Reviews for Cattitude
Guest chapter 5 . 11/14/2012
Well... A few days ago, I challenged in an earlier review if you could create an origin story for Selina that would explain her becoming catwoman in a semi- serious medium. And after reading this... I'm left in stunned silence. This has got to be the best origin to Selina Kyle I have ever seen. Grant Morrison can choke on it. I never did like Morrison, mind you, or his attrocious Catwoman story; but you effectively stamped him into the dirt with this.

What can I say in review except that you're the most accomplished and talented fan fiction writer I've ever seen. You give such character and life to all your stories. When I read your work, I have to admire all you must have seen, studied, and experienced in life. Yours is clearly more interesting than mine ever has been and I couldn't begin to insert so much of my life experiences into a work of fiction. I consider myself a decent writer... Or at least, I believe I can be. But I don't write because the truth is, I don't have any stories to tell. There's not much about what I've done that I can draw personal inspiration from. And I know that's a weakness... A debilitating one that kills my attempts to write before they can even begin. And I refuse to be like every other fan fiction writer out there. I desire... A theme to my works. But I've no lessons to truly teach. I've learned that for one to write, one needs to live. And I've so much to catch up on in that department.

But you. You I envy. Its in the way you include french, your art knowledge, history, the details of places you've been, and personal experiences. Through your work I see more than a batman and catwoman story. I see you. I see your likes and dislikes. I see the nature of who you are. Your identity comes through in your works. One day I hope I can bare my soul in my writings as you do. You are truly amazing.

Thank you for this. You've... Inspired me and helped me reflect on a few things. That's more than any fan fic writer and most novelists ever have done.
Yuriski-1st chapter 4 . 12/16/2011
"I spun, startled, and saw – an awful lot of black. It was night, and yet this tall patch of blackness was darker than any of the regular dark around it."

And no sooner then finishing this sentence the 'Batman: The Animated Series' theme started playing in my head...

But, on a more serious note: It's incredibly sweet and almost a bit funny, to see their first encounters from both sides.
t wrecks chapter 5 . 12/8/2009
very good, insightful
t wrecks chapter 1 . 12/8/2009
very good, I like the quote
ladymirth chapter 5 . 12/17/2008
This was magnificent. In future, you shall be my one stop shop for all my Catwoman needs.
Cog in the Machine chapter 5 . 6/9/2008
Well, I'll be damned if this isn't just about perfect. When I first started your stories I noticed this one on the list first thing but waited to read my way up to it. It blew me away! Just...damn. I can't even compose my thoughts coherently but here goes...

Okay, first thing, I like that this flowed directly from the last tale. Bruce’s “challenge” struck a nerve so by God she’ll show him. I’m no good at introspection either – who is, really, except maybe Dr. Phil – so I can understand her reluctance. Her anger and frustration every time she’d encounter something upsetting is so true to life.

I appreciate how descriptive you are in her past adventures. I can see you did some serious research. Or perhaps some of that is from you directly. I don’t mean the stealing of course, but I detect a Cosmopolitan vibe running throughout your tales that can’t all have come from Wikipedia. :)

And François makes his return! I gotta admit: I love that guy. Not as much as I love Alfred though. His “little boxes” trick made me laugh. I’d be ticked off too, but how can you not appreciate it coming from someone like him? I wish I had an Alfred running around with me!

Love this line from Sensei: “You will only thrive when you are allowed to be what you are.” How true and yet how many of us pretend to be something we aren’t. I also enjoyed Selina’s discussion with Sensei about the mask. It reminded me of that Oscar Wilde quote, something along the lines of “Give a man a mask and he will tell you the truth.” It would seem these two lines contradict each other, but she needs that mask to reveal just what she is allowed to be. Wonderful.

I think my favorite of your rogues is Eddie. He's adorable in his own insane way. I like the way their friendship began in your tale. Nice homage to the old '60s show with the pink gas...at least that's what it reminded me of anyway. I always picture Frank Gorshin when reading your Riddler. There were some awfully silly things about that show, but I loved him.

