Reviews for Always a Bridesmaid, Never a Bride
Cat chapter 15 . 9/12
Broshark chapter 15 . 10/27/2015
Awesome story. I was rewatching Justice League for the first time in over a decade, and when I got to this episode there was so much subtext between Diana and Audrey that I just knew I wouldn't be happy unless I could find a fic that explored that.
Guest chapter 15 . 10/2/2015
This is one of the things I love about fanfiction. You've taken bits of canon and added in a great story around them that _might_ have happened.

I really appreciated how Diana kept trying to help Ivy heal as a person. Ivy's anti-male obsession makes her the perfect way for Diana to confront how the Amazon's ideals might go very wrong and then you went and made that conflict much more than philosophical and vital to winning a tough fight. That was really great plotting.

That last big fight also really underlined some of DC's themes when it comes to women. You had THREE princesses (Four if you count that Raven's father rules a hell dimension) and three of the group were Warrior Women. Perhaps Disney should have purchased DC instead of Marvel?
Mike A chapter 15 . 8/16/2015
I read this story in the past, and just now sat down and re-read it, end to end.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I hope you've written many more stories.
Guest chapter 15 . 7/12/2015
Great story, thanks for the read.
Nemrut chapter 15 . 9/12/2013
Liked the way Diana interacted with a lot of the other characters and how her relationship with Audrey developed.

I know the DC universe heroes are big on the "no killing" thing, but I always figured that Diana would be the one least shackled to that philosophy, being a soldier an amazon warrior, so, I did expect her to react a bit less forgiving on several occasions.

Still, enjoyed it very much, thank you for sharing this.
Tsuki the Avenger chapter 15 . 7/1/2013
Okay, this story was absolutely divine! Your characterization and dialogue was spot on. (I may disagree that Batman would ever have been okay with Catwoman in the watchtower, but I'll suspend disbelief because the rest of the story was so, so, so good.) And excellent use of the DCAU and weaving in very true-to-the-comic characterizations of Raven and Kori- in my own DCAU story I've tried to do that 'weaving' too, but I can't help but feel that yours just felt so much more natural/less confusing. This is definitely going in my favorites! Thanks for the lovely read.
Erratus Enigma chapter 15 . 5/9/2012
Bloody screaming hell, this was utterly and absolutely fantastic. And I don't even like Wonder Woman all that much!

First of all, I'd like to start with grammar. I know, I know, it's a bit unfair, since this story was finished more than eight years ago, but even so there are some mistakes throughout the story that haven't been corrected, so it stands tall in my list of things to say.

Mostly, throughout the story your writing is very good. Your sentences make sense, the use of words is good, even if once or twice it got a bit repetitive, and you have the ability to dish out some pretty powerful sentences. I particularly liked the fact that you did not overdo it. It can get old very fast, but they were well-managed, only making the story shine a little brighter.

Not all's good in English Land, however. There've been, I think, some fifteen or twenty misspellings and minor mistakes in these fifteen chapters, so I'd really advise a re-check. If you like, I could even e-mail the sentences for you, so it gets a bit easier.

Now, onto the characters!

I will admit, I don't have that much experience with Wonder Woman. It's clear to me that you support your stories with a very wide foundation. I don't know exactly, but I'd say that, along with the Justice League cartoon, it also goes back to the Batman cartoons and the comics, too. You wouldn't have knowledge of Raven otherwise, as I don't believe she appears in the animated series before the Teen Titans one.

Even though, I'd like to think that I have an idea of how her character's basic points should play out, and I believe you've nailed them in your story. How she struggles with her inner-self, shifting between her impulsive, courageous side and her worrying, obsessive one. Ah, Wonder Woman, split between Love and Cautiousness. Never thought I'd see the day.

It's also very good that you don't idealize your characters. They have a lot going on with their personality, and it's good to see they're not major bastions of lightness and goodness. They're heroes, true, but flawed as well. Especially well done was the conflict with the Alter-League, and how well those differences have played out. Wonder Woman consulting her alternative self for guidance? Hell, that was REALLY unexpected, and so well done. We tend to forget that villains are also humans, no matter how they are. No, I'm not looking at Poison Ivy and Harley, those two get a lot of humanization going on.

From about chapter nine I knew something major was going to happen to Audrey and their relationship, and kidnapping was high on my last, but it, too, was done marvelously. As battle raged on, my eyes were glued to the screen. The action scenes were good, even if that wasn't the focus. Your grasp on Koriand'r and Raven seemed a little strenuous, but it was not bad, not at all. And, heh, Raven, the frail girl? Yeah, she had it coming.

You worked really well to put Audrey on a better standing here. Not only spoiled princess, not only party girl. Not only victim, lover. You created a very realistic and well-composed character out of a really short exposition to the character, and for that I congratulate you, dear writer. Again, it must seem like it's not much, especially from such an "old" tale, but I'm really looking forward from your newer stories. If they're this good now, how must they look, say, three years or four from this one?

I'm salivating already.

And-good lord, shame on me. I know you! You've written some very good Kim Possible stories-stories those I think I haven't reviewed yet. Accursed be my existence.

I'll cut this review short on this point, lest I rant your mind away, and believe me when I do not want all the goodness in your grey matter to spoil. No, no, all those delicious stories must be preserved, and then created.

