Reviews for Salvation
Jani chapter 2 . 7/2/2010
I enjoyed it. I think you did a good job trying to fit Buffy fiction with the Bible. Very interesting ideas- kind of a brainstorming session - "what ifs" :) And it's good to see Spike get a "happy end."
Ironbear chapter 1 . 3/11/2008
Wow. I've been working through your story list for most of the afternoon until I hit this one. You write a lot of powerful fics, and I have to say: this is one of the most powerful in your bibliography.

I read your disclaimers, and while I wish I could say that I'm surprised that anyone would take virulent offense to the concepts of Spike/William-the-Bloody/William Pratt having been a Christian in life and retaining those memories in unlife... after 20 years on the 'net, not much amazes me any more in what people will spew.

IMO, given his pre-vampiric life in 1800's England, I would be astonished if Spike had been anything *but* Christian in upbringing and faith before his turning. Anglican, yes, or some other branch of protestant rather than Catholic, but definitely Christian - lapsed or not.

Good story, and it delves into some areas of souls and redemption that BtVS and AtS skiretd around carefully rather than ever tackling head on. (Possibly because of Whedon's self-avowed agnosticism) You're to be commended for tackling it and doing it superbly.
sroni chapter 2 . 11/6/2007
I just wanted to let you know that this was well done, and I think you kept Spike in character. To be honest, I've often wanted to tackle this type of thing, and gave up the idea because I know I can't do it. You did. Thank you for writing this.
Tangentsferret chapter 2 . 12/23/2006
I cried.
Tris chapter 2 . 12/12/2006
This is a very good story. Of course, I'm hardly one to offer an opinion on wether Spike's IC or not, because I've never, despite good intentions, watched so much as five minutes of Buffy. However, I still think it's a very good, beliveable story. The priest is a good guy.

More would be nice, but this is a good ending.
Mandy Lancaster chapter 2 . 8/18/2006
I found this a very interesting take. The realization that Jesus understood because of his own dual nature was a stroke of insight I never would have thought of on my own.

You're right that Jossverse vampires and actual religion is an awkward fit but I think you made it work. I do remember one time on Angel s2 the 1950s episode someone handed Angel a Bible and it burned him. But I'm not sure holy objects have as much effect on Spike. As you point out, his soul and demon aren't fighting each other. I remember with particular fondness Spike hitting Angel with a huge cross that Angel couldn't even pick up. Yeah, there was smoke coming from his hands but he stood there holding it.
AJ Mercedes chapter 2 . 2/3/2006
"Authors live to know that someone is reading our carp and it's touching them somehow."

Well, I don't normally read fish, but I did enjoy your Spike, and it's good to see someone approach his story with his soul's redemption in mind. And I don't think you defanged him at all. I thought that he might argue the existence of God more, but I suppose if his demon could remember Lucifer and the Fall (something that I've not read before so MAJOR kudos for that), it would be rather futile. Or more of "where was God when" type ranting, but I did see that there is a sequel, so maybe you added it to that.

Anyway, good story, nice execution and characterization.
zzilly14 chapter 2 . 11/10/2004
Very good! And unique. Now I'm going to have to read the other stories in this AU :)

Christian!Spike. That makes me happy :)
Melissa chapter 1 . 7/20/2004
Just though I'd do this right. Nice story Spike is so desolate in the begining with real hope in the end for something better. I liked it a lot.
blondigirl chapter 2 . 7/15/2004
Wow. What a great idea for a Spike fic! Being a Christian myself, I really enjoyed the concept of Spike turning to the Lord for redemption. I'm looking forward to reading more of your fics.
zanthinegirl chapter 2 . 7/3/2004
I really liked this story; I haven’t read anything else quite like it. I don’t know why people would find the idea of Spike finding what he’s looking for in church odd, considering all that has happened in Buffy. I suspect that the whole “burned by holy objects thing
Illmantrim-the-Wanderer chapter 2 . 6/22/2004
bravo - i love it

hope you dont mind if i pimp this out on my journal

Illmantrim
Hieiko chapter 2 . 6/15/2004
This is beautiful. I actually like the idea of Spike as a Christian. It makes sense. I'm a Christian myself, and this story almost made me cry, because I was so touched.
DebR chapter 2 . 3/12/2004
(BTW: this is SD from the GAFF board.) This is a terrific story. . .you keep Spike in character and do a great job with the message of salvation without being preachy. Tom is a wonderful original character, and Topper is exactly the kind of dog that I can picture hanging around with Spike.
The descriptions are excellent, and I really enjoyed this. Thanks for a good read!
Carol chapter 2 . 10/27/2003
Absolutely lovely. Thank you so much for writing it.