Reviews for Darkness & Light 1: The Potions Master's Apprentice
riverrat chapter 3 . 5/20
Wonderful story. Can't wait to read the sequel.
Fictienthrall chapter 3 . 5/11
Yes, I'm remembering shreds of missing material. But I find delight in your story telling and rather than have a preference as in music for the interpretation of the musician, I prefer your author's eye. Looking forward to the rest;-)
fictienthrall chapter 1 . 5/9
I am familiar with this story and came looking for it after several years. It has been my favorite among fan fiction. Thank you for your time, inspiration, perseverance and good use of your considerable talent. I look forward to the rest;-)
The idea of them both living double lives and supporting each other's through it is so cool! Your characterizations of th canon characters are spot-on (perhaps with a slight adjustment to Snape) and your OC is immediately engaging. Fantastic job! I'm so impressed. Maud is in a really tricky spot but you've shown she can handle it. I'm in love with Maud and I so want to see her succeed. I hope she'll be able to do that even if she never sees on her own again.
Holy cow this story is amazing! OCs are tricky to get right but you've done a fantastic job of introducing your character and subtly showing her characteristics. I love that she's intelligent but not a loudmouth and that her sassiness isn't overt. It just makes her appear that much smarter. Her background is fascinating and her future ambitions are so cool. I can't wait to see what you have planned for this character! I'm already 100% invested in her future.
NAAC29 chapter 3 . 8/14/2016

I like how you made the Maud blind, and how you thought aout how it might be handled in a wizarding community (Not a seeing eye-dog, but a seeing eye-owl).

And I think you Snape character was remarkebly in character for a fanfiction written before book seven.
NightMustFall chapter 1 . 3/1/2016
Dear Synaesthete,
I have read your "Potion Master's Apprentice" and I find it wholly bewitching.

Thank you very much for giving us a happier yet dark story with a believable Severus Snape.

P.S.: Maud is lovely. She is so fragile but strong and so far she is the only one I can accept as an equal partner for Severus.
Zyra the Time Lady chapter 1 . 8/18/2015
I would like this to be a movie and/or comic; this story is so beautiful! I am reading the story again after 10 years and it's better the second or maybe third time around. I have lost count. I was 19 when I first read it...and now I'm ending my 20's soon. I think I'll continue the tradition and read again when I'm 39. You write so imaginatively and unique while staying true to most of the events in the Harry Potter story. Ah, more on Severus Snape, he's been my story/movie crush since then.
emma chapter 3 . 1/24/2014
over?
Sam68 chapter 3 . 1/16/2014
Woah! This has to be my favorite story out of all the other stories on the web! Awesome. I like stories in which one character has an individual super power!
C.K. Hawke chapter 3 . 7/4/2012
Simply amazing. I loved it. :)
C.K. Hawke chapter 2 . 7/4/2012
The one thing I really love about this chapter is Alastor's little speech at the end. It's just so real and true to everything, even in the real world. You have everyone's characterization in perfect order, from the Weasley twins to Draco to Snape himself. I can only imagine that he's probably hurt by what he heard, and thus, cruel when the situation presented itself. Bravo. :)
C.K. Hawke chapter 1 . 7/4/2012
This is really, really good. Why the bloody hell do you not have more reviews for this? I love how you go back and forth, between the past and the present with it all spaced out at the perfect pace. It's riveting, and I am definitely hooked.
Nyah chapter 3 . 7/21/2011
There are so many things striking me on my read-through. I love the flashes of a younger Snape who seems a hair more innocent and yet still completely ignorant of the way most adults speak to young children. He meets the young Maud and talks to her just like a rational adult.

I'd forgotten how incredibly embarrassed I was for Maud in the library scene and how angry about her being left to wander the school in the dark. You've let your characters remain just flawed in the easy, typical sense but also you've let them be occasionally horrible and petty. Which is a brave move.

In this last part I was struck by the chess metaphor Maud accidentally botches. I have to say I find chess and storm metaphors completely tiresome but you managed to make this one self-aware and rather excellent.
Nyah chapter 1 . 7/21/2011
Like many people, I read this years ago. I grew up with Maud Moody as much as I grew up with Harry Potter. Currently it's serving as a nice, nostalgic break from grad school studies and is still the only Harry Potter fan fiction I've found not just tolerable but absorbing and refreshing.

You've written one of the many remarkable stories that must be occurring just off center stage to Harry Potter's own drama. You've created Maud, a young woman not easily fooled, persuaded, or frightened from her own convictions. Her story brings brilliant insight to the myriad hopes and betrayals amongst the adult's in Harry's world. Despite Maud's disability, we don't her as "blind" first and a young woman second. She's smart, she adapts, and she's quite capable of working within and around her limitations. I was ultimately very impressed with your handling of Maud's blindness. This is not a story about some fictional, narrow blind girl. This is a story about a girl who is a lot of things, one of those is blind. While "healing" a disabled character is tricky business, I appreciated that healing came to Maud through her own effort and dedication and was not conferred upon her as a reward.

I'll no doubt pop back in as I reread to pelt you with more of my opinions. But, at the outset, I wanted to say thanks.