And then! Oh! Here's where I get all aflutter. The Bat/Cat scenes were amazing. From the very beginning the tension in the air was palpable. It was a treat to see that "How hard do you want it to get?" line enacted. The story that first brought it up, "Fun and Games," I believe, is a favorite of mine. It was also great fun that at the same time she's thinking back on those encounters, Bruce is too. Oh Bruce, you never knew what hit you, did you? As for the kiss, I think "meow" sums it up quite nicely. :)

Of course, we can't have all this introspection without learning something. She learned quite a whopper. After all this time, "Cats don't regret" and all that, she admits stealing is wrong...that it hurts. Wow, that's a serious reality check. I highly doubt she'll run out and start building homes for Habitat for Humanity or join a convent as penance or anything, but it was good that she made that realization.

Urgh..ack...I think I've gone on long enough, no? Well, kudos to you if you read all this! I just wanted to say how much I thoroughly enjoyed this entire story. To tell the truth, none of Selina's origin stories in comics or otherwise have done it for me, so I'll just consider yours the one true origin, okay? Thank you for writing it.
24isover chapter 5 . 5/27/2008
Fantastic. Great backstory for Selena even though finding a Japanese sensei in a little Italian village is a bit of a stretch, i think.

Obviously a lot of thought and research went into this. I was especially fascinated with the Egyptian Mau. First thing that came into my mind was how strange that the word for cat in Mandarin sounds so like Mau (pronounced using the 1st intonation so that it lilts a little, like a meow)

Beautiful writing. I could cite so many lines that i like but that would mean almost every line in the story. This one stands out for some reason:

"There wasn’t any timeless malevolence behind it all, it was just – what human beings can descend to when they let themselves forget they can be heroes."

It takes me back to New York in the 80's and early 90's when Washington Square was indeed derelict. It's so different now...

As for the Batman/Catwoman interaction in Ch 4. Fabulous. Just fabulous. The descriptions were so detailed-from the setup to the action to the feelings. She was really so smitten from the start, wasn't she? I'd guess much more than him, too. She might not say it like he does (i.e. slip of the tongue "love of my life") but really, she's changed so much to be with him...

And the descriptions of their fights, just wow.
Wispr chapter 2 . 3/21/2008
I'm really enjoying this look into Selina's pas... doing a fantastic job!

Wispr
t wrecks chapter 4 . 12/20/2007
good one
t wrecks chapter 3 . 12/20/2007
great back story
t wrecks chapter 2 . 12/20/2007
Thnaks for all the cat quotes I am trying to name a new kitten
Nightarcher210 chapter 5 . 10/2/2006
Definitely my favorite Cattale, so far. (Although, the puce couch is pretty high up there. And the hairdo. I love the hairdo... not that either of those were actual stories, but you get the picture).
Nightarcher210 chapter 4 . 10/2/2006
I reaaly liked this chapter. The insertions from Bruce's log were great, and I loved the set up and execution of the banter. I'm off to read the final chapter, so ciaomeow until next time!
Nightarcher210 chapter 1 . 10/2/2006
This is really intriguing. I love the little asides about the history of cats. And Selina's personal history is brilliantly written. I can't wait to see what's next...
CalliopeMused chapter 5 . 5/3/2006
Catwoman and more Catwoman- and you've figured out what a woman and cat want. That alone is amazing. This story, like all your others, is enough to put a writer edging into writing something a little more fiction than fan into a strange humor. This story is amazing, and maybe, just maybe, practice can turn out something so complex (even excluding all side notes about cats)- then, envy sets in again.

There. I'll be honest enough to admit it. You have perfect dialogue, action, characters, description- the whole enchilada (marvelous things, you know).

And Selina? She's the girl that everyone loves (unless it's the movie that Shall Not Be Mentioned- caterwauling made visual) and no one but you seems to know well- but enough wistful ramblings, you've written plenty more to go sigh over.
48 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »