Reviews for Coming Home
Ilada'Jefiv chapter 5 . 5/10/2008
Wonderful story! I love Thranduil and your characterization of him is perfect! Great job! Ila
Ne'ith5 chapter 5 . 3/3/2008
Excellent!
SeruleanOrbs chapter 5 . 4/5/2005
I love this. You keep his prideful side, n yet gave him a compassionate, caring side, one that sacrificed much for his people (he stayed in ME for them, did he not?). He is not perfect, but he is well-meaning. And I always thought that Legolas was alittle too emotionless in the film, so its something pleasant to see him so joyful to be reunited with his father, so much so that he would run across a hall filled with people in his travel-stained clothes. Too often he is protrayed as a pranker (which i do love), but the fact that that side of him is not address, makes his reaction all the more touching. I can imagine him as a sweet young elf, just as thranduil sees him.
StarryDiadem chapter 5 . 10/14/2004
And what can I say except thank you for pointing me to this story from your current one. I loved its richness - richness of characterisation, ploy and emotion, that counterpoint beautifully the scarcity and need you're writing about. And hope is in the balance of the two, of course.

Just beautiful.

Anna
NoName2014 chapter 5 . 4/19/2004
Hello!
The purpose of this review is two fold. First, to tell you how wonderful this story is. I really like the characterization of Thranduil and the other elves.
Second, to request permission to post a link to this fic from my Anti-Evil!Thranduil website (you can find the link it my profile).
Thank you and, once again, well done _.
Gemma chapter 1 . 11/21/2003
Apologies for using your review board this way, but as you have no email posted, it seemed the best way of making contact. I run the fanfiction archive The Trees Remember, which contains stories touching in some way on the history of Mirkwood. I would be very interesting in archiving this story, both for its quality writing and its near-unique historical focus. If you would like to look around the archive, and get in touch, its URL is: w w / lotr / . Many thanks for such an involving story.
A. Meril chapter 5 . 10/20/2003
Wonderful. This is a review for the last three chapters, and they were all excellent.

I think that the part I liked the most was Thranduil's battle with the wine decanter. Reminiscent of a present-day alcoholic, his strength of will was wonderfully described.

The end was lovely as well: Legolas' return. And so many details (ie, the giving of East Lorien to Celeborn), were excellently explained.

Wonderful job.

Elanial

PS- Just a note... You reviewed my fic, "A Caged Bird", with excellent constructive criticism, and I would love to have more of those when I update. But thanks to your review, I've been reshaping Luthien's character, and that is taking some time. It is not a lost story, just slightly put on hold. I will keep reviewing your fics, and hopefully you can review mine. The criticism is incredibly helpful.
Wild Iris chapter 5 . 10/19/2003
Excellent story, densely textured and detailed while remaining highly readable. The characterization of Thranduil had compelling depth, and struck a nice balance between his hinted weaknesses and his strong honour and wisdom. The implied characterization of Oropher was a significant feat as well, carrying out the same balancing act at one remove. Cool stuff, and very naturally conveyed through the interactions with Celeborn and the advisors. Though like Blue Iris, I thought that Legolas was maybe overly youthful in parts; there seemed a discrepancy between a 'tall, slender figure wrapped in a travel-stained gray cloak' and the description of Legolas 'wriggling' in Thranduil's (admittedly, probably asphixiating) embrace. But that's the only quibble with characterization.

This was a truly clever expansion of the brief note re. Thranduil and Celeborn's meeting in the Appendices. It's the first time I've seen an explanation of why Celeborn took over what had been Oropher's territory - the first time I'd realized that an explanation was called for, even :) Very politic of Thranduil to make a gift of the land he had no hope of controlling anyway! The story is also a fascinating glimpse of the lifestyle and resilience of the Silvan Elves. Very satisfying all round. Thank you.
Deana chapter 5 . 10/19/2003
YAY! YAY! YAY! Legolas came home! WOO HOO! Great story! I wish there were more chapters though...*hint hint* ;)
feanen chapter 5 . 10/19/2003
nice ending
sdrtkjdr6yjdrtyj6uxe6xe46j chapter 5 . 10/19/2003
Always good to see a happy ending to a story. And a good ending to a well written story like this is even better.

Just a couple of dissonances I found a bit jarring in the last chapter. I thought that according to Tolkien, the eldar did not reproduce during times of war, so it was a bit odd to think of elflings running around, especially at the end of the third age when the elves were as a whole, a fading race. The second was the reunion. Perhaps I have seen to may pier-side reunions and homecomings, living in a big military area, but it felt a bit to jolly when these sort of things are usually things of very deep emotion. Not that you did not show that well, but Legolas seemed less like a battle worn warrior than a little kid.

On the whole though a very engaging story that kept me waiting to see what happened next.
sdrtkjdr6yjdrtyj6uxe6xe46j chapter 4 . 10/12/2003
Another wonderfully meditative chapter. There is a very peaceful quality about your work. I could see very clearly in my mind's eye the dawn coming to the forest, so well did you describe it.

Good to see Thranduil finding peace in his own heart.
Deana chapter 4 . 10/12/2003
Aww, Thranduil misses his son so much! I have to admire him for not going insane with worry, lol! PLEASE post more soon; reunite Legolas and his father! I eagerly await their reunion! :)
JastaElf chapter 3 . 10/6/2003
What a marvelous story! There has been far too little written of what REALLY went on back home while the Fellowship was off doing their thing... and this is a delightful example. Not delightful in terms of subject matter, for this is a sad if triumphant tale... but delightful in that you have an excellent Thranduil characterization, and I love the portrayal of the Silvan Elves of Mirkwood. Nice too, always, to see Celeborn... and the scene where Thranduil partitions his realm to thank his kinsman (and pay him... grin...) was particularly well done.

Will Thranduil ask Celeborn at some point if he has had any word from the Fellowship? After all, Celeborn has seen Legolas, alive and well if grieving, far more recently than Thranduil has-AND he knows by this point that Mithrandir is alive, since while shadow was being defeated in the north, the battle to free Gondor was fought in the south.

I look forward to seeing where you go with this, and I thank daw for recommending it to the Royal Mirkwood yahoo group!
daw the minstrel chapter 3 . 10/6/2003
Another good chapter. Thranduil's struggle with the wine was tensely done. I would say he has reason to drown his sorrows and fears and tension and really good reasons for not doing so. I also liked the scene of the dividing of Mirkwood.