Reviews for A Small and Passing Thing
emmerlii chapter 7 . 1/1/2010
Good chapter!

Just one thing, you spelt wagon wrong, there is only one "g" in it.

xx emmerlii
emmerlii chapter 4 . 12/31/2009
This is a great story!

I look forward to reading more!

xx emmerlii
Laurelinde chapter 8 . 7/28/2006
Hi! Well, this is the first of your stories that I've reviewed, but not the first I've read... I was over on Stories of Arda, and imagine my happiness when I found the unfinished finished here on I couldn't believe I hadn't found you in all my searching, but now I'm glad, as you've provided many hours of great enjoyment this summer holiday. It's a good thing I didn't find you while still in the middle of my exams! Honestly though, your writing really is amazing and I feel so lucky to be able to read it here, and to be able to review too - it's like being able to ring up your favourite author and tell them how much you admire their work.

It was the final little bit of this chapter which pushed me to sort myself out and leave a proper review. Frodo seemed to say exactly what I was thinking - after Lobelia had given him Bag End, and he realizes that the Troubles have brought about some small good after all - it's a beautiful moment. Your Lobelia makes me both laugh and cry by turns, and I'm so glad she got this extra bit of story, after the vague hints of her deeds in 'The Rebel'. It's always been a favoruite moment of mine when she comes out and all the hobbits cheer. I love the way, in all your stories, good comes about in the middle of bad - like if Rosie hadn't been taken by the ruffians, she might never have married Leotred.

Your Merry and Pippin, of course, are simply a pleasure to read, and I do love the interaction between them, though of course the Thain-alone stories are also great in the way the characters and their plots weave together and apart. Ferdi in particular is fantastic - to what extent is he your own creation? I am afraid I don't know Tolkien's work well enough to recognise more minor characters from the appendices etc., although I know enough to appreciate the great effort you have put into canon accuracy.

Overall, I just wanted to thank you for giving us your stories, in all their glory - I can only imagine the hours of work contained here, and that you give them freely for our pleasure and your own... thank you. You have a great gift.
SouthernChoChang chapter 67 . 7/23/2006
wow that was the best story ive read everybody else concentrates on the other characters never the shire pretty much i loved it and have added it to my favourites thank-you for such a great story

eor
Endaewen chapter 2 . 9/23/2005
Laughing at the thought of Men, twice the size of hobbits being intimidated by Lobelia.

I wonder what Bilbo's reaction to seeing her this way would have been. He didn't seem to think much of her, before. LOL
Larner chapter 66 . 10/23/2004
I am truly loving this story, and hope you don't mind my borrowing just a bit in my own.
Ayries chapter 65 . 10/16/2004
I've the sad feeling the end is near... but Butterbur won't forget again, or will he? Oh no...
Ayries chapter 64 . 10/11/2004
A pleasure to read. Far too few reviews for such a great story.
Kellie chapter 64 . 10/5/2004
Oh my... this chapter is so bittersweet. Lovely and sad at the same time.
Larner chapter 63 . 9/28/2004
I am highly intrigued by this story, find it well written and within book canon sufficient to keep my interest, and want to see how it plays out.

Lovely story.
Blaise chapter 56 . 6/14/2004
Just in case you're in need of some motivating (iced tea in this weather, please), I thought I'd say how much I enjoyed these past few chapters. The verbal tennis match between Freddy and Frodo was particularly enjoyable to read and well-thought-out. I also liked seeing how Frodo managed his pretense of good health and how Sam could be tricked. Nicely done and keep it up!
Clever Hobbit chapter 55 . 5/22/2004
Poor Frodo. It sounds so difficult, especially under the watchful eyes of Freddy and Sam...
Xena chapter 51 . 4/15/2004
I really liked the beginning, it explained the routine at Bag End very well, it had a comfortable feeling to it. My favorite part of the chapter was Sam's talk to Tom, it really showed just how wise Sam is and explains why he abruptly asked Rosie to marry him. I was glad to see Tom jump up to do it right then! It was interesting to see how Paladin worked it that Rudi would marry Pimpernel, and his reasoning behind it still makes me angry! Goodness, how did anyone manage to not vote for Will Whitfoot, that hilarious! I hope Freddy will be alright, I'm sure Sam and Rosie will take care of him. Wonderful chapter, I loved it!
Xena chapter 50 . 4/10/2004
This was a nice, pleasant pause from the main story, I always enjoy these. It's too bad Sam and Pippin weren't able to see his failing health, or at least they didn't want to see, which I completely understand. I had forgotten Saruman's words, but I think Elanor is right. I must say, I'm glad to hear there's more chapters left! Again, I really enjoyed this pause, it fit very nicely in the story!
Xena chapter 49 . 4/8/2004
Aww, I feel so happy! The image of the wedding and the party after were wonderful, I felt like I was there! I think my favorite image was Pippin on Socks, with Rosie in front of him, that was great! Poor Frodo though! I liked the mention of Frodo being somber as he read that particular part, it was a nice touch. I hope his being tired after dancing is nothing to be alarmed about, and good old Mistress Cotton! The end was beautiful, Sam and Rosie going on a picnic, starting the first of many days together. Wonderful, I loved this!