Reviews for Curses of The Siren
Marlean chapter 4 . 8/31/2011
GREAT story. Loved it. Please read mine!
Queen of the Skye chapter 4 . 8/21/2009
oh god that's HORRIBLE! horribly sad and morbid, and...

no, i'm not saying the writing is horrible. the writing is a bit TOO good. i just never want to think about that again...
the yellow flower chapter 4 . 3/29/2008
whoa. i think that was a sadder ending then the real book! goodness that was just.. whoa. wow. i don't know where to go from here..
Adi Sagestar chapter 4 . 9/28/2007
Oh wow... that's... morbid...
Silverblue60 chapter 4 . 7/14/2007
My God.

Spare, perfect; not a word is superfluous or wasted. This is one of the most brilliant, disturbing things I have ever read. Chilled me to the bone. I loved it.

Thank you for your imagination and for posting.

Silver/Annemarie
Pandora Jinx chapter 1 . 1/11/2007
Dear Scorpion,

Gah! This ending reminds me of the stuff I used to right when I was a child. Your mother must be appalled.

How absolutely abysmal and disgusting!

Gross!

Repulsive!

Horrifying!

…..I love it…..

Your sprinkling of gore spices things up just enough without overpowering our senses. Saving the gore for the last chapter, rather than lacing the story with it, is somehow more horrifying. We aren’t numb by the time the siren comes for Christine, but are able to feel the siren embrace us, every burning breath of icy water, and finally the corpses on the pile, and the little rats scuttling over her body.

I don’t think I could have handled the ending if you hadn’t implied that Erik was behind this, and that he lied to Christine. Somehow, that helped to soften the blow a little (just a very little) because you have, once again, killed Christine.

There must be something about being a Swedish, mentally unstable, repressed ingénue opera singer that begs to be terrorized, victimized, drowned, haunted, arrested, kidnapped, married unwillingly, and killed in the most melodramatic ways.

But…

If she must be killed, I very much enjoy your ways of killing her. We are always sorry to see her go, yet her death is always so appropriately dramatic, we don’t feel slighted in the least. Rather than leaving us with an angry feeling or just sadness, or – heaven forbid – gladness, you bring out in your readers a bittersweet melancholy, tinged with post traumatic shock that produces the most delightful hunger pangs for more, More, MORE! Muahahaha!
sarah chapter 3 . 11/26/2006
This has to be one of the most suspenseful stories I have ever read! Congrats!
Sailor Pandabear chapter 4 . 8/19/2006
creepy and good!
Assimbya chapter 4 . 7/26/2006
Gorgeous and heartbreaking. This story is amazing...the descriptions were all beautiful, even the macbre ones of dead bodies. And the concept...so tragic.
phantomy-cookies chapter 4 . 9/28/2005
Adieu indeed…

Well, well. What do I say? WHAT DO I SAY? How does one some up this little tour de force without being as giddy and phangirly as possible? (Pffpft. As if YOU would know.)

But yes, darling. I’m feeling very phangirly right now. Hope you don’t mind too much. One more chapter of this and I might have started pledging my first born children to you. Thank heavens you’ve limited us to four chapters. As desperate as I am to cling to your stories and characters, I don’t think there was much more that needed to be said. Everything… was magnificent.

And I can’t put it more plainly than that.

I’ve always thought that one of the most significant things that distinguished you above any and every writer on Fan Fiction is your sheer ability to engage the readers’ senses so acutely. Believe you me, my dear, it is a gift. It begins so subtly as well, with Christine remarking on how impossibly cold it is, despite the fact that it’s summertime. The stroke…stroke…stroke… and the freezing air that made her numb… ack. I could be sitting right in the middle of the torture chamber while reading that and I would still get chills down my spine. THAT is fantastic writing.

To this day, Christine’s song still scares the living hell out of me. Almost as much as the light of a match illuminating the eyes of a rotting corpse. Mwahahaha!

