Reviews for The Road Ahead
Al chapter 30 . 1/5/2019
Lovved it! A very satisfying what if tale.
Merlynnod chapter 30 . 8/31/2016
I read this for the first time such a long time ago...I don't remember now if I reviewed then or not, but I hope that I did. :)
I love this story, and I wrote something along the same lines...inspired by the same quote from Stephen King that you provided. I think there are a lot of us out there, wandering around, revising and rewriting and recreating..."Putting right what once went wrong", lol! ;)
When I first came to this fandom, I was in the middle of a crisis...the foundations of a life I had always thought were made of iron turned out to be nothing more than sand, and so easily washed away by the actions and reactions of others. I felt I had no control and was left adrift, terrified and alone and in so much pain that life didn't seem worth living.
And because I couldn't make my own happy ending, I set out to create one for Frodo. I understood the grand and beautiful tragedy of his sailing off into the sunset as was written by Tolkien. Honestly, to have written anything else would have somehow cheapened what he had created. I respected that, but I also found it to be inescapably sad...and I had enough sadness for a lifetime already.

And then I sort of faded away from everything, including these beautiful stories, and I lived in a space apart, I wasn't living, I was existing. When you don't feel, you don't care, and eventually you start to wonder if you will ever care again...And then the anger starts, followed by the soul-crushing despair of hurts you cannot even really name and cannot heal...

But then I got a second chance. And now I'm back, and re-reading beautiful things, and seeing them from a new, and wiser, perspective. Just as you state in the beginning of your story, I was willing to give Frodo his happy ending, but I was too blind to see that I could create my own as well.

I love your story, and the truth that rings from it. The *decision* to move forward, to WANT to move forward, to live and dream and experience a life, even the parts that hurt, or shame, or regret. Knowing that the past, however bleak, is the source from which the future eventually grows, and that not all darkness lasts forever. Re-reading such lovely things as what you have created is a strange sort of nostalgia...I can so clearly remember the person I was thirteen years ago, and the comparison is stark, but promising. The road really does go ever on and on, down from the door where it began...
restinpace chapter 30 . 10/24/2013
Wow... just wow! Beautiful beautiful tale!
tiny hobbbbbit chapter 20 . 10/7/2010
I wonder if Pippin would still be judgemental instead of compassionate toward Frodo if he went through the exact same things that Frodo went Frodo. Frodo did suffer more than the others during the war because they carried a portion while Frodo had to carry the whole thing.
kitza chapter 30 . 2/27/2008
That was an absolutely charming story. I loved it! The end of LOTR never really sat right with me, or rather it just made me very sad that Frodo gave up on the world. Not quite suicide, but very similar, and I often wondered, even if he was healed in the Undying Lands, wouldn't he be very lonely without any other hobbits once Bilbo passed on. Thanks for the story, it was lovely.
me chapter 15 . 9/17/2005
I'm glad that Frodo got married, but I wish he moved back to bag end and took his wife with him. He belongs there.
Ami chapter 30 . 8/22/2005
I really loved this story from beginning to end. I especially loved this line from the prologue that so set the tone for this entire story:

"..only to find, on the brink of casting aside that life as a broken thing to be discarded, that in truth that life was all the more precious for its fragility, and for its endurance in the face of that fragility. "

I do love the ending to Lord of the Rings. You have given me a an insight as to "what might have been", and in some sense shown us just how cruel Tolkien really was to his beloved character.

Ami
manga-ghost chapter 30 . 4/17/2005
That was...amazing. (Bows and claps estastically)
manga-ghost chapter 18 . 4/16/2005
One word. Brilliant.
Kriszta chapter 30 . 8/25/2004
I just stumbled upon your story at "The West of the Moon", and I had to review! It is the best post war Frodo story and Frodo romance I've ever read, a very deep, meaningful tale. Thank you for writing it!
The Noble Platypus chapter 30 . 7/22/2004
I was actually directed to this story by a fellow member of the hobbit fluff community on Livejournal, and am very glad that I wandered over to check it out. This is a lovely story, and it is clear that a great deal of time, thought, and effort went into its creation. You should be proud of what you've accomplished! I went to your bio page to see if you'd written anything else and noticed that you haven't - are you planning to remedy this in the future? ;-) could only benefit from more of your work. If you do ever write anything else, please let me know; I'd love to read it! And thank you for sharing this wonderful story with the rest of us!

~Platy
Siofra1 chapter 30 . 7/22/2004
I just stumbled across this fic, and I just had to review. This is an amazing story. I loved every bit of it. Thank you for writing it. :)
Deb chapter 30 . 3/5/2004
The loveliest thing I have read in a long time.
I have read the books more times than I can recall, and the ending always leaves me with an ache-which you have lightened. Congratulations on a job well done!
tocourtdisaster chapter 30 . 2/2/2004
I read this story yesterday, after stumbling upon it, but it's taken me till now to be able to leave some sort of coherent response. I hope you don't mind a terribly long essay of sorts.
The first thing I thought when I started reading was, 'Oh no, not another Mary Sue!' But something in the way you wrote made me decide to stick around, and am I glad I did. Molly was the total opposite of a Mary Sue. You wrote her realistically and as a lass that I can see Frodo falling in love with.
Pippin's anger was very realistic. It was total justified, and I've never before seen anyone write him like this. I loved how you didn't make him just give up his anger without a fight.
The use of poems and songs was great. That's one thing I loved about Tolkien's work, and I'm glad that you chose to uphold the tradition.
And here's just some last, miscellaneous thoughts. The Gardner children were adorable, especially with their 'Uncle Frodo.' Sam was hilarious, sneaking around Frodo like he did all the time. I loved how the last chapter changed to Pippin's point of view. You handled him perfectly.
Sorry about the length of this, but I thought that a story of this caliber deserved a well-thought-out response. I couldn't just say 'I loved it!' and go about my way. Thank you for writing such a wonderful story.
Leah Beth
AllyrienDM chapter 30 . 1/12/2004
Oh. Is right! This is so sweet! I didn't expect another chapter, but this is such a nice ending...
60 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »