Reviews for Ours Is Not To Reason Why
ThePeacer chapter 1 . 3/21
This isn't about the story (which I haven't read), and for that I'd like to apologize. But I'm getting tired of reviews in this section that continually miss the point that seems so obvious to me. Dear Hamlet and Lepidolite, I respect both of you as critical thinkers. But I think both of you (and many others) have taken the issue of "good vermin" way too far. Brian Jaques was a brilliant story teller, not an agenda-pusher. His stories required a world where there were clearly defined lines between good and evil, and the easiest way for him to do this was to separate it by race. Now, if we apply this to the real world, it becomes a dangerous idea with the potential of bringing about World War III. But it wasn't supposed to be applied to the real world. A story like this does not need to be haggled over for two reasons; one, because it is highly unlikely you will be able to change the opinion of the author; two, the point of posting stories on this site is to get writing critiques, not ideology critiques.

To the author of this story, that fact that two very thoughtful people have bothered to review your story actually speaks volumes about your ability level. Lepidolite in particular is a very skilled author from what I've seen. So I'm going to assume (again, I haven't read your story because I'm not really interested in the subject) that this one-shot is worth the read of anyone who feels they might gain something from the experience or is just looking for some way to pass the time. In other words, well done on attracting good reviewers, and keep up the good work!
Lepidolite Mica chapter 1 . 1/30
I'm going to have to disagree with Hamlet on this one, because I think he's severely twisted his image of the series. Redwall may profess to welcome everybeast that comes with good in their hearts, but that didn't stop them from psychologically degrading Veil until he was convinced that he couldn't be good. It didn't stop Oak Tom from hunting down almost a score of fleeing searats and murdering them for revenge (killing a retreating foe is cold-blooded, and therefore the very definition of murder), or slaying a searat for the crime of questioning the voice in the trees that could have just as easily been leading them into a trap, or stabbing Greypatch in the back with a thrown javelin while he was running away in fear. Need I remind you this is the same psycho who tied Martin's sword to the weathervane, where it ended up getting stolen by a bunch of birds, because we don't care at all about keeping our relics safe.

For that matter, let's discuss Matthias's name for that sword. "Ratdeath"? Does that sound like a name intended to usher in peace and ward off evil, so all good creatures can live in harmony? No, that sounds like a eugenics movement. I swear, if you replaced "goodbeasts" and "vermin" with relevant races, most of the "great speeches" against vermin would read like a copy of Mein Kampf. Actually, that would make a fun fanfiction...

The point is, the world is not this pretty, lovey-dovey place where "everyone with good in their hearts can be accepted." You know what happens when you only return good to those that are good to you? We get a right hellhole of a planet. I believe the Bible's description of that kind of mentality is "Pharisee", by the way. Scripture's call is to love ALL, regardless of what they've done: Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not BRAG, is not ARROGANT, does not act unbecomingly; it does not SEEK ITS OWN, is not PROVOKED, DOES NOT TAKE INTO ACCOUNT A WRONG SUFFERED, does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, ENDURES ALL THINGS.

And then we see Redwallers and Long-Patrolbeasts hunting down and murdering anybeast that wrongs them, executing the Flitchaye in a gas chamber, driving the Painted Ones out of their native habitat to die on the Western Plains (these are tree rats, guys), killing an old, partially insane hedgehog apiarist for possessing a ruby that was "stolen" from Redwall EVEN AFTER GONFF STOLE IT FOR REDWALL IN THE FIRST PLACE, and slaughtering an entire community of birds for the crimes of its leader (again, these crimes were an attempt to recover the gems Gonff had stolen) in a move very similar to the Russian invasion of Berlin at the end of WWII. But sure, go on believing that Redwall is irreprehensible. Go on claiming your doors are always open, and then slamming them shut when you don't like the beast on the other side. Keep on praying in the public places, and saying "What a good beast am I!" You have your reward in full.

I really got carried away there. Wow. Sorry. I feel kinda strongly about this kind of stuff, and having a Christian background coupled with a healthy dose of Rise Against and Bad Religion, I don't react well when I see Scripture conjured up out of context to defend unscriptural viewpoints. This story is an amazing look at the other side of the spectrum, the beasts who've pulled on their bootstraps until they broke. (Incidentally, check out "Disparity By Design", by Rise Against; it's pretty much my go-to song when this topic crops up in the Redwallverse.) I absolutely love it, and I eagerly await more.
Elleth of Mossflower chapter 1 . 7/18/2015
Great story! The premise is good, and I really liked Scartail and his family.

