Reviews for The Learning Curve
FriendLey chapter 20 . 2/3
Pls pls update! I just found this story and I love it!
Emilie Bay chapter 20 . 3/22/2012
Hi! It breaks my heart to see you never got to finish this piece, it is BY FAR the BEST AU storyline in any fandom I've ever read.

You have the characters' personalities nailed to the last letter, and not even the extensive changes (time/place/background) from the original storyline get in the way for you to make this an extremely impressive piece of work.

I wish I could read the rest... Of course, there IS no rest, is there? :'(

I also particularly enjoyed "the forever friends", I always thought that there HAD to be something more to Anck than just the regular trollop they make her to be in the movies.

Cecelia is very interesting, I have a temper much like hers, I must admit. It's like listening to you describe some situations in my own life, and find out she does what I did. Like the Neal Grady thing. I also quit a job for smth like that. And the Beni-O'Connell thing too. Been there, done that.

Btw, congrats on your spanish! Where are you from? I'm from Argentina.

Oh, well... Do you at least keep the storyline you mentioned you had? Please? Pretty please, with a cherry on top?

Only one observation on you writing: the word "whom" is an interrogative or relative pronoun... It doesn't always replace "who". It's ok when you say smth like "my friends, in whom I confide..." or "whom did she meet at the supermarket?", but not "I am WHOM I have always been". For example.

Looking forward to hearing from you!
White Rabbit Stalker chapter 1 . 8/20/2009
Even as unfinished, this story is better than %95 of the stories in this fandom.

Hopefully one day, you get your Mummy mojo back and finish it. :D
Fey chapter 20 . 2/1/2008
Why is it that this story hasn't been updated in years? It's wonderful! Characterization is true to cannon for the most part, you put in quotes and situations from the movies, and still maintain a realistic modern plot. I love it... I really wish your muse for this story will make you type up some chapters.. Heh, but considering that the last time this was updated was in '04, I'm guessing that's highly unlikely? Hmm, well, maybe the third movie in the Mummy trilogy will inspire you to write some more (though from what I hear of the movie, that's highly unlikely).

- Fey
Rodidor chapter 20 . 12/22/2007
this is one of thee best fics i have ever read ever
IslandElf chapter 20 . 8/24/2006
*bursts into tiers* Why has it stoped? IT'S TOO GOOD TO STOP! it took me 17 hours to catch up with the story and then it STOPED! This is one of the best fan fics i've come across *falls on knees and begs* Please, please, please update soon!
animefreak2015 chapter 20 . 6/20/2005
*dropped jaw* you left it here ... ok, i know, you're multitalented and multiuniversed ... and probably so busy you're meeting yourself coming and going, but ... i feel abandoned. *chuckle*

off to find a medjai in middle earth ... maybe when he comes back this will get finished? *snfl*

writing is, as ususal, excellent as are the characters.

dragon
dragon chapter 15 . 6/15/2005
I'm printing this out in five chapter chunks ... reading, reading, reading ... wait, wasn't i supposed to be writing? sigh. hiding from a grant proposal due the 30th. also hiding from the rewrite of something original. as always, enjoying the ride. ciao.

dragon the usually strange
Stardust Angel2 chapter 20 . 4/28/2005
How could you just stop? This story is wonderful. I have read all your other Mummy fictions and I love them all but this one I think is my favorite. You can not just leave me hanging, wondering what was supposed to happen after chapter 19. That would be mean and the wondering will drive me crazy. Would you please consider continuing this story and taking me out of my misery?
SilkRoses chapter 20 . 10/8/2004
I love this story so much! I hate to bother you about it, but would you please continue? And while I'm here, I'd like to take the opportunity to say: Stepford Medjai? In...Connecticut? Please continue when you can?
Brunette chapter 20 . 8/4/2004
Ha-ha! Chapters 18, 19, and 20 finished! Now I only wish you had about 20 more so that I could keep going! You really are a terrific author-you pay a lot of attention to character developements and intricate backgrounds. It's hard to remember that THE MUMMY is an action movie, with characters that don't necessarily need more than one side (I love the movie, but they admittedly don't), anyway, it's hard to remember that when you portray them as if they were real people. They have real feelings, and real reactions. There's been about a dozen times I've found myself nodding, or mumbling "Good point," only to realize I'm reading a story, and not actually listening to these people talking! You really should pursue writing as a career. This story alone demonstrates amazing talent.
Brunette chapter 17 . 8/2/2004
Jeeze, it's been a while! It really is a great story; I'm only sorry that I have to stop at this chapter instead of finish catching up! Please continue!
Belphegor chapter 20 . 8/1/2004
Right, I've got time before me, so I'll use it for a "lengthy essay", or so I hope :o)

Lovely little three-part "the morning after" scene :D That was a nice little prank of Celia's - we've all experienced at least once the evil, *way* too loud shrieck of the alarm clock interrupting a sleep we wanted to be long and deep :o) I also like how each girl's private concerns/thoughts come back to her, and refresh our memories about them. Also the voice that you give every narrator - Celia's, Anck's, Evy's, and everyone of them. My favourite, I think, is Rick - the voice you give him is so true to character, there are many phrases and sentences I can actually hear in my head with Fraser's voice saying them. Don't call the men in white, please.

