Reviews for The Presence of Horses
icecreamlova chapter 1 . 10/12/2011
This is a *very* belated review, considering I found this ages ago, loved it to pieces, and reread this a gazillion times since. It's just that I couldn't quite think of a way to properly convey how amazing it was. It's very different from your more dialogue-heavy other fics, and I loved it.

I love how the beginning and end are bookended essentially by Scott's relationship with other people, and how it changes from his perception of their pity, to his realization of just what their concern means. Funnily enough, though, his antagonism with Wolverine hasn't faded in the least... It really fits with his understanding in the end that these are the people who are worth living for.

Scott's voice is so powerful. He speaks normally, and he isn't a huge presence in the movies so it can generally get subdued in fanfiction, but not in your stories and particularly not here. The use of horses to frame the story was a nice touch, it certainly brought out a side of Scott I never considered. I know nothing about horses, but his descriptions of them certainly, though probably mistakingly, made me feel like I could make valid comparisons between them, comic book characters, and their emotions.

This was a gorgeous rendition of someone's journey through grief, and it was so touching it honestly made me cry. Thank you for writing it.
LJLL chapter 1 . 7/6/2011
That story was fucking beautiful. I absolutely love how you matched up the thing about riding horses with Scott's grief. It was absolutely, beautifully heartbreaking.
Pesti chapter 1 . 6/24/2011
Sad, but so good.
Saturnian Sorceress chapter 1 . 6/7/2011
This was beautiful and extremely creative. The way you portrayed Scott's grief, and how he was coping, was so emotionally powerful. Watching his transformation through the cadances of the horses hooves was a great touch that worked really well!

Nice work! :)
4everJOTT chapter 1 . 12/28/2009
Aww... beautiful! *tears* JOTT4EVER!

Your awesome!
Innocent Lamb chapter 1 . 12/20/2009
Wow. I'm not going to pretend I'm a big Scott fan, cause I'm just not, so I don't really have any idea what lead me to click on this story when I had specifically typed "Jean" into the search box. Maybe it was the horses - that I went riding up the coast with my Mum a few days ago. XD Though, I honestly didn't even glimpse the title before I started reading. Well, whatever it was that drove me to this fanfic, I'm really glad I chose to read this. It was an incredibly moving read, by what seems to be an incredibly talented author. The hoof-beats becoming words was an amazing idea. But one thing I didn't understand was why it was rated "R for language". I do not recall reading anything sexual, or anything that could be interpretted that way, not any cuss words. But, that was your choice, and what do I know, really? So, I'm not gonna flame you for that piece of caution.

Really good story, congratulations, I hope to be reading your work on bound paper one day.

Innocent Lamb (Rachel)
JNRWJ96 chapter 1 . 9/16/2009
I LOVE THIS I CRIED AND I LOVE HORSES!
gem1990 chapter 1 . 8/15/2008
Wow. How sad but it gave hope. A wonderful combo. Great job.
inkvoices chapter 1 . 2/9/2008
You know, some people can only write in one style or genre, and because you write humour so perfectly I never thought about you writing anything else.

I don't know much about horse and, thankfully, I don't know too much about grief, but I still think this is a lovely story, not because I've read your other fics and loved them, so must love this one as well, but because the tone of this one fic is beautifully sad and so very Scott.
TwoCentsForFree chapter 1 . 12/19/2007
Impressive. I kinda like how it was presented thru Scott's relationship with the horse. Very creative.

The best part, though, was:

That was the day the canter’s 1-2-3-1-2-3 became “She-chose-you-she-chose-you,” and, eventually, “Go-to-hell-Wol-ver-ine.”

Incredible! :0)
FenixR chapter 1 . 6/4/2007
That was beautiful. You made me cry. Thanks.
Genne chapter 1 . 4/10/2007
I never, EVER would have thought of something so simple but in depth. It was really beautiful... at times your heart would just break, especially at the sudden shifts of emotion. Just the ability to feel so much and yet not wanting to feel anything atr the same time was ..wow. to be brief:you did MARVELous!
Writingcritter chapter 1 . 9/24/2006
Aw...That's so sweet.

Pat yourself on the back. Your a good writer. I loved it.
theshadowcat chapter 1 . 9/18/2006
That was very sad and extremely well writen.
FBI Bones chapter 1 . 7/21/2006
I love how you've brought the rhythm of the horses into the grief, it works so well and I adore horses, I find them so much easier to be around than people, they just seem like they understand you better than humans at times even if that does sound a little odd.

I really like fiks where Scott is dealing with the loss of Jean (does that make me a sadist?) and this is one of my favs! well done!

Red