Reviews for A Star is Born
MrFoshizzlePro chapter 3 . 11/26/2012
Great story! It was really worth reading! I'm planning to save this story to MrFoshizzlePro's favorites list so that he can read it for himself when he's up to it.

Thanks!

- sir ecstatic )
thelazyreader chapter 3 . 3/15/2009
I did read your story a few months ago. And I'm sorry to say that yes, I wasn't wholly satisfied by it. Don't get me wrong, it was a well-written fic, and the humour was nicely done. It just didn't suit my idea of the ideal origin story for Hiko. What I wasn't satisfied with(and this is just my humble opinion):

1)Hiko's origin story was too light-hearted. I thought someone as jaded as him should have had more tragedy in his youth. Also, he doesn't seem the type who would be religious, let alone engage in prayer and meditation. Lastly, he didn't take up pottery till his later years.

2)Hiko began his training too old, and it seemed unrealistic for him to finish in just three years, genius or not.

3)Hiko XII's appearance and personality didn't feel like they would suit a figure like him. White haired even though he's only middle-aged(Hiten Mitsurugi masters should look young), losing his temper frequently, having a habit of whacking his pupil to discipline him.

4)Lastly, the ending felt rushed and didn't quite have the emotional impact it should have, suddenly switching from a comical tone to a tragic one.

I tried to be blunt. I hope I don't sound patronising. Like I said, my own fic didn't meet my mental idea of how such a story should be like and I'll be trying again in the future. If you feel insulted or something then I apologise.
Author of Doom Rin chapter 1 . 10/28/2006
Oh! (claps hands in delight)

I read Descent into Madness ages ago... but this is FAR more juicy!

(rubs hands together and gets to work at readin')

Yayness!
anaemicfaeries chapter 1 . 12/22/2005
Man oh man, what an excellent fic! We absolutely adore this story, and love to read it over and over. We just feel this is such a perfect take on Hiko as a kid-hahaha, it's just wonderful! _ A delightful balance of humour, wisdom and sadness! Truly awesome fic!

anameicfaeries
Warg chapter 3 . 12/14/2005
Very awesome Hiko fic, raised by nuns into endless arrogance and Vanity. Lol.

I was a little confused by the 1 and only pupil thing but its clear enough by the author's note(chap 2).

Just 1 thing to point out. It isn't supposed to be the Ama-ryu against Amar-ryu but Kuzu-Ryu against Ama-ryu, right?

Hopw someone sees this review. Bye
charmed-sword chapter 3 . 12/7/2005
What a wonderful story! I truly enjoyed this, it had me cracking up the whole way through, and sniffling at the end. You capture the arrogance and self assuredness of a young Hiko so well! I would imagine him to be exactly like this, lol! and I really liked his Master- 'You will call me shishou!' hahaha, 'more like kidnapped..' ha ha! _ I found it touching how he finally called Hiko 'shishou' at the very end when he learned his valuable lesson...*sniff* Can't wait to read more from you!
musicsage chapter 3 . 9/2/2005
this story is really, really great. i love your hilarious take on youngHiko and his Shishou, and the poignancy of the story as he learns his lessons. i also liked the irony in how the first time Hiko calls his master Shishou is after he has earned the right to call him otherwise. so sad... but it's a lovely tale, really. nice work! )
mirune keishiko chapter 3 . 4/6/2005
awesome. kind of...weird in that it narrates a bit quickly, and sort of curtly, so to speak . but all the same, neato. and the humor was great. .
SaitouuRyuuji chapter 3 . 2/17/2005
Wow that was awesome you had me at the edge of my seat, reading every word like my life depended on it. Like it was my favorite food. Wow is all I can say, um if you ever get time, I have a fanfic that I would like you to read. It is called Miburo Wolves.

That would be awesome if you read it. It is about Saitou.

Saitouu Ryuuji
Tastywheat chapter 3 . 2/17/2005
Nice story! I think you captured Genji's youthful arrogance and impudence perfectly. Having him finally call Hiko Shishou upon his death is a very nice, although predictable, touch-the irony that Genji could finally call Hiko by name but chooses not too (finally learning the meaning of respect) was very touching. Only nitpicks are that it probably should've taken Genji more than 2 years to learn all of Hiten Mitsurugi, especially since he spent the first year having his mistakes corrected. Kenshin, a born genius in his own right, learned under Hiko for years (age 7ish to 13?) and didn't get to the Kuzu Ryu Sen before he ran away to fight during the Bakumatsu. Other than that, very amusing story.
omasuoniwabanshi chapter 3 . 1/19/2005
Only a truly great author can make you laugh hysterically then cry in the same story. Bravo! Excellent job! Your story explains quite a lot about Hiko's character (spoiled rotten by adoring nuns would give anyone an over-inflated opinion of themselves!) The jokes he played on the 12th master Hiko were a hoot. The ending was necessary, but so sad. Thank you for a great story about the most lovable egomaniac in the Rurouni Kenshin universe.
Unseen Watcher chapter 3 . 12/18/2004
Ah, very nice. An interesting glimpse into what Hiko might have been like. I liked 12 too. *sigh* oh well, if there is a Hiten Mitsurugi master gathering place in the afterlife, the sheer power of the arrogance level alone ought to keep back even the less cautious kami. *smirk*
Rebecca chapter 3 . 11/14/2004
Bravo! Bravo! That story was awesome! The ending was sad 'cause Genji killed Hiko, but I loved the story! It was very well written.
junyortrakr chapter 3 . 11/4/2004
Yea, I suppose that's about how it would have gone. Too bad the cape didn't fit Kenshin properly.
Heather Logan chapter 3 . 9/21/2004
Oh so good... hilarious and yet poignant. I loved what Hiko the 12th said:

"What does it mean to win at kenjutsu? Kenjutsu is nothing more than the art of killing! To win means that you have killed! Never gloat over a victory, for a life is a life, no matter what the holder of that life is like!"
49 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »