Reviews for I Guess it was in the Cards
Nyanysaur chapter 30 . 3/27
Hi there! I personally am not the biggest Yu-Gi-Oh fan, but this looked the most approachable of the “Best of ” section, so I chose it. And wow, this really deserves a spot there! I would like to mention I didn’t read *all* of the story. (By that I mean prologue, part of 1st chapter, and this.) But, it seems to be written in a professional manner, and by your first page you went for accurate character portrayal! I love seeing another person who wants to keep their fanfiction accurate to the canon! :) You do use the “d” word, as I’ve seen in other fanfictions. I understand why you do this; most likely because it’s an appropriate word to express the characters’ thoughts, and that it’s used in the anime/manga itself. I don’t see a problem with it, even if I personally prefer clean writings.
So, despite not reading the entire thing, here’s my base thoughts, my first impression: Elegantly worded, details provided, dedication to correct character portrayal, and an original plotline. Sounds awesome!
Fictional Sadist chapter 15 . 11/30/2017
I love in the fire ice metaphor you used that you made Seto fire. I completely agree with it. Alot of people would have made him the ice but he pushes too far and acts with too much passion (in my opinion) to simply be ice. I totally agree that atem is colder than him.
Mistress-of-eternal-Darkness chapter 30 . 4/11/2016
OMGG. This is my 8th? 9th? time reading this fic and it has never stopped being less than fantastic.
I haven't read prideshipping in a few years and I suddenly got the urge to pick it up again.
Tried to search for fics that I haven't read before but they just weren't up to caliber.
I knew that by re-reading this fic I would be able to satisfy that intense need to feel and resonate with them both, even though I know how it ends already, each up and down in the plot leaves me hungry for more.
It's so magical to read something that you agree wholeheartedly with. From their past, to their personalities, their strengths and weaknesses, their feelings, what they mean to eachother, even what their cards embody. It's exhilarating to read this fic, absolutely addicting. I couldn't stop midway, had to get to the end (even though I remember what happens in the end perfectly) but now that I am at the end, this gaping emptiness is there waiting.
I am going to have to devour another one of your fics.
This is like a neverending cycle of doom TT
Hirami chapter 30 . 9/12/2015
I think it's really amazing how you can tell a story, when it doesn't really have that much 'plot' ongoing. Like, it revolves almost only around the anime but it's still so detailed and holy shit, what you can do with describing feelings...
I honestly don't know how to express myself "
I loved that the FanFic was darker than the usual Yu-Gi-Oh Stuff, but it's still very realistic.
Anyway, I suck at reviews, just wanted to say I liked it 3
hillary603 chapter 30 . 1/13/2015
oh My good! Just beutiful! Thanks for the hard work, it was an incredible story. Altough i am not used to short chapters you made so each one was important and deep. I love how you managed the feelings witout lo sing the integrista of the characters. I love the story thanks!
Ale chapter 21 . 5/12/2013
This was another good chapter, and I like the parallels that you write (and that do exist, but I don't usually think of them). Particularly, I like the parallels between Yami and Kaiba, but the parallels between Yugi and Mokuba are also pretty interesting as well as the parallel of the relationship between Yugi and Yami compared with Kaiba and Mokuba.

Anyway, I'm still enjoying the story :)
Ale chapter 16 . 5/10/2013
Surprisingly, your Mokuba as narrator is probably my favorite of your narrators. It's probably because I'm so used to people mangling his character that yours seems especially refreshing.
It's great to see Mokuba's thoughts on the relationship. I like how he's for it because Kaiba's happy, and Kaiba deserves to be happy, but he's just waiting for everything to fall apart. I imagine it's because everything always seems to fall apart for them, especially the things that make Kaiba happy. Simultaneously, Mokuba is more than a little scared of Yami, especially since he knows his big brother likes to piss people off...and Yami has been known to kill/torture others for less.

Anyway, I'm still enjoying the story.
Ale chapter 8 . 5/10/2013
I really liked your dartboard chess thing. It's a really creative idea, and it was a good way for the two to become more comfortable around eachother. Well, I guess moreso for Kaiba, but it shows that Yami knows him well enough to come up with something like this.

The Kaiba and Mokubo povs in this chapter was really well done and added to the story. I liked Mokuba's thoughts on Yami a lot. It's what a normal person would think about the two of them interacting, but neither Kaiba nor Yami is exactly normal :P

As for your question about too long a lead up, I generally prefer stories that take a more leisurely build-up to the characters actually becoming a couple. Moreso in cases where characters have relationship issues/are not likely to quickly jump into things. It also depends on how much groundwork the source material actually has. For example, if two characters are crushing on eachother in canon, it makes easy sense for them to get together quickly in fanfic. Same goes for characters that easily trust or are emotional (in the good way, not the angsty way). Whereas characters that don't trust easily in canon, or have little interaction/negative interactions with the other character would take some time to build believably into a relationship. I feel rambly... What I'm saying is that all the little stuff that builds into a relationship makes things feel more real and makes the story flow better. It also keeps things more in character even if the events portrayed are very out of character. It's part of why I think any character can be paired with any character if the writing is done well enough. Obviously some pairings would be a LOT harder than others to portray realistically.
I'm sure some readers just want smut and done with, but I GREATLY prefer plot to my stories, even if the plot is just two characters getting together in a realistic way. The time it takes to get there varies character to character. My answer is that the lead-up should take however long necessary to keep things realistic. Though my expectations are pretty low for most fanfics.
I do have to say, I am enjoying this one so far!
Ale chapter 6 . 5/10/2013
I'm really enjoying this story so far. I like the set-up, and I like the characterizations. I think they are pretty spot on.

I'm interested that Seto is comforted by Yami because the other man can kill him if he starts to go dark again. It just shows how twisted his thoughts are, how much he's afraid of becoming Gozuburo again, and how much he wants to protect his little brother from his darkness.

Anyway, I'm loving it so far :D
The Cowardly Mechanic chapter 30 . 1/16/2013
can i just say I am in love with this story? i love the way you managed to really keep the characters as they are and i love the symbolism you used. one of the best stories i've read involving the two.
EvilMidget6 chapter 30 . 12/4/2012
Another story of yours that I have thoroughly enjoyed - a little journey inside both their minds. I realised last night that I hadn't read this one...it was a total treat.

As always I just love your writing and insights into these two. Thanks for this.
Maria chapter 30 . 8/5/2012
Thank you so much for this beautiful story.. I have no words that will compliment it properly, so I'll only leave my thanks.
cuddlykids chapter 30 . 4/20/2012
Okay, I know it's been an age since you wrote this but really, it is the most amazing piece of fanfiction I have ever read in my entire life. This may be just me but I like the monologue kind of thing. Dialogue's nice for character development but I like to have insight into what the characters are thinking because they usually don't say what they think.

I look forward to reading the rest of your work.

Also, this really has given me a new appreciation for Mokuba. I haven't read much of the manga to make much an opinion on his depiction there but the dubbed version makes me dislike him. It's like how I don't like Tristan but Honda is hilarious. And anyway, thank you for sharing this.
deepbluanything chapter 30 . 2/11/2012
I first read this story ages ago, probably not long after it was originally posted. I remember being drawn into the narratives of Kaiba and Yami, into their very real relationship. The image that always stuck with me from this story has been the final moments of their duel. It seemed so obvious, so perfect, and it was this image that made me find this story and read it all over again. Just wanted to compliment you on a job well done, and thank you for a poignant, emotional read.
Guest chapter 30 . 2/5/2012
This is freaking AWESOME!