Reviews for War Dust
Guest chapter 1 . 1/11/2014
Wow. This is absolutely, mind-blowingly amazing. I loved how you organically wove in strands of literature into this story. And the Akhilleus/Patroklos parallels with Maedhros/Fingon were amazingly done.
Killingmemory chapter 1 . 6/1/2012
This must be the most brilliant one-shot I have ever read. You blow my mind. Beautifully, wonderfully written, creative and imaginative and grand in scale in a way that has absolutely nothing to with the number of words. I loved the associations you've drawn, all those connections you've made between disparate times and characters. This has the feel of an epic, so bright and aching and just utterly, utterly beautiful.

My god, your talent for the evocative makes me dizzy.
Confused Pumpkin chapter 1 . 8/6/2011
That was just...SO GOOD. Beautiful, and wistful, and a story sad enough to break your heart. But then again, the fates of the sons of Feanor were all tragic. I think I read this before on HASA but I don't have an account there. Having read the Iliad, I can see the parallels where the Trojan War is like the Battle of Unnumbered Tears. Possibly the most moving part for me was when Amras awoke and asked where Fingon was, and all Maedhros said was that Turgon was now their king. So heartbreaking. And one of my favorite lines was this:

"I envy your grief, for my brother's sake. He loved and loved and could not shed one tear."
HaloFin17 chapter 1 . 3/16/2007
That was truly lovely! I don't know if you're still around the site now-adays to see this review, but I want to thank you for writing this fic anyway! The best of both worlds. There should be more Tolkien/Iliad crossovers - yours was beautiful and indescribably moving!

Halo
queenieb chapter 1 . 11/7/2004
Thank you for combining two of my favorite wordspinners: Tolkien and Homer. This was stunning and beautifully written, not to mention canonical. Well done!
RavenLady chapter 2 . 1/4/2004
Beautiful story. Must find out more about the Illiad now . . . I might even read it . . . not many people could have gotten me so interested.
Friend of Maglor chapter 1 . 11/30/2003
That is my name in every place I go,
Friend of Maglor
Walker of shores now lost to memory
With he who walks alone
Yet not alone, for we are together
ach...i dont know what to say...I have read the Iliad to the pnt of memorization, and I love the way you portray it...absolutely incredible to weave the story so, ths part of the Silmarillion you flash back to is the one I have chosen to write on myself...but tell me, I can hardly tell, are you one of those who turns the relationships of BOTH stories to "slash" or do you refrain from such hideous morale dismemberment? I honestly could not discern...
~*~the Protector
Klose chapter 1 . 11/23/2003
*weeps* You're cruel, you know that?

I admit, I've been on an Achilles high (cough), so I managed to find this fic from the search engine, though I actually recall some reviewers recommeding it sometime back. :)

Ahem. I do admit to resenting Achillies/Patroklos submit to some extent (though I can accept it) and I'd only just today likened them to the Maedhros and Fingon of our fandom, so it makes so much sense here.

I love how you liken Achilles and Maedhros and yet differentiate them- it's keeps it real. And while I'm talking about real, I was struck by this line:

"It does not hurt more than a scratch would, but appearances must be kept up."

What's strange that what I liked most was how Maglor interacted (or didn't, for that matter) with his environment- and I loved the ending. :)

I wish I'd thought of this, but I doubt I would have written it as well. ;)

And I'll stop babbling now, and just tell you that this was simply wonderful. Very well done.
lipstick chapter 1 . 11/16/2003
I read this a few days ago and lost co-herence at it's brilliance. I'm going to attempt to leave a semi-coherent view now.

I love Maglor's detatchment from the situation, as others have noticed. He does not get involved, he watches, he comments as one who has indeed seen it all before. "One has to believe with the times" I can so se this as an elf's viewpoint, particularly a damned son of Feanor.

You weave the two stories incredibly well, using each to bring out the poiniancy, and almost a sense of futility in the other. What is the point to die a hero after all.

And I am now going to read the Iliad. I feel like a shocking ignoramous.

Loved this very, very much.
Taelle chapter 2 . 11/6/2003
*Sigh* Your stories are definitely full of sadness, but oh-so-beautiful sadness...
Lalwen chapter 1 . 11/6/2003
Stunning story - really wonderful. Having just read "The Firebrand" and having a general adoration of Maedhros and Maglor, I have to say that I greatly enjoyed this tying in of the two tales.

Very very well written.
Maid of Ainur chapter 1 . 11/6/2003
Too beautiful for words.
Jaded Scorpio chapter 2 . 11/3/2003
Wow-a truly excellent piece. Great blending of the epics.
Finch chapter 1 . 11/2/2003
Mènin aeide, thea, of the Spirit of Fire and his scions... At first I merely saw the parallel Maedhros&Fingon/Achilles&Patroklos, but then I realised it was the whole 'let's make war to regain our stolen property' thing. An excellent reminder of what The Silmarillion is doing right, even if it's a one-man mythology.

It was interesting to note the absence of any scenes revealing Maglor as a different kind of being; he is essentially the onlooker who does not meddle with the fates of mortals, but registers all. Hence my thought, somewhere halfway the story, that he would turn out to be the maker of the Iliad - "I will sing of you". (And the end doesn't make it impossible, does it?)

I loved Maglor's thoughts about the Greeks and their gods, and his almost-understanding. I also loved the small but striking details strewn throughout the text (Finr- Orodreth; Achilles' Kinslayers, etc). A wonderful piece of work.

One question: If you give the original versions of the names, wouldn't it be better to call the Greeks Danaoi? Danaans made me think of Celtic mythology (Tuatha de Danann).
Mouse chapter 2 . 11/2/2003