Reviews for My Salad Days
steamboat chapter 18 . 7/12/2013
What idiot said "suicide is painless"? Even with fictional characters, it hurt reading this masterful handling of this subject was breathtaking! Thank you for sharing this story with us!
MariShal chapter 18 . 6/27/2009
Wonderful, really beautiful story!

Love it a lot, their interaction is just so sweet and realistic. It makes a lot of sense.

Too bad this was not an episode.

Thanks for sharing!
anna7 chapter 18 . 12/23/2006
I just read this story and wanted to let you know that I enjoyed it vey much! I hope to read more of your writing.
eridani chapter 17 . 4/2/2005
Why am I reviewing at ch. 17? Because I've already reviewed ch 18 when I read this story ages and ages ago. I stumbled across it again, and appreciated it every bit as much this time as I did the first time. This one is worth reading twice.

Random thought: it didn't occur to me until after I had read it the second time, but this story feels like it's being told in shades of gray- which prefectly matches Mac's state of mind for the majority of the plot. I kept imagining this story in almost monochrome, which lends to your abilities to set the atmosphere of a story I guess. Great Work.
Alison chapter 18 . 8/15/2004
There are no words to describe how I feel about this story. It is an awesome story. Other fan fictions wouldn't be as deep or as realistic. Most fan fictions have their characters undergoing problems and trying to fix them by having one character save the other. This story has one character getting lost and the not-so-perfect-or-charming Prince Charming not so much saving her, but helping her save herself.

You're too awesome. Keep writing. I love all your stories and hope you never give up telling stories.
Leese Maree chapter 14 . 7/1/2004
"You need to stand on your own. I'll stand next to you." Aw, nearly made me cry! Fantastic. Honestly, I think this may be the best story you have ever written. You make the characters even more real than on the show. Soleil, you are my fave JAG author, hands down. Please write something new, I'm having withdrawal symptoms!
eridani chapter 18 . 4/7/2004
This has been a great read. You held true to your characters and kept rationalised their actions to the readers quite nicely. One thing I dont get (but then again maybe it's just the post modernist in me breaking out)- in both the introduction and conclusion you seemed to vehmently protest against fairytale endings, but simultaneously chased the grand narrative throughout your text...If I didn't know any better I'd say you didn't truly believe in your own anti-fairytale protestations... but then again maybe I'm just confused...
cbw chapter 18 . 1/28/2004
Thank you so much for such a powerful piece of writing. It's after 1:00 am and I wasn't able to stop until I had finished. You captured everything so dramatically and realistically! You are a very talented writer! Thanks for your work.
Jill chapter 18 . 1/23/2004
Suicide intervention is a topic I am passionate about. I appreciate the way you crafted your story, holding true to these characters, but also portraying an attempt at suicide and subsequent reactions in such a true light. I echo that the depth of your insight into such an attempt adds to the credibility of making this scenario plausible and heightens the emotional reaction that it evokes. Your writing is lovely. Thanks for sharing. Jill
LizD chapter 18 . 1/17/2004
"That night, after wishing and wishing, they would both go to bed, still hopeful that the stars had the power to bring them what they wanted. When they woke up the next morning and saw that everything was still the same, they would believe a little less, their hearts would be a little harder, and their dreams a little farther beyond their grasps." Again very profound. It actually brought tears to my eyes and if you knew me, you would know what a big deal that is.
Thank you for an excellent read. Very insightful and very fulfilling. Very well done.
LizD chapter 15 . 1/17/2004
Very nice ... and I miss Sedona too.
LizD chapter 11 . 1/17/2004
"She had to ask for things you should never have to ask for from people."
Again - simple and very very very profound.
LizD chapter 9 . 1/17/2004
I came to this story late, so my review is late. WHile I will echo the sentiments of other reviewers in that I really don't see suicide in Mac's character I still find myself drawn to the story. It is very well written and it shows an amazing amount of depth and knowledge on the subject matter and it is expressed perfectly. Mental Health is an incredible hard topic to master in writing (in real life I might add) and Hollywood usually goes for the quick fixes. You have not and I applaud you for that. Very well done.
I have stopped half way through this story because a line in this chapter struck me as so profound and it touched me. I needed to tell you that before I moved on to Chapters 10-18. What is the line?
", do you think it's possible for me to have forgiven Joe Mackenzie and not my father?"
Having had a similar experience in childhood as Mac had (I wish my mother had abandon me) this is so profound. It is easy to forgive the person but not the parent. Anyway it echoed in my head when I read it and I thought you should know. Thank you for this story.
lska chapter 18 . 11/26/2003
Really lovely! You have a great handle on the characters and a way with language, and this was a very engaging alternative to the current storylines.
Nikki chapter 1 . 11/26/2003
I loved your story. It was unique and well written. Although I always hate to see one of your stories end, I enjoyed the ending. Thanks for another great story.