:P Anyway, seeing Celia evolving like this is very nice :o) I particularly love Evy's "the proud little Yank did something... threw a curve ball of some kind". Now, I have no idea what a 'curve ball' means, but I can have a wild guess and say that the sentence echoes the title in some way. And that it shows how you can live with someone day and night, but never fully know every layer of him/her, as Evy's just realised :o)

The bit of story about Professor Garrity puzzled me a little bit, because it seemed to come a bit out of the blue - I did understand that it was a warning for Anck, but as we've never heard of him before, it kept me wondering slightly. Anyway, would I be very wrong if I ventured this is a real-life inclusion? Gossip can hurt so much... I was a little surprised when I learned that one of my teachers' (at university) girlfriend used to be a student of his; apparently they've been together for years, and she was of age when it began, but although I can understand people being shocked, I also absolutely despise the kind of gossip that can go with something like that. Guess it depends very much on one's general take on things.

Well, it doesn't bode quite well for Anck, does it? Maybe we'll find the whole "cursed love" affair again, but I've grown so fond of Anck I wouldn't wish of something that cruel for her - and Pr. Tepper, who seems quite the gentleman thief and loveable as well.

Well, maybe the fondness I have for the way you write him has something to do with my own fondness for one of my literature heroes since my early childhood, "gentleman thief" Arsène Lupin. Have you ever heard of these books written by Maurice Leblanc? He was this mysterious, gentlemanly, ironic, Robin-Hood style thief in the French Belle Epoque (the 1900s), who kept changing personas and stole only from riches and sent flowers to women he robbed. Also, despite his amoral sense of property, he had principles and a good heart underneath the quipping, flippant façade. Anyway, in a nutshell, I was in love with him all through my childhood :o)

And that's why your Imhotep struck a c(h?)ord in me - he's exactly this kind of honourable not-quite villain I adore. Honourable, and honest in a very particular way, but without scrupules. As much honest to his own amoral principles as to the job he's appointed himself.

And it's great to read about such an impressive figure getting butterflies in the stomach like any student he teachers :o) I particularly like the care he puts in chosing his clothes, because he knows that Anck will be there. Although... turtleneck is not *that* out. I mean, yes, it's very much 70s style, but... Who doesn't light up at the thoughts of Imhotep in a black (or dark blue) turtleneck? :D

Also nice to hear about Jonathan giving some advice to Evy as far as Rick is concerned :o) Not only do I completely agree with him (the word of advice is quite sound!), but it's nice to see *him* giving advice to his baby sister, for a change. Evy might've had some trouble accepting it, pig-headed, practical girl she is :o)

Speaking (writing!) about Evy, it's nice to see her so true to form, so logic and rational, in small details such as shaking her head at Celia's wearing socks instead of slippers and not believing in "fairy tales and hokum" :o) I wonder, is that actually an American expression that is in use now?

I'd also like to know why exactly Mr Hafez dislikes Evy so. Or was it mentioned in an earlier chapter and I just forgot it? Oh dear, I really need to re-read the previous chapters...

Jonathan flipping for Piper... Mmh, nice question. You actually made me think on that, and I came to the very personal conclusion that he would've like Phoebe in the first season, when she was this rebellious, sexy, mysterious girl, the wild card - we didn't quite know what to make of her at the time: Prue was the oldest, the authority figure, and Piper was the quieter, sweet girl who didn't have enough self-confidence. Or maybe my memories of the show are a little too foggy. I don't remember Cole dying, the hours kept changing and I couldn't keep track. But you gotta say that those gals run on rotten luck... Isn't that the core of a great series? :D

Balthazar, incidently, was also the name of Cole's demon half in France. Maybe the translation guys thought that Belthazor was just a little too weird for the French audience :o) Seriously, I think Balthazar/Belthazor and Belphegor might have the same ethymology - the god of chaos Baal, if my memory serves me right.

Good show from Jonathan, being up at such an ungodly hour and braving his apprehension of Dr Bey :o) I especially liked him standing for his "baby sisters", it's actually in character, something some Mummy fiction writers tend to forget (Terreis very justly pointed it out) - for all his faults, he's here when his sister needs him.

I'd like to continue much longer... but it's almost midnight and my mum's calling for me to switch the computer off. So I'll briefly say that the transition (what *is* a Medjai :o) made me laugh my head off - and how Rick's protectiveness of his brother is sweet. It's nice to see this sweet side to him, even if he displays it the Rick O'Connell style - by being... well, not too subtle. Once Evy's really registered (and accepted) that, they might get along just famously.

Just kidding, of course :P

I wish I could say more, but I've got no time... Can ever you forgive me? :o)

Much of love,

Bel :o]
Terreis chapter 20 . 7/30/2004
What a great thing to do to Anck! I love it. I guess love is widening her mischievous streak, like Anck said.

I think my favorite section of this came from Jonathan's point of view. I love Jonathan and I think he gets far too little credit sometimes. And the way you ended that section, then slipped into the next one with Ardeth and Rick was just wonderful. 'Right now, what a Medjai was, was asleep.' LOL That made me crack up.

Another great chapter, my friend. But I'm growing anxious about homecoming. Want to see what will happen. Hurry, hurry! (Says the girl who hasn't updated her story in nearly four days) Pot calling the kettle black, huh?
lilylynn chapter 20 . 7/30/2004
Aw...I think that is sweet that Rick is so protective, and is watchin out for his brother!

Sumtimes that can get annoying though! I guess! hehe

Hey, I sleep with a teddy bear, well, I used to, now it just sits at the edge of my bed, so when I get angry, i can just kick it off! lol

Well, back to school, oh boy! Great chappie!

Update soon!