Oh my. Ask me where ‘The Useful Personality’ receives its inspiration? What could possibly be more gruesome than a pile of rotting flesh, twisted and putrid in some far reaching corner of the cellars? The descriptions are absolutely fantastic. Bugs sliding in and out of mouths, coupled with the rats burrowing under the clothing and nibbling on dead fingers? If there was one visual I appreciated more than any other, it was that body falling into the water once the pile had been ‘upset’. It was so randomly horrifying. Truly, my darling, you are the absolute master of the macabre. ;)

Ah! But what story of the Scorpion’s would be complete without that remarkable little bit of tragic irony? The first time I read this, I was blown away by just how wretchedly awful the ending was for Erik and Christine. It worked so perfectly, and yet it was all so wrong. Both of their dreams seemed to die together, which (arguably) still makes for an E/C sort of ending. LOL.

I am gushing. Not blood, mind you, but yes. Gushing. I’ll say it again: you are brilliant. In the whole symphony of Scorpion horror, this is by far and wide one of its best movements.

*mwah*

Humbly and respectfully yours,

phantomy-cookies
phantomy-cookies chapter 3 . 9/27/2005
[A short note before the phantomy-cookies review commences: Scorpion, you are such a monkey. I greatly love these chapter titles, and wish to voice my approval. End note.]

Goodness gracious! How on EARTH did I forget all of this mind-bendingly brilliant Scorpion romance? The hand holding? The expensive dresses? The tears? The little kiss Erik places on her hand? THEIR WEDDING NIGHT!

*rolls in cookie dough*

I can't get over it. It's so deliciously unsettling. All of it! Every glorious chunk! Reading this all over again has totally made me appreciate everything you've done here SO much more. Not that I didn't absolutely adore this when I first read it, but now that I've spent so much more time in your company, and have thereby had plenty of time to accustom myself to all of your little Scorpion idiosyncrasies, I can recognize and appreciate every exceptional morsel of your wit. FABULOUS.

The ending of this little chapter was obviously the BEST part, as I’m sure you’re very aware. *wink wink* When I first read it, I distinctly remember thinking, “Sweet merciful heavens, but that was a great lead into the next chapter.” Chilling, unsettling, and a little bit too foreboding. Never mind that I wasn’t already drooling over how fabulously Leroux all of it was. I’ve always tried to pick apart which stories of yours best captured Leroux’s characters, and at this point it’s a toss up between ‘Curses’ and ‘Sepulchral Elegy.’ Or maybe I just love how Leroux this Erik is. Crazy, in love, and totally irresponsible for any and all tragic deaths that may or may not have had SOMETHING to do with him. Mwahaha!

((“As the Sirens lured mariners to destruction with their song, I find the fairy tale fits our surroundings…the lake…the boat…the music…And the destruction of the cruelties of outside reality… It is just an idea, Christine. Now and then, you will find that the strangest ideas come to me…”))

Sorry. Just wanted to point out how great that line was.

*shivers*

Okay. I’m serious. You REALLY have to hold my hand this time. Really.
phantomy-cookies chapter 2 . 9/27/2005
*sighs*

You know, I totally forgot about this. And I can’t believe that I forgot about this. I just finished reading this chapter and… and… wow. Wow! I am almost having trouble finding the words. (Which come to think of it is one of the main reasons why I never managed to review this sooner. Blah.) It’s fantastic. Magnificent! One of THE most amazing pieces of Scorpion!fluff that I have ever stumbled across. Whether or not you actually intended it to BE fluffy is a bit inconsequential.

Okay… how to describe…

It’s like, Christine’s love for Erik seems so literal. So believable. It isn’t weighed down by a lot of stupid and unnecessary descriptions about HOW MUCH she loves him and how it 'transcends all boundaries of human emotions' and blah blah blah. None of that. It’s caught and described in simple little ways. Simple... and strangely, disturbingly sweet.

The way E/C was *meant* to be, dangit!

((And then he would laugh at her nonsense and tell her that her skin was no less rosy than if it had been tinted by the flower itself…And then he would give her a rose…And she would press the soft bloom against her cheek and inhale its perfume…And feel like she might cry…Cry smiling…Cry laughing…Cry in his embrace…))

((All he wanted now was to live like an ordinary man with her always beside him. She wanted that for him too…And yet… Such an extraordinary man he is…))

Of course, this is nothing near the regular sort of cavity-inducing FLUFF, seeing as it *does* embody those random, disturbing qualities of your imagination. But the sentiments are perfect nonetheless, and I would even dare go so far as to say it is the single most romantic thing you have written. (Even more so than Consequences! LOL.) But you have yet to finish your other stories, so we’ll see if and when the romantic in you decides to resurface. If only for a brief moment, and before you silence it with an axe. Mwahahaha!

