Reviews for The Strength of the Soul
Laura chapter 2 . 11/12/2003
great story! I love it! update this as quickly as posible!
Laura chapter 2 . 11/12/2003
great story! I love it! update this as quickly as posible!
Erina-chan chapter 2 . 11/12/2003
My newest fic interpretation of the League seems very silly now...

You may not have surprised anyone with the ending, but think of the complaints you would have got if it *had* been May (silly Gaki people).

"The light was too harsh, Ash noted, turning his head away and seeking comfort in the darkness once again." I am really liking that line! All symbolic and... yeah! -.-

I understand how the rape scene would have been hard to write, but it wasn't hard to read because you did it perfectly.

So, those are my comments. No criticism as usual! Poor As with no hope... I... I have to go and read something fluffy between now and the next installment (or maybe eat chocolate. Yeah, chocolate!).
goneaway1999 chapter 2 . 11/12/2003
Not fooled, but you certainly wrote it very well indeed, and the scene in question was written well too - it wasn't too gratuitous nor too vague - you got it just right, imo. Um. can't think of much else to say except you're proving more and more that you can handle both drama and fluff with more talent than a lot of authors out there, and you should be proud of yourself for that. *hugs*

~Kaz

x
cultnirvana chapter 2 . 11/12/2003
Ah, what to say, what to say. You've completely floored me with that chapter that I am genuinely lost for words!

I think if you had any lingering doubts about your ability in writing drama, they have been entirely eradicated by this amazing piece of work.

The characterisation and atmosphere were perfect. The juxtapostion of Ash's first feelings of something resembling happiness in a long time with Misty's pure anguish...masterstroke. You held the rape scene to just the right point, dealing with it expertly in an emotional rather than physical manner, which just puts it miles ahead of numerous attempts out there to deal with such a topic. And I doubt any other readers will think anything different.

All-in-all, I'd say this is the most rewarding chapter you have ever written. All the exhaustion and anguish was well-worth it.

I can't actually think of anything else to say. That says something 'cause I'm normally such a motormouth. I really can't wait to see how you go from here. How can they get out of this situation? Are they going to be on the run? How will Ash's subversion and rebellion affect his mother?

Loads of love, Karen.
A. LaRosa chapter 2 . 11/11/2003
I usually don't use huge words or anything too much to describe a fic but... that was beautiful, magnificent, breathtaking, awe-inspiring, and nothing wasn't untastefully done. I loved the end, cause ever since the part with Misty saying she wasn't going to let them kill Ash, I was hoping for her to come to his rescue when the man was going after him. Awesome, and the rape scence wasn't bad, it did fit. It showed that she was a slave to them, and she wanted out. But, how did she get in there? Hey, and I saw you on the Retroboard... I said "hi" and then some conversation came out and I didn't know if you replied or not. But, reading this may help me write another Pokemon fic. After all, AAML is one of the strongest couplings. Good Job and keep up the good work! Loving it!

-Alicia

a.k.a

x Angel of the Night x
Metal Mewtwo chapter 1 . 11/11/2003
For someone who's so used to writing humor fics, you sure did a hell of a job starting this one. This is the kind of work I strive for, but this was just above and beyond anything I could ever hope to accomplish. Absolutely fantastic. There's simply no other way to describe it. I can sense you're going for something truly great here, and you'll always have my "never wavering support."
Gryphon Turboclaw chapter 1 . 11/10/2003
Most interesting, indeed...I really like the idea of Ash finding out about (and eventually having to fight) a Luciferian conspiracy. Could that blue-eyed woman be the May from Advanced Generation, and if she is, will she be able to carry out her mission...or will it be her conscience, Ash, or something else that stops her in time(if at all)?
Kayla chapter 1 . 11/8/2003
The story is good!, I want more, more and more! lol. Keep writing, you're good at this!
Cyberwraith9 chapter 1 . 11/8/2003
Honored for the mention, but more importantly, I'm duly impressed by the fic's potential. You've got a regular action/adventure/thriller/angst/drama here on your hands. Not many authors can completely switch gears on a whim like that. Kudos and good hunting.
cultnirvana chapter 1 . 11/8/2003
Didn't I tell you you could do it? Now you have more people's opinions to reassure yourself how well you can tackle such a difficult storyline!

You're brill at the dark, angsty stuff! I knew you would be great! Your ability, style and just about everything just shows how well-read you are, and how much you've picked up from those classics. God, I'd have had a heart attack if I could've written something so perfectly when I started (I was 17 too when I published my first fic).

You have added just the perfect amount of cynicism, angst, and hints of what is too come.

I really can't wait to see more, Bri! I think this could be your best fic yet, though that would be hard next to the others, hehe.

Love ya loads, Karen (who'll get round to emailing you tomorrow morning, well, morning in the UK. My boyfriend has ordered me to watch anime for the rest of the night _;)
A. LaRosa chapter 1 . 11/8/2003
Hey, awesome fic! I love this, it's so suspenseful...you need to continue this, no matter what anyone says..._

Au Revoir,

-A
Erina-chan chapter 1 . 11/8/2003
*agog* Okay, let's work through this.

I absolutely adore the prologuey bit where it describes him receiving the 'honour' of Master. It's such a cliche scene usually, but... I can't even describe how you did it (and that's not good for someone who has an technique analysis exam approaching)!

Right, Ash. You keep just the right amount of Ashyness in your cynical pawn. That's a problem most people run in to during Pokemon drama fics (me, I just shy away from it, look at Disbound -.-).

I always picture the League as corrupt! You're right, it *is* too shiny and wonderful. AND power corrupts after all *nods sagely*.

Tense atmosphere was maintained throughout (if this were English class, I'd use words like semantic, woo, I'm not a total lost cause for my exam then).

Wail! Misty! Pikachu! Brock!

(kicks dust on her own very old scene from A Piece of My Heart which resembles your A/M parting scene).

Oh intrigue! Torn paper! Shadowy figures! And perhaps misleading cerulean blue-ness? Or nay?

Anyway, I'm going to sit here and wait for the next installment. And I've only brought two packets of crisps so you'd better hurry!

*showers petals and confetti on you and cultnirvana*
goneaway1999 chapter 1 . 11/8/2003
Ehe, I only came online to check my blog and I see this sitting in my inbox! Neek!

So I read it and I'm loving it. The way you've written Ash's feelings is really intriguing - I think this is the first fic I've read where he despises Pokémon Mastery [is that a word?] and he doesn't run off the rails and saws people's heads off x.X

Um. I really suck at reviews. Needless to say I await the next part with baited breath, because I'm ever-so-intrigued now and this is going straight on my favourites list because I'm a dark/drama-fic addict. ;

I hug you for your writing!

~Kaz

x
I Love Lance-a-Lot chapter 1 . 11/7/2003
Wow, this is really sad. Pikachu gone, Misty shot to death, and Brock suicidal. Poor Ash. I think you should change the genre from drama to angst. This is a really good fic, it got the right emotion in. (it got the right emotion into a 12 year old. Now that's strange. Then again, I used to cry during the Poke'mon movie when ash died... oh well) Why was Misty shot to death? Wear's pikachu? This needs to be updated! I need to read more so bad!
135 | « Prev Page 1 .. 6 7 8 9