Reviews for To Flicker and Fade
French Pony chapter 4 . 7/19/2004
This was a very nice series of stories. It's clear that you've done some real thinking about mortality and time, and it shows. I like your characterizations; you resisted a lot of the most common tropes and simplifications such as turning Elladan and Elrohir and the hobbits into idiotic pranksters, and you've made each character three-dimensional. They think about life and death in an adult manner, and they express themselves nicely. I think I especially liked the metaphor that Elladan and Elrohir created, the more so since it was so clear that they were making it up as they went along.

Technically, your writing is pretty good. There are a few clunky moments when you include rather more exposition than you need, you have Sindarin Elves speaking Quenya, and you did fall into the trap of using the word "she-Elf" to refer to a female of the Eldar, but those are relatively minor flaws compared to the general high quality of this work.

I must confess that I've never read "The Smith of Wootton Major." I've kept meaning to read it, but I never did get around to that. The coin in Milo Burrows's birthday cake is a fairly old tradition, one that I thought might go well with hobbit society. I'm glad you liked the thing with the chamomile tea; that kind of metaphor is something I try to keep to a minimum, because I'm always afraid it will be too cheesy for words. On the other hand, chamomile tea is used as a soporific, and it is in fact fairly bitter, so I guess the "bitter cup" connection was unavoidable. I'm glad you liked it, though.
Runi-chan chapter 4 . 5/29/2004
No, Elrond's not that mean. The way he acts is perfectly reasonable(and paralells the Beren and Luthien story) due to all that he's suffered through.

Yes, those brothers...they would get along well with the hobbits, wouldn't they? They both seem fairly light hearted, though one is more serious than the other.
Runi-chan chapter 3 . 5/29/2004 cute!

-smiles- We think alike. I always thought that Elladan was the lighter hearted one, and Elrohir a bit more serious.
Runi-chan chapter 1 . 5/29/2004
I like this; and you know your Middle Earth history, which is excellent.
Jess chapter 1 . 5/7/2004
Were you at Di's 13 b-day party?
I was the hyper blondie...
(I hate pink too)
Diana misses you very much,
More that the elves missed middle earth
Comeback soon
You wouldve been a nice friend to have
Mirasaui chapter 4 . 1/12/2004
Catching up here on the last two chapters. Elrohir and Elladan's explanation of mortality to little Estel was very touching. Yes, Elrond has seen much sorrow and despair in his life, and that Arwen chooses the same path as Elros, is just another page in the sad book of the story of his life. "Into every life a little rain must fall." To Elrond and many of the Elves it seems it storms.
I am happy to note you learned how to format the paragraphs, it makes for much easier reading. I enjoyed you story, in fact the last chapter brought tears to my eyes. Keep up the good work! Hope to see more from you in the future.
Gerri chapter 4 . 1/11/2004
A fitting ending to this series of farewells, fitting that it should end with a story of one who has had to say farewell many times over, even to people that he hardly knew.
And somehow, Arwen singing with her father seemed to remind me of Nat King Cole singing "Unforgettable" with her own father; strange that even the song has some significance to this story. :)
Well done, and I hope you write more stuff like this! :)
shukuchi chapter 4 . 1/11/2004
it's over? already? wah!
anyways, as with all the chapters, very sad and beautiful. it made a good and fitting ending, even if i'd rather have there be more.
write new fanfics to make up for it!
shirebound chapter 4 . 1/11/2004
With you, I consider Elrond to be one of the most tragic figures of the Trilogy (along with Frodo and Arwen). This is a haunting and effective farewell between Elrond and Arwen. Very nice!
(One tiny correction you might want to make is that Aragorn *would* have had memory of his mother.)
I've enjoyed this look at the Elves you've given us. You write beautifully.
shirebound chapter 3 . 1/11/2004
Oh my, what a masterful look into how an Elf might explain (and think about) mortality! I'll remember this chapter, and will probably read it many times.
shukuchi chapter 3 . 11/6/2003
i really liked the snow and ice metaphor. once again you sucessfully portray the sadness of the elves. write more!
Gerri chapter 3 . 11/5/2003
Beautiful. That's the only word that I can think of to describe this. How you managed to think of a metaphor as profound as that is beyond me, but I love it, all the same.

Most commendable is the way you are able to carry the same tone of bittersweetness throughout the story; such thoughts on mortality and immortality are truly enlightening.
Mirasaui chapter 2 . 11/1/2003
Again, quite a lovely chapter. Look forward to more!
shukuchi chapter 2 . 10/8/2003
guess who?

really neat fanfic, sorta sad, is it all going to be about fading elves? who else will you use? Elrond?

great name, it fits the fanfic very well. the first chapter was so sad! you should write more of it.

write some funny fanfics too and some...

write more!

say hi to your multiple personalities for me!
shirebound chapter 2 . 10/6/2003
This chapter is absolutely beautiful, Raven. I can well imagine just such a conversation taking place!

This is such a great thought - - "Perhaps not recent by the standards of mortals, but for the Elves it was scarcely yesterday."

And that final paragraph is truly wonderful.