Reviews for Of Soul and Being
Eneicia Took chapter 1 . 4/9/2012
I have tears in my eyes, that was so lovely, but so sad. I am glad that in both the books and the movie he redeemed himself, but why did he have to die :(
WandaXmaximoff chapter 1 . 8/19/2007
Hey Gin,

I find it a very cool coincidence that you sent me this, because I just got through reading 'Fellowship of the Ring' last night, and re-watched the movie the night before.

I just had to leave you a proper review on here, because the story was so good.

Before I leave an actual review, I have to make a few comments on Boromir himself and the difference between the book and movie. I don't really like Boromir in the movie, but I think that's because I already know what he does to Frodo. However, I really liked book Boromir, he seemed more noble and worthy of the title of 'Steward of Gondor'

I also prefer the movie adaptation of the battle at Amon Hen - it was more action packed and made the story flow better.

With this one-shot, you've seemed to capture elements of both the book and the movie perfectly.

You described the action, as seen in film. But, I think your characterization of Boromir is closer to how he is in the books, which I liked a lot.

You created a perfect balance and managed to stay true to both adaptations.

I also love how your writing style has changed from how you write wrestling fics to fit in with the the style of Tolkien's work!

The piece was very emotionally charged, and I though the various thoughts of Boromir has he battled and then died were wondefully in character. He kept his arrogance and self-assuredness, but also showed signs of his noble and caring side (which comes through in the books).

I really liked this part:

"However, what Boromir had learned from them had broken the barrier for him with the Elves and Dwarves. He had had plans when he returned to begin to erase the false images that Man had placed on the other races of Middle Earth. They were his friends…and he believed that they counted him as friend when he was not being a self-righteous fool possessed by the Ring."

And Boromir's hopes that he could erase the false images that Man had placed on the other races of Middle Earth. I also liked his thoughts about Gandalf, and how despite their differences he'd hoped the wizard could have stopped him

I love how you wrote the final exchange between Boromir and Aragorn - it was a beautifully insigtful take on the exchange.

Boromir's final thoughts of his family were so fitting, as it was them he was fighting for in a way, and I liked how his thoughts never finished before he died.

Over all, excellent one-shot and I'm so glad you sent it to me. I'm gonna go read the new chapter you sent me.

I'll reply to your various messages tonight.

Hope all is well with you.

Talk to you soon,

Clare x
Sicily Bean chapter 1 . 10/1/2004
*sits with tears going down her face* What a beautiful, beautiful piece of work! Rarely have I read something so believeable and heart-breaking and so full of emotion. You put even my best scenes to shame with this show of pure, raw feeling. I bow to your superior writing skills... *bows low* Boromir was and still is my favorite character, and to finally read something that went into his mind in this battle really made me think about what he went through throughout the movie (and book!). Keep writing! You are wonderful!
Galatyn Renner chapter 1 . 9/25/2004
Thank you for your reviews. I will try to answer the questions in an e-mail soon.

I very much liked this piece. Good atmospheric details, and a good view of the inside of Boromir's head. I love him, too, and I had to kill him off. *sob*

I am a little puzzled as to how Boromir would know Aragorn had been called Estel, though.

G. R.
Tari Ciryatan chapter 1 . 2/13/2004
Oh, wow.
I cried. I loved it! It was so bittersweet.
Poor Boromir.
I must say, your story wrentched my heartstrings. It was amazing and I can't wait to read more of you LOTR stories.
Tari Ciryatan
pmochizuki chapter 1 . 10/23/2003
Wow, that was such a touching story! Very emotional, the words flow so well that you can't help but start tearing up at the end. *sniff sniff*! I'm a big Boromir fan so I love to read most any fics with him. I'm even in the process of writing my own Boromir fic, where he lives! Yay! Anyway, you're story was fantastic, write more!
Larnia chapter 1 . 10/17/2003
Nice story. :)
Almasy11 chapter 1 . 10/16/2003
Wow, this is really a great story, I like that last sentence, to show Boromirs passing, I am a personal fan of Boromir, he was also amazingly in character, and that is the hardest thing to do, is keep the people in character. Good job!
Lilya chapter 1 . 10/16/2003
Breath-takingly beautiful!

I loved the part where Boromir thinks about his family and the tale of his first battle.

Absolutely fantastic!
Ivy chapter 1 . 10/16/2003
I liked it.

An interesting insight into Boromir's last thoughts, sad but brave and totally in character. The ending was a bit cheap- to finish in the middle of a sentence to show his passing away, but it served the story well.
nazgul chapter 1 . 10/16/2003
this is so heartbreaking and beautiful!

so full of emotion.