Reviews for Talking Hurts
Darkover chapter 5 . 12/11/2011
Dear Lipstick: Thank you. I would have liked a slightly more upbeat ending, but at least Maedhros is going to try to live again, insofar as I can tell. Strangely, though, even Fingon asked Maedhros if he wished himself dead. What is it with these people? As comforters, they rank alongside those of Job. Anyway, after reading chapter three, I thought that was the last chapter of this story, and I was pleased to learn that it was not. BTW, if you meant for the Elves to be "happy," as your note at the end of this chapter indicates, then IMHO the ending should really be a bit more upbeat. Lack of despair is not exactly the same as happiness, you know. But thank you for writing this tale and posting it. Sincerely, Darkover
Darkover chapter 3 . 12/11/2011
Dear Lipstick: If Maedhros is being "unreasonable," then IMHO, he is entitled to be so for at least awhile. True, Maglor made the right, if difficult, decision not to surrender or make any promises to Morgoth just to get the eldest brother back, because Morgoth is a liar and deceiver, and would never have released Maedhros, or returned the latter to his kin. But I will never understand why Maedhros' brothers never even attempted to look for him, much less rescue him. And if the people surrounding Maedhros in this story are supposed to be his allies and loved ones, he was probably better off in Angband. Not because they cannot comprehend how much pain and humiliation he has endured, because after all, not only have they not suffered in the same way, but at this point there is no precedent for the degree of torment he has suffered; but because they seem astonishingly lacking in any kind of sympathy, empathy, or compassion. That worthless healer should be thrown out. Not only does she behave as if she believes Maedhros has no right to be alive, but she would like to kill him off. Curufin has the bloody nerve to argue with Maedhros that the eldest brother has not suffered as much as he has, and Maglor, while he alone does seem to care about how much Maedhros has suffered, seems to believe that his older brother should be comforting *him.* It is as if they all regard Maedhros as some kind of embarrassment, because he survived! Perhaps that is how you meant for them to be perceived by the readers. They are Noldorin Elves, and the sons of Feanor, after all. Would you consider adding another chapter to this story, one that would perhaps indicate Maedhros is slowly getting better, and might end this story on a note of hope? Just a suggestion. Thanks for writing and posting this. Sincerely, Darkover
Confused Pumpkin chapter 5 . 9/4/2011
Argh, but this is perfect. The insanity. The cutting words. The pain. Maedhros is perfect. His views on certain things and the way his mind seems to drift are great ways of showing how his torment has warped him. A really, really good job!
Makalaure chapter 5 . 1/11/2011
Nice story. I like your interpretation of Maglor. However, your grammar could use a little work.

"loosing my mind" It should be 'losing'.
Theo1379 chapter 5 . 12/29/2006
Wow.

I have to say, I was initially slightly revulsed by this story. I'm normally not a fan of either Maedhros/Fingon stuff or of graphic Maedhros in Angband stuff. So the fact that I read through five chapters of it says something about your skill as a writer.

Your beginning really grabbed me - having an opening that really reaches out and grabs people is absolutely necessary, and so few people do it. I also really like the fact that the narrative voice changed - at first Maedhros's slightly confused, distressed narration, and then this brutally rational description. I think you got a real sense of someone who is incredibly traumatised. Just the way that things are described - no euphamisms, no skirting from the subject. Just the idea that he's so detached from himself its almost like he's not describing himself. I think so many people who write about Maedhros don't think about the psychological ramifications for what happened. So very well done on that front.

I do think some of the details were a bit gratuitous. Perhaps you felt that was necessary. Certainly the recurring male rape idea creates a sense of total horror at what was happening in Angband, but it might be more effective if it was used less often. Or perhaps if it was just hinted at occasionally - sometimes what's not said is more shocking.

But overall, very well written, and totally engrossing.
Deborah Judge chapter 5 . 6/26/2005
Oh, beautiful and powerful, and I love the hope at the end. I'm so, so happy that you could drag some hope and sweetness out of this mess. Thank you.
RavenLady chapter 5 . 4/23/2005
Very disturbing, but well worth the read. Well-written and horrifyingly real. Maedhros is incredibly tough . . . nice bit of hope at the end, too. They need it. *wipes eyes*
Arthien1188 chapter 5 . 2/7/2005
*sniffles* Wonderful. I love it. It's going on my favorite stories list right now! *sigh*
Doegred chapter 1 . 3/30/2004
Your damn Quendi can say whatever he wants, this is moving.
Especially the, say, first chapter ? I s'pose it is this kinda poetic quality that the others chapters lack - well, lack, no, just don't have. Less.
But the rest of it is just as good. Tis among the rare fics I can read over and over again, with the same delight...(is 'delight' really fitting ? it is tough, and anytime I read it I know I'm going to find it harder than I expected, and yet, it so well-written, and moving, and...)
I just love it.
As I love your Quendi, the way the are, so different from any of their others 'they', unlike mine, and yet delightful - dunno how to tell them...
Keep 'em well.
Beatrisu chapter 5 . 12/6/2003
I WANT MORE! This is one of the most touching stories I have ever read... It made me cry, seriously, you are so good! I just want to thank you for writing such a great story... (and besides, I love fingon and Maedhros slash... it's so cute!)
skatinggeek chapter 5 . 11/17/2003
*Sigh* So beautiful. I'm glad your unruly muses took you here.

I'm only sad that this is the last installment of TH for now. But it seems a very good resting point, indeed. After going through all that, they deserve a little peace and privacy of their own.
Maid of Ainur chapter 5 . 11/17/2003
*claws incoherently at Lipstick's leg*

You know what? You almost made me cry. It is that evil.

:'(
Fuzzy Blue chapter 5 . 11/17/2003
...

...

*Is completely speechless.*

I'm glad your muses rebelled. That was fantastic. And at the end, you made the prettiness work. Go you.
jilian baade chapter 5 . 11/17/2003
Yes, Maedhros has come a long, long way in this chapter. I throughly agree to leave it for now, because for now it is done. Because Maedhros has to become aware that Fingon has saved in more ways then cutting him free of that mountain. I hope they are very happy!
jilian baade chapter 4 . 11/17/2003
*shudders* I really feel for Maedhros in this chapter. How did he survive? One tough bastard, the red head. I'd give him a hug, but somehow I don't think Maedhros likes mortals touching him.