Reviews for The Art of Ballet
The13thVasilisa chapter 1 . 4/27/2013
Oh, gosh, you are so right about liking the hurt. You describe a dancer's thoughts so perfectly...
Ballet Obsessed chapter 4 . 9/11/2010
Wow... phenomenal, beautiful, amazing writing! I'm absolutely captured by it! I love the romantic quality it all has - as well as the bits of humor throughout. XD

(My favorite quote is from either chpt 2 or 3: "True Love..." "Only has 8 little letters" "so does bullshit.")

As you probably guessed from my user name - I do ballet. And I have to agree with you on the fact that Center Stage is the MOST AMAZING ballet movie ever! I'm completely obsessed with it.

Is your main character Odette in their Swan Lake piece? I know you said she had a solo - just wasn't sure which solo it was.
hailey chapter 4 . 10/29/2009
I like the chapters so far, wish I hadn't finished them so fast. keep writing!
Arian3 chapter 4 . 3/16/2006
I like the story. Don't worry about what others have to say. If you're having fun writing it, that's what's important. I notice the spelling errors but that's only because my ballet teacher in college made us take written tests and took off points for spelling errors. (Evil. Truly evil.) For me they don't detract from the story. Anyway, it's a good story and I look forward to more. It seems to me that reviews should be focused on the story, not the author's notes. That's just me though. I can't wait for more.

Arian
N.Sidney chapter 3 . 3/2/2006
Iknow that I reviewed the newest chapter weeks ago so why should I bother and review for an older chapter? Well...Ill tell you why! Latelly I have been really depressed about ballet because I feel like its not getting anywhere! I need this story because it encourages me!

Frankly you proabably dont care, but I am on my knees and begging for an update! I dont beg easily but I really need this right now! I really dont care if it has a plot or not sometimes stories that are pointless in sense of conflict are still well written and actually I think you have a pretty good plot right there! Dont be annoyed by my apsolute whinny review...but youre a great writter and I dont want you to stop writting this story!

-Artemis in a desperate attempt to cure her depression/desperado!

p.s. sorry if I sound needy!
N.Sidney chapter 4 . 6/16/2005
Hello!

All I have to say is that I love your idea for this fiction and your writting style! I dont even notice if you make a mistake on the french. Please review and ignore people who write bad reviews because Ill always be a fan of this story!
Camouflage chapter 3 . 2/18/2005
I really do like this. Even people that aren't, like, really hardcore dancers can relate. (Yes, that is me.)
glad2hearit chapter 4 . 12/28/2004
I liked your story but I would have liked to more about Cooper as well as all the other characters in Center Stage. Well written.
x3Tinkerbell07 chapter 4 . 12/27/2004
l must say that i like your writing style not matter what others say...please keep writing and don't give these sour people the satisfaction of getting the best of you...i've been waiting for your updates and just gave up and then stumbled upon it...update soon!
Pointe-Addict chapter 1 . 10/15/2004
This is really, really good!
Krisa612 chapter 3 . 9/29/2004
Well. First of all, you're writing style is nice. I always like to establish that- not too many grammar mistakes, a generally good flow of words, all that good stuff. That's really crucial, so good job. Second: your concept of the life of a dancer seems decent, which is always good in a story about dancing. However, I have to agree with the reviewer who asked about your story being a "Mary Sue." I can't see that your main character is anyone we really meet in the movie, and the fact that the story centers around her is a little indicative of a possible "Mary Sue." The lack of apparent plot points in that direction as well. Might want to work on that. Now, to address some of the comments you made:

While the feelings induced by dancing may be more important to you than the spelling (and I completely agree), keep in mind that you're writing. And not only are you writing, but you're asking other people to read it. (I realize that reading it is a voluntary action, but by posting it, you're indicating that you expect it to be read.) So don't be surprised if people would rather have correct spelling. It's just polite.

Second: details. I know what you mean about being "a details kind of person". Details are lovely and they enrich a story and everything, and I love them dearly. However, when you go into how your alarm clock sounds like "the screams of the damned" and start relating it to Dante and angels and demons and "scorching hands and dagger nails" I think you've gone a bit far. It sounds to me like you just went on a little bit of a word-spree (which is a term I've just coined especially for the moment). I do that, too, all the time- the differene being that I generally don't inflict my little flings on others. Words are fun and using them poetically is a lovely thing, but sometimes it just goes a little far. This may be one of those cases.

Also, I think you've got your definition of "romanticist" a little messed up. A romanticist writer (or painter or philosopher or anything else) is someone who lived and worked during the romanticist period, which is commonly accepted as having occured during the late eighteenth century and the first half of the nineteenth century. So I'm going to assume you're not one of them. That makes you a "romantic" writer. Not in that you write romance, but in that you allow the romantic values/ideals/ideas to influence your writer. The basic connection is that there are romantic tendencies innate in human beings- during the romanticist period, a large portion of society glorified that aspect of themselves. Romantics, no longer a majority movement, continue to glorify it. I think that would be more appropriate for you. Also, I don't think the idea that romanticists (or romantics) focused "more on how something was written rather than what it meant". Not quite. I'm not going to go into a diatribe about romanticist principles, but that definitely wasn't it. They most definitely had meaning in their works; they didn't just go around having love affairs with words like you seem to be insinuating.

Lastly, your statement on "psychological details" doesn't quite follow. Unnecessary flourishes (called rococo in art...it's like beyond baroque, if you're not familiar with art history) are quite different from psychological details. Also, the kind of details you have in this story are anything but psychological. They're descriptive, definitely, but I wouldn't call them psychological. So I don't think you want to be discouraging people from reading your story because of that.

So. Bottom line: good start, some problems, but there is hope. A suggestion: try planning out your plot ahead of time. Once you have a good, strong plotline established, you can go off on some flourish-y tangents and still be okay, because your readers will be hooked enough on the plot that they'll be able to tolerate it. However, if you confuse them with your lack of plot and then go all rococo on them, they get a little upset and leave angry and not-so-complimentary reviews. Hopefully you understand that I don't mean this to be either of those, but just my honest opinion from one writer and dancer to another. Good luck, and I'll be looking forward to see what you do with this next!
Johnnycakesdepp chapter 3 . 7/27/2004
I like this fic! And Eva is my favorite character cause I love Zoe Saldana but anyways good story.
queenofdiamonds1 chapter 1 . 5/12/2004
Update soon!
Jinx-co chapter 3 . 4/12/2004
I like it. I'm a dancer (i HATE ballet though). I'm not on pointe but i do know the feeling of being sore (thank you jazz class, not).
Well I hope you continue...
Meg
blond1wsmelborp chapter 3 . 3/27/2004
i like the fic... but is it a mary sue? that may not be such a good idea, when one does a mary sue, they enthrall themselves... but no one else. but keep going!