Reviews for The Sorcerer's Apprentice
SSH chapter 2 . 4/17/2018
Silver Shadow Huntress

Love, love, LOVE this. 3
ShadowofSquirldor chapter 2 . 1/4/2014
Type your review for this chapter here...
ShadowofSquirldor chapter 3 . 1/4/2014
This was brilliant and I love your notes in the third chapter. This has proven most helpful with a fanfic of my own. I'm so glad I read this.

I lover your interpretation of his early years. Great job! Great job!
kingmaker chapter 2 . 8/16/2005
Very impressive. I stand in awe of your level of research. The recipe you've created for the Witch-King certainly makes sense, combining childhood ostracism, a reclusive personality with a cruel streak, and a well-endowed bloodline. Good story.
RavenLady chapter 3 . 6/3/2005
Equally horrifying and fascinating. This ostracized child that falls so far - it's more frightening somehow, seeing it from the beginning. The last scene was marvellous. *shivers* Very interesting.
Lasse-Lanta chapter 3 . 7/18/2004
Congratulations on your Mithril win, you certainly deserve it for this story.
LasseLanta01 chapter 3 . 4/4/2004
I love these appendix you give, it's like reading the master himself, especially since I know you put such research and thought into the finished writing.
LasseLanta01 chapter 2 . 10/17/2003
Oh I just could not wait and much to my surprise I find a wealth of information on language. How very interesting to find the meanings, sometimes in translation the true emphisis (spl?) of the meaning of a phrase may be lost. You are a true scholar I see.

Concerning the first chapter, did I miss the meaning or did I detect the forshadowing of Eowyn's heritage in the rape of Azruth? If so what a nice cyclic quality the story has. All actions have results, some unintended, that work out eventually.

Again, all I can say is I really enjoyed this. *g*
LasseLanta01 chapter 1 . 10/17/2003
This is such a full, rich story, I throughly enjoyed chapter one and only RL prevents me from moving on to chapter two eagerly. How utterly believable that a decendant of Elros, having a touch of the fey powers of the Maiar should become the Witch-King. Interesting take on how the bullying of a 'different' child should sew the seeds of destruction, but isn't that the way most of history follows. There is so much here that I may only touch on a small part of how wonderfully this is researched and thought through. I liked very much the reference to the spirits of Orcs being elven in nature, but fearing Mandos judgement choose to remain in Arda and thus become evil to be manipulated by those with the talent.

I was able to loose myself in this reading, not something accomplished often. My hats off to you, and I can hardly wait to continue.
Jenn Calaelen chapter 1 . 10/14/2003
Very interesting. I like the form of the story with Olorin telling it to Glorfindel. It is very sad that bullying could have caused a child to turn to evil, but you made this story seem very believable.

(I must admit I did not read all the notes about grammer as it seemed too confusing to me)
vorondis chapter 1 . 10/14/2003
A fascinating tale, and the main character's development - or maybe I should say descent into darkness _ and the reasons behind it are described very convincingly. Impecably researched, too, as your stories alway's are.

The only thing I do not quite get is the 'powers of Melian' thing (yes, I did read the notes). Most descendants of Melian would have had them, yet they're mentioned only once by Tolkien, and only by implication. A little more build-up here would have solved my problem, I think. (But maybe I'm the only one?)
Soledad chapter 1 . 10/13/2003
An absolutely chilling story! The idea that the Witch King had special powers due to his descend from Melian makes great sense, and the small steps he does unerringly toward complete darkness are almost unseeming - and yet they seal his fate forever. I particularly liked the vision of Éowyn and the mentioning of the Avari and the Silvan Elves.

Your knowledge of Tolkien lore and especially Elven and Mannish languages is, as always, impressive, the research that went into this story amazing.
daw the minstrel chapter 1 . 10/13/2003
This broke my heart. I keep seeing this trusting child who was corrupted by cruelty. And I'm afraid that happens outside the pages of fiction too.

This was a gripping and well-researched tale.
Wild Iris chapter 1 . 10/13/2003
Great stuff - absorbing, fascinatingly detailed, spine-tingling in places (the final description of Sauron hidden in Dol Guldur was marvellously done). I like how the story of Angore's unique powers is interwoven with a universally recognizable troubled youth (perhaps not surprising from a Buffy fan!), and in particular, how much attention the story pays to political and economic realities - something Tolkien himself often glided over :) It felt as though every people involved in the story got a voice, even if only briefly.

Richly textured writing, strong characterizations and just thought, thought, thought everywhere. Thank you for a most interesting couple of hours.