Reviews for The Barricade
anonymous chapter 8 . 3/31/2009
Absolutely amazing. You've a great gift.
anonymous chapter 8 . 4/18/2008
This was lovely.

It takes talent to approach a story from a outsider's perspective and still show clarity and characterization so well within the Canon characters. Few authors can manage to do it and even fewer with the grace and style you showed. Jules, Passapartout and Phileas were wonderful, faithful to their personality down to the last word. Jules' difficulty reconciling the safety of friend and foe alike in relation to himself...it was strikingly and heart-breakingly rendered, highlighted especially because of Polly's lack of understanding. You gave the characters such depth.

Wonderful story, totally awesome. Thank you.
lauren hedgehog chapter 8 . 9/27/2006
aw... This is such a sweet story. Normally I can't stand reading OC's but you made Polly so real and drew me in right from the first chapter. Lovely work :-)
Lady Philyra chapter 8 . 2/10/2006
Susan,

This story is, as are all the stories of yours I have read, masterfully written. So much of fan fiction is a plot and dialogue, nothing more - sort of a talking plot synopsis. To me, a story is in the details, and you do that so well. I was particularly struck by the moment when Polly walks through the morning dew and her wet dress slaps and sticks to her legs. That's the kind of detail that makes a story come to life.

Silly me, I suspected in the middle of the story that the mysterious tiff between Jules and the Foggs was a clever plot device to get Jules out of the manor house and among the children. And then at the end of the story, as the argument is resolved, I realized it was the whole point of the story. You were telling us something about Jules and Jules something about himself at the same time - that Jules inspires people to care about him and defend him and he cannot escape that.

I enjoyed the device of telling the story from the point of view of the children, well, Polly to be exact. You do children well. They never seemed like small adults. And you made a clear picture of the kind of life tenant's children would have lead, which fits with the research that I have done.

Creating a protagonist who was being denied a chance to learn was a choice bound to connect with your audience. If we weren't readers, we wouldn't be reading it, would we? So we inevitably sympathise with a character who wasn't allowed to learn to read.

The entire story was a delight and even a little frightening on the bridge. The last paragraphs, beginning with "I began to read," were lyrically beautiful. I nearly cried.

You also wrote Charity In The Age Of Marvels, which I read on the Aurora Journals site. I found it one of the best, most moving, Secret Adventures of Jules Verne stories I have read. I hope you will change your mind and share more of your SAJV stories with the fans.
Andi chapter 8 . 10/25/2005
Adorable:) Loved the barricade and the apples the best - lol! - would have loved to see Rebecca's reaction to the whole thing! Could you write a sequel with that? :)
Frodine chapter 8 . 3/1/2005
This was very well written . . .and it combined two of my favorite stories! Verne was perfect, and Fogg was wonderful, as several other reviewers pointed out. Drying her eyes even though there were no more words left to read, indeed . . .although I must admit it was rather fulfilling to see him pelted with apples. Good for Polly!
unutterably stupid chapter 8 . 10/20/2004
I should know when a story drags me along demanding that I read it that I know the author from somewhere. This will teach me to look at the name of the author as well as the title and the synopsis. Glad to see you're still at it. ... oh, I used to read you on the FKficlist...

Thank you for a wonderful, well written, incredible story in one of my favorite universes. Sort of leaves one wanting to know what more happens in Shillingworth Magna and to Polly and her friends.
Wandering Raccoon chapter 8 . 3/23/2004
That was most excellent. But then, your stories have never been anything but. They all make me wish and hope and pray that someday there will be a season two of the show (as unlikely as it is) Cheers.
rann chapter 8 . 1/4/2004
What a perfectly wonderful story. You kept the characters so true to the way they are portrayed that one could the words being said, particularly Fogg.
Thank you for sharing your talent.
Jessica chapter 8 . 11/19/2003
Superb as usual! :D You keep writing and we'll keep reading! You Rock!
aces chapter 8 . 11/18/2003
I am speechless, but despite that, I'll try to say how wonderful this story was. Polly is a brilliant character, and Jules is adorable and sweet as always (and so very, very French...), and Phil in the last chapter...marvelous. Really, really marvelous.
Claudia chapter 8 . 11/14/2003
That was lovely - I especially liked how cute Phileas was with Polly! Is there a sequel in the works?

I'm sure Polly would get along very well with Rebecca (hint, hint).

You're a good writer, and thanks for the story.
Felicia Angel chapter 8 . 10/23/2003
That was so cute! To see through the eyes of a nine year old as she tries to save Jules. Hehe, Fogg got pelted with apples.