Reviews for Pirates of the Caribbean: The African Star
Deritine chapter 2 . 6/7/2011
This story is... really good. I was despairing of finding anything but 11-year-olds writing Mary Sues and then found your story. I love how it is a realistic portrayal with the pirates actually robbing people and slavery- very well done on that by the way, it feels very researched. From what little I know about the trade, anyway. Looking forward to reading the rest!
Rensong chapter 32 . 10/24/2010
Lovely story! I've read it two or three times now, and I still thoroughly enjoy it!
pacificuser chapter 1 . 9/12/2008
Cool!
EccentrikPirate chapter 3 . 6/29/2008
Only on chapter three (and plan to keep reading) but I really like the story so far, and love you're writing style. Great job on this.
pirate king moose chapter 32 . 5/10/2008
i really loved it! thank you so much for writing! it was very fun to read!
Hiro-tyre chapter 1 . 10/11/2007
Wow. I remember reading your LOTR stuff way back in the day, and have just had this POTC fic rec'd to me-it's terribly nice to rediscover authors that one knows will deliver. Bookmarked.
BookRose chapter 32 . 10/5/2007
Do you think you might write something since the release of AWE? Honestly, it's not easy to come across a fic of this caliber.
Estrella85 chapter 32 . 9/25/2007
This was such a good story. I wanted to read in one go, but sleep and school spoiled that. You have a great talent for writing and I hope to see more of your stores later on. BTW, as I was reading the "credits" my media player started playing the PoTC soundtrack. _
JaxLass chapter 1 . 9/24/2007
What a true pleasure that was to read! You are a gem, Erin! The plot, the story, the characters – all fascinating and true to canon. Where does one start? The grudging friendship between Jack and Will was delightful and heart-warming while at the same time echoing some of the uncertainty of trust and reliance in each other from the first movie. Will and Lizzie not love-sick cardboard here. You gave them believable life, purpose and determination which is rarely seen in fanfic! And Jack. Oh, yes, the indomitable Jack. The pirate fairly leapt off the computer screen with his irascible antics! How refreshing to find him again as the wonderfully clever conniver with the cavalier grin! And without a single drop of rum! Well, not a whole bottle anyway. Although his mentor-like relationship with Will was vastly entertaining, Jack’s best moments, IMO, had to be intentionally making Norrington’s life miserable and quite complicated! I could certainly see Jack manipulating the poor commodore into doing his bidding while using his own dubious history with Will to his best advantage. The man has such amazing untapped depth that is easily overlooked by many writers in favor of his prominent boozing and pilfering nature. Reluctant Jack on the battlefield with the navy and marines was a riot! The scenes – especially the beach layover – were beautifully poignant and descriptive; Jack not turning Will into a pirate was a hoot and who didn’t feel the sorrowful demise of the Lady Elizabeth? Oh, and the suspense! What a great job! You have unquestionably mastered the almost-there-but-pulled-away-again technique that always makes triumph a sweeter reward! Elizabeth detonating the powder magazine was truly inspired as was Will leading a pirate hoard of reinforcements for the beleaguered Norrington! The diamond disintegration thing, tho, was iffy. In all likelihood, if the stone had shattered with the impact of a bullet, knife-like shards of it would have stabbed Jack! But then, in those days who’s to really say just how powerful a flintlock pistol impact was? It probably would have been enough to stun a man. And the ultimate moment of revenge: no fanfare, no flourish for Jack, just a few last words to bring the point undeniably home with his sword! Dear woman, you have proven that, every now and then, a quality PotC story does surface and leave it’s mark!
wickedsingularity chapter 1 . 7/29/2007
Wow, I really like the beginning of this story! I have been looking for some quality potc stories and thought I had to dig through half-good stories for a while, but then I found this story! You seem to keep things canon which is great, and I love all the details and work you seem to put in it! I haven't got the time to read more today, but I'll get right on it tomorrow. Added to favorites:)

-sinful
pearlseed chapter 32 . 7/17/2007
I'm in total awe of you, Miz Erin Rua, you are some kind of wonderful and ditto what you said-haven't had this much fun reading something since Indiana Jones. You have been told I'm sure what an excellent touch you have with my beloveds, Jack, Will, and Elisabeth. I saw them-SAW them-from your very words, I Heard them! I was blessed to be in the presence of my Gibbs, even Norrington. I got to be transported, I could feel the Pearl as she moved through the water, smell the sea, oh yes, smell the sea-what a delightful wealth of temporal pleasures. Oh, my! Thanks for taxing your brain, enduring the strain, and singing the refrain-please accept my deepest curtesy of joy and gratitude, and yes, fair winds with a following sea, peace be.
Sunrise Sets chapter 32 . 6/24/2007
Bloody brilliant, that was. You are definitely a natural. I usually like to review throughout the story but I copied and pasted it into Word so I wouldn't have to be tied down to the modem. I absolutely loved it. Based on the number of reviews, I can see that others did, too. I think it says a lot about you that you got so many reviews without begging for them in every chapter. I'm going to go and see what else you've written.
Sache8 chapter 32 . 6/5/2007
This fic was rec'd by a friend, and I jumped right on it (given the Pirates high I'm on right now). I tip my tricorn hat to you, my friend. I don't think I'll ever try writing Cap'n Jack in a million, bajillion years. LOL You've written him quite exceptionally, possibly the best I've ever seen a fanfic writer do. More than that, though, I'm astonished and gratified by the amount of seafaring research you put into this. My limited knowledge of 'nautical terms' is limited to what little I gleaned from reading The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, so... thanks for all that hard work to make a fic that is truly worthy of reading. And Norrington! *le happy sigh*

I like your list of inspiring CDs too, btw. I have all four of them, and quite a few others too (including the two new Pirates scores - I am *such* a movie music geek).

Anyway, brilliant work and thanks so much for sharing!
TooOldForThis1993 chapter 32 . 5/31/2007
:) :) :)x10 YOUR STORY IS AWESOME! A WORK OF ART! My face now hurts from all the smiling and laughing I was doing during those last few chapters :) You had Jack nailed down so perfectly I swear I could just see him...:) And you had a brilliant story, wonderfully evil villains, and absolutely STUNNING action! I was on the edge of my seat for the entire story, and I loved every word! Except when you killed Matty *sobs* he was going to buy a fiddle...*sob* I loved Will's transformation over the course of the fic :) He's so piraty! :) Some of the things Jack said had me bursting out in laughter, especially about the diamond :) And I loved how the crew of the Royal Venture got what was coming to them! You've got to write a sequel! :) :)
mypiratecat1 chapter 32 . 3/3/2007
Jack and Will are wonderfully "in character" in this fic... I also enjoy their "brotherly" relationship in stories such as this. Great descriptive writing - as Will, Jack, Elizabeth and AnaMaria sat together after narrowly escaping with their lives, "...perhaps his continued grip on Jack's shirt was an embrace as well". Great sentiment...
463 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 .. Last Next »