Reviews for Only a Shadow
Valiowk chapter 1 . 1/12/2006
That's a splendid poem! I liked your idea of a pond - an inanimate object - comforting Lu Xun; it's very different from the conventional concept of being comforted by a fellow human, and provides a refreshing twist.

Indeed, almost every great general of Wu was compared to Zhou Yu. While this is natural, as the Battle of Chibi was certainly Wu's most magnificent victory, you have brought up a wonderful point - that they should be remembered in their own light. I was extremely moved by the lines "And, not to be in anyone’s shadow,/I walked in the light."

There's a poem in "Romance of the Three Kingdoms", the last two lines of which go "For this divided Kingdom has had paragons enough,/And standing high above them all - Lu Xun of the South", which I feel is the best possible tribute to him.

Your lines "You will be known for more than this/Much more then a memory" really tugged at my heartstrings. Indeed, Lu Xun eventually rose to become the Prime Minister of Wu, yet the irony is that Zhou Yu's tale is immortal precisely because he died young and, unlike Lu Xun, never fell out with Sun Quan. Sometimes I wonder, if Lu Xun had died young, whether we would also sing the praises of another hero taken away in his youth.

Thanks for sharing this poem with us. Poetry can be as moving as (frequently even more than) FanFiction. I hope to see more of your poems in future!
Someone chapter 1 . 8/20/2005
Very impressive poem. I like the way you describe Lu Xun's thought. I hope that you will write more about Lu job.
Shimina-yeah-ha chapter 1 . 3/30/2004
BIG self-esteem boost. Thanx!
the mighty lu bu chapter 1 . 10/22/2003
great job
lacitar13 chapter 1 . 10/7/2003
I really liked this poem. It had a calming feel to it. Don't know hard to explain. You could feel poor Lu Xun's frstration and wanted to comfort him, but everything else did the work for you. _

Glad he realised at the end that he wasn't a poor imitation of Zhou Yu.

Good writer! Have a Lu Xun!

P.S. tell me i the link to the picture doesn't show up. Though you might already have the pictures.
Tha Kid chapter 1 . 10/1/2003
Boo-ya! Wicked poem! Boyan kicks Zhou Yu's ass! YAY!