Reviews for Beyond What Came Before
Guest chapter 14 . 9/28/2014
Why is Ron the stupid one when Hermione is the one that fucked things up between them?
Guest chapter 5 . 9/28/2014
Why is Hermione such a condescending twat all the time?
RumorGoddess chapter 35 . 7/15/2014
Well written and enjoyable! I really liked the progression of the characters, especially how Ron began to mature throughout. Thanks for writing!
misstaken1 chapter 35 . 3/22/2014
Great story...thanks for sharing!
the iz chapter 35 . 5/27/2013
wow. this was quite an experience. its been ten years since this story was written; if the dates are correct, when this was published online we were only up to ootp. but somehow, this is one of the truest and most naturalistic potter fanfics ive ever read. the characters were in-character, the storyline was utterly believable and fit perfectly with the world created in the books. even more astonishingly, you predicted things that actually came about in the last two books, such as tonks/remus, harry/ginny (even their first kiss, pretty much), malfoy letting death eaters in, snape being good and the use of the phrase 'end of an era'. i actually squeaked aloud when i read that :L
reading this felt like stepping into a time warp of some sort and was weirdly emotional; in fact, it felt more like stepping back into a house you used to live in, with all your best memories in it, and finding it slightly altered from what you remembered. eerie.
im now left with the strange feeling that ive just read a missing harry potter book as opposed to a piece of fanfiction. its hard to reconcile the two different accounts of the trio's seventh year - the canon one of camping, horcruxes and an epic battle at the end, and this masterfully written one of romance, malfoy the double agent and mind control - because this fic has planted itself so firmly in my mind. like when you cant tell the difference between dreams and memories.
anyway, im not sure if you even still check reviews on this - its been almost a decade - but this was brilliant and strange and moving, so thank you.
Guest chapter 35 . 12/19/2011
I really like this story! None of my favorite characters died, and I'm very happy with it. You could evoke a very accomplished writer should you set your mind to it.
idol269 chapter 33 . 2/12/2011
Why does Malfoy keep getting a pass? How many heinous things can he get away with befire he faces judgment? Sorry his home life is so messed up, but that doesn't give him the right to be a prick, torture people, or be an accomplice to murder. There's no way Dumbledore would shield Malfoy after what he did to Ginny, and when Harry wakes up there's no way he won't get strangled. If he gets forgiven again, you need to move this story into the parody section.
idol269 chapter 22 . 2/12/2011
It's a bit ironic that Hermione gives Ron a necklace that means "faith" and then questions whether the only reason he did something for her on Valentine's Day was to get her into bed. That's not having very much faith in him.

I ws enjoying the progress in thier relationship, especially seeing how vigoroussly Hermione rebuffed Malfoy, but reading that reminded me of all the things I don't like about her in this story.
idol269 chapter 13 . 2/12/2011
Good ol' Hermione, doing what she does best and running away again.

Seriously, why does Ron like her? She's a bitch.
idol269 chapter 11 . 2/12/2011
I just don't understand why Ron wants to be with Hermione here. She never spends any time with him; she runs away from him often but never toward him She has more contact with Malfoy, a guy that's verbally abused her for years. She always puts school, Head Girl duties, Harry, or dancing with other people ahead of Ron.

Maybe he thinks he can't get anyone else? Hopefully I'll find out the reason for his "attraction" to her in a future chapter, because it is not apparant right now at all.
idol269 chapter 3 . 2/11/2011
That's good that Hermione's giving Malfoy the benefit of the doubt here instead of Ron. After all, Malfoy's the one who's been a loyal friend to her for years and always stands up for her when someone attacks her, while Ron's been abusive to her and called her racist slurs while supporting Voldemort.

Wait minute, I had that backwards. Hermione's not supporting her friend, she's supporting her abuser and a member of the family that makes it a priority to hurt the Weasleys. With a friend like her, who needs enemies?
idol269 chapter 2 . 2/11/2011
So Head Boy and Head Girl rooms are right next to each other in the same school where boys can't even set foot in the girls' dormitories? Seems unlikely.

And please tell me this is not another cliched fic where everybody is alright with Malfoy except for Ron. Harry hated Malfoy just as much, if not more, so there's no way Harry would be perfectly fine if Ron was this upset.
idol269 chapter 1 . 2/11/2011
What is up with fanfic authors' obsessions with placing Malfoy as Head Boy? It makes no sense; when has he demonsrated any traits that qualify him for the position?

Leadership? No.

Bravery? Hardly.

Honesty? You're not serious.

Academic achievement? You mean outside of a biased potions class?

Service to others? Non-existent.

Maybe he bought the position like he did his Quidditch spot.
l.noir chapter 1 . 7/30/2010
This looks great!
Swell chapter 35 . 6/8/2010
Shez - amazing story. It totally and completely pulled me in. I especially - absolutely - loved how you wrote Ron. Writing from a guy's perspective is difficult to do, and sometimes it can come across as too romantic or fluffy - but I thought you struck just the right mix of humor (bloody hilarious!), confusion, and romantic bungling. You really were channeling Ron's voice, and you made him such a compelling character. I fell in love with this story - actually couldn't tear myself away for one whole afternoon at work! I don't know if you are still writing, but I hope you are because this was incredible talent. Thank you for this story.