Reviews for A Casual Encounter
Netchka3 chapter 2 . 7/27/2013
She's like her sister, likes her men older. :-) ;-)
wmwhitewolf chapter 2 . 2/20/2012
nice would be nice to see if dawn joins the team that would be a nice change
purrfus chapter 1 . 1/17/2012
Sharp. Carries through and stops in a right place.
purrfus chapter 2 . 1/17/2012
Interesting ideas.
Black Opal1 chapter 2 . 1/29/2010
I loved this short one...lol...wouldn't mind reading mroe of this. For some reason I do like the match of Dawn and O'Neill. Good writing.
A. Jury chapter 2 . 7/6/2004
Okay that was really cute. I like the "take care of herself" version of Dawn.
M.E chapter 2 . 7/4/2004
THATS IT!YOU CANT END IT THERE. THERE THER HAS TO BE MORE! THIS STORY ROCKS
Mandolin chapter 2 . 10/9/2003
First off, this review is intended to be constructive, and is part of an effort I've been making to give honest but snark-free reviews. So if you read any of this as insulting, keep in mind I'm trying actively NOT to come off that way.

Hammond's briefing was way too quick and pat if you ask me - even with the Initiative's files, I don't think he'd be talking about vampires, demons and witches so cavalierly. The Initiative referred to demons as "subterrestrials" and seemed to take the stance that humans were "infected" by vampires (if you remember, at the end of "The Initiative," they considered "quarantining" Willow). They seriously refused to consider the supernatural aspects of what they were dealing with. So the only other source Hammond could have gotten convincing information from was Giles - and I doubt Giles would have been very forthcoming. Sure, he'd probably be forced to admit to the information the Initiative had on him, but I don't think he would have shared any further details - Buffy firing the Watcher's Council, exactly what happened to Sunnydale, et cetera, et cetera. And Hammond seemed to accept this whole thing way too well. Not to mention Carter.

And for that matter, where's Teal'c? His reactions could have been interesting.

(("I mean Buffy Summers was extraordinary. She kicked ass!"))

Would Jack decide that simply from watching a video of her and have Hammond sum up her exploits in two paragraphs? I'd understand if he'd actually seen Buffy in action, but not from a video and hearing about her.

((Long shapely legs outlined in worn, reinforced jeans disappearing into steel-toed combat boots bulky enough to indicate steel shin guards. A metallic knife hilt stuck out of one boot cuff, a wooden stake out of the other. A dark emerald green leotard clinging to every outline of her slight but curved form scooped low to expose her bare skin. There was an old ragged wound on one side of her neck as though a vicious animal had tried to take a bite out of her.

A carpenter’s belt slanted low across her hips holding a variety of small items in the loops and pockets. She wore a chocolate leather hip length jacket that swung freely indicating deep cut flared panels. Her sun streaked brown hair was twisted into a casual top knot secured by two carved wood skewers in the style of a Japanese geisha. She carried a leather knapsack slung over one shoulder.))

As for Dawn... I can't believe this is Dawn in just six years. Don't get me wrong, I love Dawn, but the skewer-throwing, husky-voiced woman who came into the briefing room reminds me more of Faith than Dawn. I don't see any trace of the character in her aside from her looks. I'm also surprised that she would be allowed to just walk into the briefing room with all of her "good-luck charms," special status or no special status. Not to mention that the added weight of the leather jacket, the carpenter's belt and the combat boots with steel shin guards would be a bit much for anyone who's not a Slayer - and she certainly wouldn't be that overloaded for a simple briefing.

((She pulled the skewers out of her hair and flung them. They thudded with expert precision on America and Britain on a world map displayed on a cork board.))

I'd think Hammond would take issue to that - even though he's given SG-1 a great deal of slack, I think he'd be annoyed if any of them decided to use one of the maps in the briefing room as target practice. Even if it was intended to make a point.

As for the kiss at the end... I can't see Jack doing that in front of the General and the rest of SG-1, especially since they're going to both be working at the SGC. If he was going to do that, he'd do it if they were alone (or if he was at the end of a day that was about to repeat itself anyway and there were no repercussions - yes, I'm thinking of "Window of Opportunity"). Hammond's reaction was definitely in-character for him, and Jack should have seen that coming.

((“No conflicts, no hiding, no lies, no fears.”))

Why not? There's a lot of opportunities for conflict in the pairing and initial setup, even when setting aside the age difference. (Even with the six-year jump in the BtVS timeline, I still couldn't buy the pairing because of that. But that's a personal preference.) I almost wish you'd decided to explore the conflict instead of wrapping it up like that - there's lots of issues that could have been delved into. The idea of the supernatural being introduced to SG-1, who spends a great deal of their time debunking myths - proving the Goa'uld to be "false gods," for one thing. Jack having a prior relationship with someone who's just now coming in as a consultant to the SGC. Or you could have it going on for a while and not have her suddenly become a consultant.

I know, I know, it's just a short challenge response, but still... it seems like you could have taken this in some really interesting directions. That's all.
griffindor lady chapter 2 . 10/8/2003
Great Story! Love It! Just one comment. Jack O'Neill is a Colonel.
Majin Gojira chapter 2 . 10/7/2003
So what do we have in this story: vauge sex references in the first part of it with mysterious allusions to who the second party is.

The Fanon Bunny known as Elizabeth Summers. It's Buffy on her Records. Buffy on her Tombstone. Buffy on her proposed wedding invitations with Spike. Not Elizabeth. No buts. Not canon. Move along.

A Video we don't get to see discribed, very nice of you to just have the reactions of the SGC rather than go through the effort of even attempting to write up a description of what they are seeing.

We aslo have Timeline contradictions between the two melded shows (Buffy is somewhere inthe future and the author has apparently killed off (and re-killed-off) some of the scoobies she didn't feel fit the plot for no real reason. SG-1 appears to be concurrent, or maybe even the early seasons, we don't really know as there are no time-frame references for Stargate, at least I hope it's current for Stargate...if the age gap between the shipped couple is any greater I'd call it pedophelia).

Carter needed more of a reaction to the Magic Revelation (tm) than what is given her. She's the scientist, after all. Among other OOC moments in the story, this was probably the most grating. Aside from the story idea itself which requires OOCness from the charactes.

When Dawn appears in chapter 2 before the SGC, I don't know why you have her dressed that way, but it scares me a LOT. I'm thinking it's the "Green Leotard"...I was hoping they went away with the 80's...

On the plus side, grammer and spelling are above average. And the author tries to do detailed descriptions of some things, but ends up being redundant. 'Metalic' hardly helps us picture knife any more special than not doing so.

Grade: D

(Sorry if this doesn't polish your ego like most "reviews" do, but this is an actual critical review of the story at hand. That's what reviews should be.)
captuniv chapter 2 . 10/7/2003
Nice, although Jack is a Colonel, not a Captain. I really thought that it would be Daniel and not Jack. Nice surprise. Are you going to continue this?