Reviews for The Fountainhead
RavenLady chapter 3 . 3/10/2005
*snort* The Vanyar, architects? We don't know they weren't, but . . . I'm not sure it suits them. I'll ignore that, though.

This story blew me away. I love the idea of Feanor influencing Turgon. Who else? I've never seen such insight into him before. And your descriptions are marvellous, as is fitting in an artist's story.
Beth Winter chapter 3 . 3/20/2004
I just want to say that I found this story lovely, and your take upon Turgon both novel and compelling. Great work!
Earonn chapter 1 . 10/2/2003
I like the kind of 'artist's obsession' that both Feanor and Turgon show. And one can feel what it was that later made Turgon ignoring Ulmo's warnings.

I only had some difficulties to understand why Fingolfin had such problems with his son's wish to become an architect. Even considering the feud between him and his artistical brother Feanor. I always imagined the Noldor as being drawn to every kind of craftmanship and art. But it's your story, of course! ;)

Thank you for the pleasant time I had with reading your story.
erunyauve chapter 3 . 9/27/2003
I have to confess that The Fountainhead is buried beneath some 15 years. I recall that I did not like it much, or rather, I found it fascinating, but some of Rand's philosophy and politics off-putting. I do remember the passion of Howard Roark.

As inspiration for this story, the passion of Roark suits Turgon perfectly - in The Fountainhead, Roark's passion for his creations is both admirable and his greatest threat; likewise, Turgon's passion for his city is his undoing, yet at the same time, it is the redemption of the Noldor (my favorite line in The Silmarillion is Huor's prediction: 'Yet if it stands but a little longer...').

At the same time, the grip of Gondolin upon her maker is part of the whole, sad cycle of the Noldor. Their greatest talent lies in the making of beautiful things, yet their fault lies in their love for such things. The fall that begins with Feanor and ends with the third Kinslaying arises on a lesser scale in Turgon's story; it is doomed to repeat itself in Celebrimbor's Eregion. In the end, Mandos' Doom is complete. The few remaining Noldor must hide behind such baubles of their making while the fate of Middle-Earth falls to Men.

I especially liked your conception of Feanor. There is much of Roark in him as well - both relate better to things than to people. In his wildness, there is something beautiful in Feanor that remains in spite of the evils he did. The artist is too often confused with the art in the mind of the audience, and Feanor suffers for it in his interpretation by readers - in this story, Fingolfin's feelings for his brother seem symbolic to me of too simple reduction of Feanor to a mere villain.
Maid of Ainur chapter 1 . 9/25/2003
It's beautiful. It's beautifully rendered. I love it. Especially the part where Idril walks along the wall, trailing her fingers along. The first window... the second window... it just adds up layer by layer. The quotes fit in wonderfully in that passage. The imagery, the details of the room, her actions, the way he never answers her. The description of the light.

The end gives a feeling of finality. Turgon seemed hopeless. All he had been planning, all of the drawings and dreams and structures in his head, the craziest, most perfect lines and buildings crumbling into fire. I could only wonder how he feels, all has been lost? His people are dying, but it does not matter. What matters is his city.

Argh. Sorry, am rambling and I apologise for missing the point of the story entirely. I totally love it.
Furius chapter 1 . 9/24/2003
I'm in awe and anguish at the same time. The Gondolin of Turgon is immensely beautiful, from it's conception to it's end. A glorious sense of art permeates every image in this story courtesy of a style that describes and yet makes the description usefully alive... I really like the idea of Turgon as the artisit, his core being, so to speak, in defiance to Fingolfin and his wishes and oddly in tune with Feanor's, yet having different sentiments. The dreams he has of the White City, from the dream house that crumbled into a fortress, to that upon the Helcaraxe of having Tirion anew, I love them, and I love how you show the character through aspirations and inspiration where action actually plays a lesser part, as a consequence. And Turgon, is, of course, wonderfully fantastical- Noldo elvish, definitely.
kasura chapter 1 . 9/24/2003
hmm...never thought of Turgon-Feanor relationship. Go figure it all goes back to Feanor... that elf stirred up too much trouble. great fic!