Reviews for My Dear, Dear Friend
Sonnet Lacewing chapter 2 . 1/13/2006
Okay, so I know you had never intended this to be more than one chapter and gave in to a second due to wonderful feedback. But it would be awesome if there was more. It is delightful in it's artistry, making Lindhall a much fuller character. Consider continuing it, please?
shattered amethyst chapter 2 . 10/6/2004
You are so awesome. This just... wow. You got into Lindhall's head, and you gave Varice... something. That made her more real, less on-dimensional, as Candice put it. It's truly amazing.
Robinwyn chapter 2 . 11/25/2003
oh! More! Please?
Boosette chapter 2 . 10/5/2003
Darn you; I'm not supposed to feel any sympathy for Varice. Yet, here I am, sitting in my slightly delapidated chair, thinking "That poor woman." She's just so... so... so one-demensional and annoying in canon that it's nearly impossible to admit that she is capable of being a relatively decent human being, or that she's deserving of sympathy, and yet... It /is/ possibly to develop Varice, as you've done here. I think that it may even be possible that I might be beginning to like her, if only a little bit. *goes to reread EM, to do away with these notions of liking Varice*

And I feel my small (growing) obsession with Lindhall Reed getting too large for the file-cabinet in my brain that I've allotted to it. He's just so... so sweet, and better yet, so single... which, unfortunately, makes him convenient to slash *cry* Not nessacarily easy, since the inclination is to slash him with Numair, and everyone figures that Numair /can't/ be gay (because we love him ;D )

I dunno, I love this, and I love how you get inside of Lindhall's head, and I love Lindhall. *squishes and waits for more*

-_ Candice
Squirrel Maiden of Green chapter 2 . 10/3/2003
This is good! Please write another chapter. I'm quite interested.
thekeeperofwords chapter 2 . 10/2/2003
YAYAYAYAYAYAY! I think you should do a little more on the drama on Lindhall's part of having one of his best friends leave- under dangerous circumstances- forever. like...he should just sit talkin to himself...or... I dunno. Just like when he as talking to Varice, he could be like "He changed his feathers, but he's never coming back. Gods knows what happened to him" or something along those lines. And I think Varcie should think he is dead. I like that drama
Sabrina11 chapter 2 . 10/2/2003
this is good! you really do need to keep going! maybe after a couple more you could jump to em time, and his pov then...
Boosette chapter 1 . 10/1/2003
I haven't reviewed one of your fics in... er... quite some time. Though I assure you that I've read and loved every one of them. I suppose that I sound exceedingly redundant telling you what your school and your friends have been telling you for ages upon ages, but it bears repeating: you can write. Exceedingly, writing-this-well-ought-to-be-illegal-type-well.

But enough with the shameless flattery. This was what you were talking about in chat a few nights ago, right? About the Numair/Lindhall ship? Or am I dense and it's something entirely different. I've actually read this twice, and in the first reading, I could definitely see subtext, but on the second one, the only thing I could see was strong, /platonic/, friendship (per canon). And that makes me go "huh?" because things like that almost never happen. I particularly liked that you worked the mundane into this, here:

"They spoke for a long time, student and teacher. Arram fed the turtles. Lindhall tried to wade his way through paperwork. "

Since, in a lot of ways, my version of Arram Draper is quite mundane. Quite... normal, and not the sort of person you'd expect to find out on the street, juggling for his dinner. Somehow, it seems appropriate that his last moments as his old self should be as normal as possible- and quiet. Pleasant. Though it's far less dramatic than the mad dash through the palace and university, through Carthak City and down to Thak's Gate to a northbound ship that I /will/ eventually write myself, it's equally as good, and rather more creative, since this version of what might have happened is so rarely thought of. Almost (/almost/) anti-climactic, in a good way.

I've had to go through this bit:

"'You? Scared? Never thought I'd see the day. Are you sure I'm saying goodbye to the right Arram?' Lindhall walked over to the chair, face kind. 'Of course you are,' he whispered. "

several times before I caught the strained attempt at humor on Lindhall's part, as if he were trying to break some of the tension that must've been absolutely overwhelming him at that point. The second bit was where I caught one of the strongest points of slashy subtext on the first reading, but again, it doesn't seem slashy to me anymore. Just like you told us: Lindhall truly thinks that Arram is a beautiful person, and wants him to remain safe and alive.

It's overall a very nice effect, and I enjoyed it very much. *squish*
thekeeperofwords chapter 1 . 10/1/2003
I LOVE IT! ITS SO WELL-WRITTEN AND TOUCHING! you HAVE to do another one...maybe different characters, maybe the same ones...
eva maddison chapter 1 . 10/1/2003
Hey, it's a great beggining so far and i hope you update soon.

*Eva*
Robinwyn chapter 1 . 10/1/2003
Oh! Good story opener. I hope there will be more. Maybe you could take this to the point Numair gets trapped in hawk shape and Daine has to rescue him that first time without knowing who he is or what he is. (that is, if you're not already planning that). I wanted to write a story about Numair, but never knew how or where to start. This would be it. Maybe you could write the story I couldn't. I'd be very proud if it turned out as good as this first chapter thing. I'd love to read more. Keep up the good work, Kitty Ryan.