Thanks for writing this. :)
Hamlet chapter 1 . 4/26/2014
Dear Amberdulen,
I know it's been a while since you have written this story, however, I write this review for the rest of those who continue to read it.
The whole storyline that 'vermin really aren't bad' has produced some interesting fanfiction stories through the years. This one presents an idea that vermin are really good on the inside and that the woodlanders are the bad ones. You completely ignore the ending of every Redwall book; Brian Jacques always concludes, "Redwall's doors are always open to anybeast with a good heart." We see examples of this in Salamandastron, Redwall, The Bellmaker, and even in the ending of Triss. Time and again, the Redwallers accept vermin into their Abbey, even if they know that the vermin will just turn around and betray them. The Redwallers truly do love their enemies.
But the vermin do not. Brian Jacques knew what he was doing when he drew the distinct line in the sand between the bobbies and baddies. He looked at our world and saw that despite superficial appearances, there really are good people and bad people. But, I say, who is good, and who is bad? Where do we learn how to distinguish the genuine from the deceit?
The Bible.
God Himself tells us the truth, "For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God." Everyone is bad, and only God is good. We are vermin, stinking, filthy, cursed vermin. We want to get into the Abbey (Heaven) by our own means; we don't want to do it the Redwaller's way because we can't. We are inherently evil, and we cannot enter the Abbey with a good heart. We need a new heart. Only then can we enter Redwall. "For God so loved the world, that He gave us His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life." "If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!" That's how we get into Heaven.
Our world is confusing enough as it is. These stories that blur the lines between right and wrong only cause others to be led astray. People read a story like this and say, "Gee, that was depressing. Now I can't read a Redwall book the same way again." Why are you doing that to them? Tell the Good News; tell them that they can enter into Redwall if they get a new heart! Tell them where they can get it and how!
This story sets up an idyllic scene that could never occur in Redwall and never occurs in our world.
Roninarnia chapter 1 . 10/13/2013
This was really good and thought provoking!
Brigg chapter 1 . 8/2/2012
Hi there,

Being that this was published over ten years ago, I'm supposing you're not on the site much or at all anymore, but I felt compelled to leave a review here.

This was beautiful. I may be a bit biased, because I adore rats. I keep them as pets, and I think they are without a doubt the most loving, endearing, intelligent, friendly, and amazing little animals I have ever had the pleasure to be around. My favorite Redwall characters were always Blaggut, Romsca, Flinky, Killconey, Grubbage, and others like them. I feel that while Mr. Jacques' black and white system in his works isn't necessarily a bad thing, it is always wonderful to see characters who are neither good nor bad, but somewhere in the middle, just like people.

This story was wonderful. It drew a very realistic picture of an ordinary searat. It makes perfect sense to me that the Redwall books are written through a sort of filter that puts them in the perspective of a 'goodbeast' while hiding the real lives and motives of the bad guys. Some of the evil beasts were certainly evil. Those who enslave, torture, beat and bully other creatures are certainly bad through and through. But I have a hard time believing that every crewbeast and every horde member is pure evil.

Your writing was spot on. It never sounded contrived, preachy, or forced. The story was well paced and logical. It wasn't too long, but delved far enough in to feel complete. The dialogue was good; I especially liked his little pup's greetings to him. All in all it felt well-rounded, and invoked definite emotion in the reader.

Hoping you'll still see this review at some point.

Organ Man chapter 1 . 2/26/2011
Grey characters are my favorite in the Redwall series. Love this story.
MetallicTaste chapter 1 . 10/2/2010
Amazing! Well written.
Tuli-Susi chapter 1 . 5/19/2010
VERY GOOD! It's always interesting to see things from the other's perspective. And I love how you incorporated that line into the fic, ending with it too. Had a good impact.
All American Autor chapter 1 . 8/22/2009
Boohoo boohoo, why dont the woddlanders understand!
Auua Ytjoml chapter 1 . 6/5/2009
I totally agree. It's the sociaty that makes the bad.
Awsam chapter 1 . 12/8/2008
I love it, that was cool, hearing from the "vermin" side of the story. I now kinda feel bad for 'em, well the ones like him anyways. the totally evil vermins I hate. This is so going in my faves.

Shiftember chapter 1 . 12/4/2008
That was awseome. One of the best stories i have read.
Lionhearted Girl chapter 1 . 4/5/2008
It's not often you hear the vermin's side of the story. :D Great job, btw I added it to my favorites!
CalliopeMused chapter 1 . 9/25/2007
I was just discussing the black/ / white, good/ /bad divide with another fan of these books. This is what we were trying to say.

I love this story, and it's hard to place exact reasons why. The ending is just right, the middle is wonderful, the beginning is perfect- I try for constructive criticism, but there isn't a thing here to criticize.