Reviews for The Only Constant
BiblioMatsuri chapter 1 . 1/28/2013
*stifles laughter* *fails* HA HA HA HA...! Seto and Joey's interactions here, especially once Mokuba and Alix got thrown into the mix, are hilarious, and still in character. (Honestly, the biggest difference between this version and canon Seto is that in canon, he was a skeptic to the end.)

Nice character exploration.

And I'm sure Joey's cussed out a few vending machines for eating his money.
killing u with umbrellas chapter 1 . 8/4/2012
Loved it
Closed Parentheses chapter 1 . 3/28/2011
...Ryou's father's family was from HOKKAIDO? That's why he's pale?

Dammit, Ellen, no Japanese are 'from Hokkaido,' not really. The oldest colonists have been there a couple hundred years, but that was just the southern margins, and definitely nothing that'd have a genetic impact anytime soon. Or ever, given modern conveniences. And if Bakura-san was Ainu, it'd be more likely to show up in Ryou being HAIRY than pale, though it's true they aren't really Asian and are maybe a bit paler. Supposedly they're descended from the Yemishi who lost to the first Yamato emperor and were driven northeast around the eighth century, but...yeah. They're also probably somewhat related to their Siberian neighbors. They're the /Ainu/. A lot of their imposed surnames are Japanese, so 'Bakura' is a possibility, but not a lot of them get highly educated or widely traveled, so Ryou's father would be a fascinating anomaly.

The Japanese didn't even admit they existed until they were done exploiting and destroying their culture. It's basically the Amerindians over again within the last century. Colonization and subjugation, outright theft and oblique enslavement. People are never going to change.

But...yeah. I really doubt you meant he had Ainu heritage, since that would effectively mean he was not half-foreign but /not really Japanese at all/, the way they count minzoku, which would be a whole subplot in itself, not an excuse for pallor. Which suggested you didn't know the truth about Hokkaido, which...yeah. Pressed my buttons. Thought you ought to be informed.

Although exploring a half-Ainu, half-British character could be fun. It would also mean Ryou was pretty much the most guaranteed guy in their group to be able to grow a proper beard (tied with Jonouchi if he's Joey-from-America as in your fanon), which would be funny.
lilystar6 chapter 1 . 10/3/2010
epic
Twisted Midnight Dreams chapter 1 . 3/29/2010
LOVE LOVE LOVE!

I know you havn't updated this since '03, but trust me, everyone'd love it if you did. Including me
Florida Alicat chapter 1 . 5/15/2009
AW! This is so CUTE! I think you are good at writing fluff.
hoheehum chapter 1 . 5/10/2008
As finely done an open-ended piece as I've seen.

A cycle through many characters, with a strong and binding theme, laced neatly around two uncomplicated but intriguing plot lines (three if you count Tea, but she was really more a sub-plot). Ended with the convergence of the Joey and Seto plots, their meeting itself a reinforcement of the theme of "change," rather than a gratuitous mash-up that tries to tie together all the pieces and just ends making a lumpy, unrecognizable mess of everything.

Tidy and elegant.

Loved it!
Snickerer chapter 1 . 1/12/2006
A very nice look at the aftermath. The POVs are extremely well done, and I love how you can tell whose perspective it is in just a couple of sentences even before any names are really mentioned.

I really like the thing with both Yugi and Tea/Isis scaring people because they see who they are and love them anyway. -

"Did something else get out of the Shadow Realm? Are we EVER going to get anything to stay put there?" XD Wonderful line. And too true, really.

Not sure what else to say, except that all the scenes involving Kaiba are great. Not just Kaiba, either - the interactions and all the other characters are beautifully done. Mokuba-Alix tag team...oh, /dear/
omasuoniwabanshi chapter 1 . 9/23/2005
Yes! A sequel! I'm a happy camper now! I thought the first person POV worked out splendidly. You kept absolutely every character IN character (and age-appropriate too). I loved the little details that made it sound so authentic, like Tea having to remember that western books are read from left to right, and Seto having a key card rather than a key for his mansion. Very few authors are as painstaking as you. Way to go!
Kim C chapter 1 . 6/2/2005
Just finished rereading this and I have a question. Would Yami really pass on with Yugi, since he's tied to the Puzzle? Wouldn't it be more likely that the two would be separated again?
DarkShadowFlame chapter 1 . 8/30/2004
Aww- that was fantastic! I thought this was really cool, actually. You covered all the characters separately (or in pairs). Funny, like the last story. _

DSF
anaraz chapter 1 . 8/6/2004
Alix is so cool.

loved it.
Skittles the Sugar Fairy chapter 1 . 4/21/2004
*promptly dies laughing*
riskygamble chapter 1 . 11/20/2003
This is wonderful! I'd been hoping for a sequel to Ankoku wo Osore Nai ever since I first read it. I love the way you write Seto and Mokuba. It's also very good to see Tristan being used in the stories as more than wallpaper. Thanks for a great read, and I hope to see more from you soon.
KAylen chapter 1 . 11/8/2003
A very fitting sequel. Very well done.

adds this to favorites too

Once again, I love the portrayal of the characters.

adds little trinkets here and there to the alter and lights the candles

Hope you don't mind the sent of lavender...