your best. Enjoy life and congratulations on your marriage!
Navarth chapter 45 . 5/16/2015
Hi Xaviere,
I'll be straightforward here, and I hope you don't think this is incredibly presumptuous. Your story is the best fanfic I'm ever read, and the only one that I'd actually qualify as literature; that is, really good even if divorced from it's fanfic roots.
That being said, I see what you mean about you "breaking" your story. Then I got to wondering if there was any way it could be fixed, and I came up with what might be a relatively solid idea. Would you be willing to let me have a shot at finishing your story? I would gladly submit outlines, drafts, samples, whatever, for your approval, or any changes you think necessary. Your story just deserves to be finished so much, and it would be a great challenge for me.
If you'll give me a chance, I'll be extremely grateful; if you think this is beyond the pale, I totally understand.
Sincerely, Navarth.

P.S. When I get inspired, I can churn out 1,000 words a day, so I'd be able to give you fairly consistent material.
P.S. I've had various neurological ills throughout my adult life (primarily epilepsy) which has severely limited my ability to stay up all hours and write. Your experience strikes a chord, and that's part of the reason I decided to write this, other than the inherent merit of Persephone.
Guest chapter 45 . 5/8/2015
Wow... is it petty that I just was curious about your AN? I haven't read the story but I love the way you reflect about it... I probably will not read it because I hate unfinished stories, but I just wanted to say kudos to you and I hope you write some original work and publish it some day :)
Lylabeth 1 chapter 45 . 2/14/2015
As the mother of an abused daughter pulled in by a sociopathic narcissist I can tell u men who abuse in this wY do not change. Cut your losses with this story and write something totally new that does not involve abuse. Unless u have experienced it yourself there is no reAl understanding this kind of relationship and what the victim endures. It belittles the characters thT so many love to make Jareth into a psychopath.
gh0sty chapter 45 . 2/8/2015
Hello! I have not read your fic. I just watched Laby for the first time ever tonight. But when I found this, realized it was incomplete, and then saw your letter chapter (this one), I was compelled to read it. I, like many other writers, started stories years and years ago when I was very young and something pulled at me to read your words.

Thank you for saying these things that needed to be said. I know exactly what you mean. There are so many ships and pairings that try to follow a D/s dynamic but do it in an unhealthy, romanticized-abusive way. Many young girls cling to these stories, as they give you the fulfillment and satisfaction of strong and heartaching conflict with the safety net of a happy ending. The ends justify the means. So what if there is a lack of consent, and outright (albeit typically misunderstood) cruelty? He loves her, she loves him, their love will save him, she is actualized as a female so good and with so much good love (and the reader gets to vicariously live through it), and everything turns out just fine in the end. It is so, so difficult to write this well and safely. This idealistic scenarios are painfully rare. And they frequently teach those reading the stories that they are okay - the abuse is normalized. I was one of these people, and I will not get back the three years of my life that I spent believing that my boyfriend truly loved me underneath his terrifying and controlling temper.

I just wanted to say that you are so kind, and so brave for saying these words. I know how horrible of a feeling it is to have stories swirling around in your gut, but you just don't have the time or the spoons to churn them all out. I have major depression and CFS, and things can be a chore. But thank you for saying all of the things you said. I've only "known" you for half an hour, but I really look up to you, and I hope I can be half as great as you when I'm your age.

Immortal Ice chapter 45 . 1/4/2015