Reviews for Ours Is Not To Reason Why
Hamlet chapter 1 . 4/26/2014
Dear Amberdulen,
I know it's been a while since you have written this story, however, I write this review for the rest of those who continue to read it.
The whole storyline that 'vermin really aren't bad' has produced some interesting fanfiction stories through the years. This one presents an idea that vermin are really good on the inside and that the woodlanders are the bad ones. You completely ignore the ending of every Redwall book; Brian Jacques always concludes, "Redwall's doors are always open to anybeast with a good heart." We see examples of this in Salamandastron, Redwall, The Bellmaker, and even in the ending of Triss. Time and again, the Redwallers accept vermin into their Abbey, even if they know that the vermin will just turn around and betray them. The Redwallers truly do love their enemies.
But the vermin do not. Brian Jacques knew what he was doing when he drew the distinct line in the sand between the bobbies and baddies. He looked at our world and saw that despite superficial appearances, there really are good people and bad people. But, I say, who is good, and who is bad? Where do we learn how to distinguish the genuine from the deceit?
The Bible.
God Himself tells us the truth, "For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God." Everyone is bad, and only God is good. We are vermin, stinking, filthy, cursed vermin. We want to get into the Abbey (Heaven) by our own means; we don't want to do it the Redwaller's way because we can't. We are inherently evil, and we cannot enter the Abbey with a good heart. We need a new heart. Only then can we enter Redwall. "For God so loved the world, that He gave us His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life." "If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!" That's how we get into Heaven.
Our world is confusing enough as it is. These stories that blur the lines between right and wrong only cause others to be led astray. People read a story like this and say, "Gee, that was depressing. Now I can't read a Redwall book the same way again." Why are you doing that to them? Tell the Good News; tell them that they can enter into Redwall if they get a new heart! Tell them where they can get it and how!
This story sets up an idyllic scene that could never occur in Redwall and never occurs in our world.
Sincerely,
Hamlet
Roninarnia chapter 1 . 10/13/2013
This was really good and thought provoking!
Brigg chapter 1 . 8/2/2012
Hi there,

Being that this was published over ten years ago, I'm supposing you're not on the site much or at all anymore, but I felt compelled to leave a review here.

This was beautiful. I may be a bit biased, because I adore rats. I keep them as pets, and I think they are without a doubt the most loving, endearing, intelligent, friendly, and amazing little animals I have ever had the pleasure to be around. My favorite Redwall characters were always Blaggut, Romsca, Flinky, Killconey, Grubbage, and others like them. I feel that while Mr. Jacques' black and white system in his works isn't necessarily a bad thing, it is always wonderful to see characters who are neither good nor bad, but somewhere in the middle, just like people.

This story was wonderful. It drew a very realistic picture of an ordinary searat. It makes perfect sense to me that the Redwall books are written through a sort of filter that puts them in the perspective of a 'goodbeast' while hiding the real lives and motives of the bad guys. Some of the evil beasts were certainly evil. Those who enslave, torture, beat and bully other creatures are certainly bad through and through. But I have a hard time believing that every crewbeast and every horde member is pure evil.

Your writing was spot on. It never sounded contrived, preachy, or forced. The story was well paced and logical. It wasn't too long, but delved far enough in to feel complete. The dialogue was good; I especially liked his little pup's greetings to him. All in all it felt well-rounded, and invoked definite emotion in the reader.

Hoping you'll still see this review at some point.

-Brigg
Organ Man chapter 1 . 2/26/2011
Grey characters are my favorite in the Redwall series. Love this story.
MetallicTaste chapter 1 . 10/2/2010
Amazing! Well written.
Tuli-Susi chapter 1 . 5/19/2010
VERY GOOD! It's always interesting to see things from the other's perspective. And I love how you incorporated that line into the fic, ending with it too. Had a good impact.
All American Autor chapter 1 . 8/22/2009
Boohoo boohoo, why dont the woddlanders understand!
Auua Ytjoml chapter 1 . 6/5/2009
I totally agree. It's the sociaty that makes the bad.
Mariel of Fantasy chapter 1 . 12/8/2008
I love it, that was cool, hearing from the "vermin" side of the story. I now kinda feel bad for 'em, well the ones like him anyways. the totally evil vermins I hate. This is so going in my faves.

~Mariel
Shiftember chapter 1 . 12/4/2008
That was awseome. One of the best stories i have read.
Lionhearted Girl chapter 1 . 4/5/2008
It's not often you hear the vermin's side of the story. :D Great job, btw I added it to my favorites!
CalliopeMused chapter 1 . 9/25/2007
I was just discussing the black/ / white, good/ /bad divide with another fan of these books. This is what we were trying to say.

I love this story, and it's hard to place exact reasons why. The ending is just right, the middle is wonderful, the beginning is perfect- I try for constructive criticism, but there isn't a thing here to criticize.
Ladyofthebookworms chapter 1 . 1/19/2007
Yes, give them more demension then just killin' an' slayin'!
Kosuke chapter 1 . 12/12/2006
Very nice perspective. Could even make Brian Jacques a run for his money.
Yemi Hikari chapter 1 . 8/13/2006
I am impressed. I've seen other 'vermian arn't so bad stories', but this one is unique.