Reviews for The Summer of the Phoenix
inlovewiththeeternalstuddamon chapter 38 . 12/17/2020
I loved this story, what a great characterization of everyone! Have you ever considered writing a Sirius X OC fan fiction? I think it's hard to find someone able to capture everyone accurately. Would love to read more of you writing!
rebecca-in-blue chapter 38 . 3/30/2020
Geez, what a buildup to Harry's arrival. "with bated breath" feels like a bit much. I did like the hug and conversation between him and Lupin before the group left, even though I knew it wouldn't end with him letting Sirius come along. And heh, all that nastiness between him and Snape was actually pretty funny to me. That's two men with grudges, all right. Molly and Arthur are so big for trying to be civil to Snape. This ending does feel a little abrupt, but I've definitely enjoyed reading this story and seeing how Sirius (and everyone else) spent their time away from Harry. I'll be recommending this at my forum. :)
rebecca-in-blue chapter 37 . 3/23/2020
"Anger was the best proof that you were still alive" is so sad to me, as is all the fear and uncertainty setting in as they try to figure out how Harry was attacked by Dementors in broad daylight. But it's good to see Molly's temper actually come in handy for once - it was exactly what Mundungus deserved! I'm looking forward to Harry's arrival in this fic. Poor Sirius needs something to be happy about.
so far so gone chapter 38 . 3/20/2020
This has got to be one of my favourite canon fics. I love it!

It really does show Sirius’ character and his feelings towards being kept in the dark. I loved your characterisation of everyone else, and I’m glad no one was bashed or portrayed inaccurately. The writing was great—especially the dialogue which I find most fic writers do unrealistically.

I honestly hope you decide to continue, maybe until the kids leave for Hogwarts? I really wanted to see that bit of OOTP from Sirius’ perspective.
rebecca-in-blue chapter 36 . 3/16/2020
Oh my, I loved seeing the aftermath of the expulsion letter from this side. It was all so well-written and intense. Poor Sirius, feeling so useless at not being able to help. It's understandable that he's suffering from ptsd and flashbacks, and it's hard to know that he's not going to get the help he needs. I am glad that Remus and the Order are there for him.
rebecca-in-blue chapter 35 . 3/16/2020
Heh, it was fun to see everyone ganging up on Snape in the beginning. I lol'ed at Sirius's "Who cares?" I think Tonks is being nicer to him than he really warrants. I also liked seeing the Weasley kids get caught at their eavesdropping. It's sad to see how staying in the house is taking such a toll on Sirius, and I think with all the recent quarantines, a lot of people could relate!
rebecca-in-blue chapter 33 . 3/9/2020
This chapter has a very downtime feel to it, but I like that Grimmauld Place is gradually becoming a more homey, normal place to live. That Daily Prophet article about Dumbledore is pretty funny - and after the previous chapter, I'm starting to think he deserves it!
rebecca-in-blue chapter 32 . 3/9/2020
Ooh, this chapter just makes me so angry. I sure hope Dumbledore has a good excuse for why he couldn't/wouldn't prove Sirius's innocence, but I can't imagine what it is. This must be such a hard conversation for him to have too, but I think his "To old times reborn" shows that he's trying to move forward in a very brave way. What a mess the Ministry comes off as here.
rebecca-in-blue chapter 31 . 3/2/2020
Yes, a post-meeting drinking session is exactly what they all needed! I lol'ed at Lupin saying that Fred and George reminded him of James and Sirius back in the day - yes, he is too right! I loved hearing about the World Cup from Tonks's perspective. Even though it was a scary incident for her (and everyone else involved), warm fuzzy points all around for stories and wine around the fire.
rebecca-in-blue chapter 30 . 3/2/2020
I love the way you write group scenes in this story. The nuances and interactions between all these different characters feel just right to them. A few of the little touches I loved here were Minerva touching Sirius's arm and Dumbledore carrying right on all coolly after their tiff. I feel bad for Remus and how Sirius automatically assumes that he's there to lecture. Ron and Hermione swearing not to tell Harry anything at the end is a sad note, too.
rebecca-in-blue chapter 29 . 2/24/2020
I'm impressed with all the structure and planning that the Order (and you) put into things in this chapter. We didn't see a lot of this side of things in the series, and it fits in so well with the books. I love that moment when Dumbledore reminds them all that it's still their duty to protect the Ministry, even as much as they hate the current Minister and most of the people working for him.
rebecca-in-blue chapter 28 . 2/24/2020
Haha, I love Sirius giving the kids advice on how to eavesdrop and stay hidden about it. Of course he's the best person to give advice there because he's done it all himself. I lol'ed so hard when Moody caught them all at it! It's been a while since I read OotP, so I'd forgotten about the Daily Prophet's smear campaign against Harry. Poor kid.
rebecca-in-blue chapter 27 . 2/17/2020
I really like the way you humanize Snape and build sympathy for him here. How typical of him to hide his wounds and keep a stiff upper lip about them, no matter how bad this gets. What I love most is Sirius's reaction to seeing Snape and Hestia. Of course, he's hated Snape for so long (and so have I) that he can't believe how anyone else could be semi-cordial with him. The delving into why Snape is doing all this is good too, since it's something that so many characters were guessing about for most of the series.
rebecca-in-blue chapter 25 . 2/17/2020
I love that Hermione spends so much time organizing all the books in the library and chiding Sirius about which ones to throw away, because of course she does! Crookshanks roaming around was a nice moment, but what really got me was Sirius and Snape butting head at the end. You write them and their pure contempt for each other so well.
rebecca-in-blue chapter 24 . 2/10/2020
Hahaha, this chapter was such a fun read. It was great to see all these characters together exploring this creepy old house. I loved the kids' reactions to learning more about the Order, Hermione's reaction to finding out the Blacks had house-elves, and (maybe best of all) Sirius's reaction to Hermione being so nice to Kreacher. I loved Fred's "I thought our mother was bad" line - too true!