RisanF chapter 15 . 9/15/2011
You did a good job of capping off all the major plot threads, including the Ivy/Harley subplot. There was a lot of tension in these last few chapters, which makes it more gratifying when Diana gets back with Audrey and Ivy gets a leg up on Joker (even if she doesn't know it). Good use of Superman here; he's always good for delivering solid, down-to-earth advice. All in all, a great story and a wonderful interpretation of Princess Audrey of Kasnia.
RisanF chapter 12 . 9/15/2011
This part is pretty funny, and a good explanation for what Batman might have been doing during Comfort and Joy. I never really liked Catwoman from TNBA, but you've done a very good job in crafting an honest relationship between her and Batman, especially since you've allowed Bruce to lighten up a bit in her presence. The scene where all the costumed character (plus Audrey) are squabbling in the Watchtower reminds me of what I love about superhero comics.
Lousy Poet Automaton chapter 5 . 6/30/2011
I can't remember if I've already reviewed this before.

The idea is OK, but your plotting is not quite up to executing your concept. For example, rather than spacing out introspection and dialogue with action, you just skip all the action (if you consider your action scenes to be subpar so you're avoiding doing it, how will you ever improve, and if you think you're ok at them, why skip them?). And you have some events that are... well, not implausible, but Diana had better alternatives available.

For example - she did not have to go to Poison Ivy for the cure. She could have looked for the Swamp Thing, or asked for the assistance of one of the many super-geniuses acquainted with the League (there's more than just Batman in that category, such as Mr. Terrific). Or she could have tried the purple ray (depending on the continuity, Wonder Woman invented it, or it was invented by someone who chose to stay with the Amazons).

Second, why is she confiding in these random people who have no reason to be discrete? Ivy owes her nothing. Justice Lord Diana outright hates her. She could talk it over with Hawk Girl, or with Superman, or any number of heroes she trusts more.

If you *really* wanted Diana to interact with Ivy and Harlequin just because they may eventually have a relationship which will affect her own feelings, it would have been better to have a single prolonged arc where Diana gets dragged into dealing with them, or they get dragged into a larger plot and need Wonder Woman's help. Having her drop in like a gal pal is... not the best way of doing it.

I see that this hasn't been updated in many years, so your skills may very well be a lot better now. Will try one of your newer stories.
RisanF chapter 10 . 3/8/2011
One thing I like about this story is how you've improved the Batman/Wonder Woman relationship by taking out the romantic aspect of it. We've gotten away from the whole motorcycle guy/prom queen dating games, and now Batman and Wonderwoman just talk like friends and adults that respect each other.

I like Hawkgirl's inner monologue on Flash's personality. Going deeper into his individual quirks somehow makes him even funnier.
RisanF chapter 9 . 12/18/2010
Clever how you managed to parlay the canon events of JL into your plot. It's adorable how Diana goes halfway across the world to wake up her girlfriend after the big League tiff. There's really not enough of this kind of warm and fuzzy feeling in literature these days, where couples actually support each other instead of participating in endless UST bickering.

As always, I enjoy your little quips giving us insight to the Leaguers. "Batman's never afraid to say what nobody wants to listen to." "You're like a girl waiting for her crush to ask her to the school dance!" Really sharp, on-target accessions that bring the League to life.
Ltlconf chapter 8 . 10/20/2010
The whole idea that Diana wouldn't be at LEAST bisexual is rather silly if you think about it: she's an AMAZON!

Lets think about it logically for a second folks: Thousands of IMMORTAL (in the DCAU) women, all in the prime of their lives, with ALL the drives of other women, on an isolated island for thousand of years with NO MEN. What do you think is going to freaking happen!

Just because the DC writers haven't the gonads to to really face up to and explore this little bit of logic doesn't mean the inhabitants of the DC Universe wouldn't have. At the least the Martian Manhunter would have, he's got the time. Sure, many will like men, as much as they like women, but I seriously think Amazons are all nuns waiting for men to arrive, or even a decent minority...seriously, does anyone buy that?

So, sure, alot of hoopla at first, until everyone has had time to sit back and really think through the ramifications of the unique Amazonian society. After that, its going to be more "Well, heck, why didn't we think of and see this before? My aren't we a bit dim..." Fact is, for the bulk of the population, if Superman thinks Wonder Woman is ok, they'll go along and call anyone else a bigot. Why? He's freaking Superman! You'll have some TV commentator going "Hello folks, what did you think was going on on that island for 5000 years? Embroidery?" And that'll pretty much end it with anyone still griping seen as an idiot.

Frankly, Audrey is the one facing the worst, I've been to Eastern Europe for extended trips an I found it more sexist and homophobic than the American South by far. I may be wrong, but that was my impression. Her being gay is going to cost her the throne, but considering the future of her country, best to not be shackled to that corpse! Shame for them though, way she's written she's the best chance they've got...

On a whole Allaine, you've had the gall to go where DC is fearful to tread. Shame you've stopped writing, this one's done, but others are unfinished and this storyline had places to go...too bad.
RisanF chapter 8 . 7/4/2010
This is one of my favorite chapters for the whipcrack dialogue that sounds just like the characters from the show. I like how, even though everyone's at each other's throats, there's no real "villain" in this chapter. The argument is intense, but not childish.