Reviews for The Games of the Gods, Book One: Setting the Board
moonlightkiss1515 chapter 80 . 4/6
this is one of the funniest stories i've read! I love it! gosh I probably sounded like a lunatic laughing my head off by myself! (* well hello welcome to the land of insanity...*)
BlueDorid chapter 49 . 3/8
I have very mixed feelings about this fic. I really enjoyed the few chapters where Rachel travelled independently around middle earth, and to be honest, I would have been happy if this entire fic was about her adventures. I liked her character in those chapters, I loved her interactions with the various OCs.

However, I find it very hard to like her when she's with her fellow elves. Her language, behavior, and attitude comes across as extremely immature. She reads as a sulky 16 year old. I was ok with it in the first few chapters, since she was in her early 20's when she first came to middle earth, but was hoping to see some character growth as the story (and years) progressed. It's also extremely ironic that with her dread of Mary Sue-ifying, she insists on using those horrendous nick names- the identifying trait of a Mary Sue. I understand why she would be attracted to Glorfindel, but cannot for the life of me see why Glorfindel would ever find her remotely attractive.

The language is also inconsistent, with the elves switching between modern slang and more formal dialog. I actually don't have a problem with the characters not following a Tolkien-esque speech pattern, but it's jarring to see the constant usage of the word "anyways."

However, I haven't finished the story yet, and there is a chance that some of her actions may be explained further on. I also see that it's been 10 years since you wrote this, so your writing style is probably different now as well.
Mythgirllily chapter 23 . 3/8
I'm on chapter 23 and I love this story. Rachel's thinking is... I'm going to plead the fifth. Also before I read this (specifically the part where you say the thing about knowing when you wake up you only have so much time left) I never wanted to be an elf but now I do. I still don't want to be completely immortal, aka never able to die ever, but being an elf sort of immortal with the added Elven perks... *sigh* Anyway I just wanted to let you know I love your work and can't wait to read more.
WolfDarkfur chapter 80 . 1/3
Thank you so much for this fic, definitely one of the best I've read. I was ill and read all 285,000 words in 2 days, it kept me entertained and kept my spirits up so thank you so much for that. I'm pretty sure you don't need another review telling you how amazing it is 10 years after you wrote it, so I won't rave about what I loved, though I will say the disclaimers certainly were original!
jazsqr chapter 1 . 12/31/2013
This was a delightfully crafted story, balanced between great character moments and interesting plot. I love that the plot moved quickly and conflict is met head on rather than drawn out over too many filler chapters.
Re-Animated chapter 2 . 12/30/2013
I could imagine Glorfindel doing a face plant there in the beginning. XD
Re-Animated chapter 1 . 12/30/2013
Sounds like a fun story! And a long one...Yay!
momo552 chapter 59 . 12/6/2013
Well, the story was good and original. I liked how she ran away and her relationship, but I didnt like how she started to act childish and the lack of maturity of the character. Also, this was far too long! lol I couldn't finish it for the life of me!
lune de Salogel chapter 4 . 11/18/2013
That last sentence, I cracked up so hard... Oh, my gosh. That was... awesome. I think I almost choked.

:) Awesome.
Miriel Tolkien chapter 25 . 10/28/2013
*dies laughing at Rachel's encounter with Fred*
Miriel Tolkien chapter 24 . 10/28/2013
Fred, let me guess...the tip of Aragorn or Legolas's sword? )
Miriel Tolkien chapter 23 . 10/28/2013
Bahaha, the whole Bob thing made me crack up. So perfect. And I've loved all your disclaimers thus far. DD
Larisya chapter 80 . 9/14/2013
Yes! The alt ending especially is AWESOME. This whole story is AMAZING. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Hantanyel!
Artë Manwathiel Eruwaedhiel Silmānaenim Beriothieniel
Larisya chapter 78 . 9/14/2013
Didn't Boromir mention castrating Glorfindel if he hurt Rachel or the like? Did he learn it from her? The concept, I mean.
the Random Oliphaunt chapter 26 . 6/29/2013
hmmm, does Glorfindel know the airspeed velocity of an unladen balrog?
2,360 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »