Reviews for Sky and Shore
Dracos chapter 2 . 9/16/2003
I respectfully disagree, Achariyth. In similar vein, the works of HP Lovecraft did not need annotation. No one needed to know the obscure thought paths that were being referred to in the story to appreciate the story as it was written. Yet they were, and the information contained, like most annotations, was both interesting and of a nature that would be awkward to provide within the framework of a story. I'd daresay they'd detract from the elegance of the work. Annotations are similar to the underbody of a car. They are not necessary to be shown and add nothing to the performance of the car by showing them, but that doesn't stop them from being nifty and desired by some to look at.

I thought the story was clear and evokative the first time. I also found the glimpse at the underbody of it to be interesting on a completely separate merit. Good job.
achariyth chapter 2 . 9/16/2003
Y'know, you didn't need to annotate this. Much of the myth information should have been part of the story to begin with. That you felt you had to explain what was going on is a sign that you didn't do your job as a writer the first time around. The reader shouldn't need to be in on the concept before reading a story. It is the writer's responsibility to provide the information necessary to understand the story within the story itself.

This could have been good, but the missing myth-related information within the story and the over-subtle character references cripple the readability of the work.
Jihi chapter 2 . 9/16/2003
A very interesting story good mixture of old and new, the thing is i've read the story of Urashima Taro as well so it was very nice. In the story you kept mentioning the compass points did you mean to include the 4 divine beasts as well because you mentioned the turtle of the north and the dragon of the east. Well anyway i look forward to seeing more of your work.
jennyjennai chapter 1 . 9/15/2003
I'm not really sure what was going on at times, but I did enjoy reading this. It was a bit more sophisticated and mysterious than we are used to, but again it was very good. I'm not sure but I think Naru was his promised girl but something changed and he ended up with Mutsumi for a very long time. Then it seemed the [GODS? GODDESSES?] people decided to try to bring Keitaro back to his destined path. The characters themselves are probably out of Chinese or Japanese mythology - but my grasp of those subjects are below rudimentary, I'm just guessing here. Well written and actually nice to read too.
KevinEC chapter 1 . 9/14/2003
This seems to be a really good story, though I admit to being confused by most of it. I'm hoping for future installments to clear this up, or maybe just a direction to some info that will help me figure this out. Thanks for a good store regardless, though.
beege chapter 1 . 9/14/2003
It's obvious enough that in this story most of the girls at the Hinata Inn are figures from Japanese mythology/religion (or descended from them) and that they had designs on Keitaro and Naru. If I understand the plot correctly Keitaro was actually meant to be with Mutsumi, until Kitsune intervened to pair him with Naru instead, a change that the others then decide to tolerate.

Near as I can figure, Su is Amaterasu's daughter.

Could you e-mail me to say if I'm right or wrong?

P.S: Why the lag between releasing this at florestica and on ?