Oh... and Mamma Valerius? *moosh*

Scorpion, you get love and cookies if for nothing else than continually utilizing one of Leroux’s most ingenious and pitifully neglected characters. I love that crazy old hag almost as much as I love Neked!Christines. (But please, no Neked!Valeriuses.) Nothing more appealing than her untimely, tragic death... unless it's this:

((He promised her the living arrangements of a Goddess, yet she assured him any escape where they could rest in peace would do.))

R.I.P. Christine. *coughs* I mean... what? ;)

Okay. I’m already starting to get nervous. Erik is gone, and Christine is lonely. This can’t be good, and usually never is. Heehee. *GASPS*

Hold my hand?
phantomy-cookies chapter 1 . 9/27/2005
Scorpion! Darling! Guess what I decided to do with all of this free time on my hands today? Mwahahahaha! *kisses*

Yes, yes, yes! ‘Tis true, my exquisite little arachnid. No more cowering back in my chair every time I see this lurking at the bottom of my favorites! No more whimpering in the darkened corners of my bedroom, willing myself to gather up the courage to leave you some much-deserved praise. After all, ‘Elainie’ is currently the magnum opus of all things Scorpion, and what better way to celebrate the ending of the ‘Chunks’ era than by honoring what I consider to be your first, fabulously incredible exploration of horror.

The best part is that it’s been so long since I’ve read this, it feels like I’m just beginning it all over again. Like a brand new story from you, just waiting in my mailbox! *moosh*

I love the beginning. It’s such a familiar and endearing reflection of Leroux. The thoughts, actions, and expressions of the characters are conveyed with almost nothing but dialogue, and as the reader, we are able to visualize the entire scene through the wordplay of the characters. It’s just like when Erik and Christine are conversing in Chapter 23 of ‘The Tortures Begin’:

((“Up with you!...No!...No, I will go up myself, dear!”

“Oh, very well, I will go up. Let me go!”

“Oh, my darling, my darling!...How sweet of you!...How nice of you to save me the exertion at my age!”))

There you go! Perfect example. To the average, uninformed phantomy-reader, this might seem like a needlessly confusing way of describing what’s actually going on, but the thing we have to remember is that this is the Persian’s narrative, and as such, we’re witnessing this exchange by what *The Persian* actually sees and hears.

With regards to your story, the narrative could very well be Christines. In any case, excellent!

BTW- I really must say how much I love these original characters of yours. Chatty, hysterical, adorable... The perfect type of Mary Sues for a Phantom story… if you were one wit less of a decent writer, of course. (Heehee.) But as it stands, they serve a much better purpose as the victims of wet hems, opera ghosts, and blue!Christines. *hearts*

I love. I adore. And I am continuing...
sourapple5 chapter 4 . 9/14/2005
omg! that was soo sad! that was kind of disgusting but very well written!
orianna-2000 chapter 4 . 6/8/2005
I'm going to admit that the first time I read this, I missed a LOT of details somehow, so the story didn't make a whole lot of sense.

At first I thought the pile of bodies was just a place where the city dumped bodies instead of burying them. And for some odd reason, I thought that "Marie" was actually Mamma Valerius. When I figured out that the bodies had all been murdered, I couldn't understand why someone had killed Mamma Valerius, except maybe Erik so that Christine would have no place to go. And that seriously bothered me! It was a relief to figure out this time that Marie was another character entirely.

I also thought that Erik told the truth, he didn't kill anyone. Because of the line about tentacles, I thought the Siren was some kind of real sea creature. And when it says that "Erik should have removed the cloak", I somehow thought that he'd gone there later to check on all the bodies. I really must have been half-asleep the first time I read this!

When I read it again, it's like a different story. Now, to understand that Erik simply lied, that he was the Siren and murdered all those people... and that he himself killed Christine without realizing it... *shivers* Wow.

Long review, I know, I just thought you might be amused at my twisted misunderstandings from the first time. :)