Reviews for The Sickle of the Valar
LadyoftheShield chapter 1 . 7/26/2010
That last line was wonderful! Now you have me interested in Faramir's grandfather..
Zauberer S chapter 1 . 1/6/2004
Oh my, how much do I like your writing? Very poetic, sad (I love sad stories) and I fell in love with the line: His voice wavered uncertainly, like grass in the wind. Its no wonder you like T.S. eliot. I adore Boy!Faramir (well, I love any Faramir) and Denethor is such a fascinating character (I think I love any character from Gondor). Thanks for writing so well.
Window Girl chapter 1 . 12/1/2003
Really pretty and touching.
erunyauve chapter 1 . 11/9/2003
'Grief, he observed, had form; absence had presence.' - well-said - it seems to me that grief is most painful in those everyday moments when you see something a loved one would appreciate and remember, then, that they are gone, and their absence indeed seems tangible.

It is a habit, I suppose, and Denethor is still in the habit of having his wife by his side. A habit, unpracticed, is lost with time, and in time, Denethor will grow used to sleeping alone (perhaps). The deepest dark times will pass, as the Sickle promises, but you leave us with the sense that Denethor is not yet ready to leave his grief behind.
LasseLanta01 chapter 1 . 11/7/2003
What a lovely and sad moment in time. The character of Denethor, if one cares to think about it, is very complicated. He is shaped by all the unfortunate events in his life; he was so blessed in his children and yet so weighed upon by his duties and his losses that he appears cold and unfeeling. However I think that is far from the truth. You touched upon all these aspects in these few paragraphs a very nice job. Thank you for brining it to our attention at the "South Haven."
Lady Berenice chapter 1 . 11/6/2003
*Snif* A charming little vignette. Your deft, subtle treatment of the characters is wonderful!
LOTRlover chapter 1 . 11/6/2003
Sigh. Does Denethor distrust *everyone*? Never mind, it was a rhetorical question. Poor little Faramir.
jynkang chapter 1 . 11/5/2003
This piece was poignant, still, touching.. Faramir's remembrance of his mother was beautiful (“Sometimes...” His voice wavered uncertainly, like grass in the wind") You never fail to amaze.. and Denethor is yet uncalculable. If poetry could be prose, this is it. Absence has presence indeed.
Celandine Brandybuck chapter 1 . 11/5/2003
I enjoyed this - a nice snippet of the Steward and family.
Avara chapter 1 . 11/5/2003
wow. amazing story. such vivid imagery! wow. beautiful, and i love the ending. Amazing job!