Reviews for What All Rulers Want
corriente chapter 22 . 6/14/2013
Whaaat, it's over? It can't be...
This was the best fanfiction I've read. Like ever. Complicated, twisted, engaging plot. I really, really, really didn't expect the final outcome.
Amazing characterization - I don't even know how to start from there. Let's start with Margolotta, because I'm a huge fan of her, and she was just brilliant here. Her smoking, her habits, her observations, and THE riddle. And her relationship with Lavinia, whom I didn't really like, but that was predictable. I was quite impressed, nevertheless, when she lied to Vetinari. It was a really good twist, I almost believed it (but, well, the case with me is, I believe everything written in the story).
And then - Vetinari. And Isabella. They are such complicated creatures. Vetinari, with his composure, coldness, bitterness and yet SOMETHING hidden deep inside of him, the place where, the thing that changes his attitude towards Isabella.
I really admire the thing you did with here - creating a deep, complicated character and throwing it into fanfiction is not easy, and you did it wonderfully!

Well, I've just checked and it's been NINE years since this wonderful story was published... And yet I regret I haven't read it earlier. Simply.
Falero lero lero chapter 22 . 6/5/2013
I like you and your story.
tc chapter 22 . 12/10/2009
great story, very engaging and all characters true to expectation. No inconguencies, and all self-consistant, even the mirror thingy, and yes, your hints were definitely there, though subtle. (The one about Isabella looking confusedly at her left-handedness was the only hint that was not so subtle, but it wasn't glaring. ) Thank you so much for the journey.
The Dragon Mage chapter 22 . 6/21/2009
Yet again, you have written the kind of fanfiction so good i can't even describe it to my friends properly. A mystery totally Discworld in quality; when Klieg told Vetinari she was his daughter i basically stared at the computer screen for five minutes saying "bugger" over and over, even if it didn't turn out to be true. This story has plot of a kind i wish i could see in published novels; thank you thank you thank you i shall read it again when i can.

p.s. Your Vetinari is so good that i've used the Seamstress series to introduce him to a friend, in the hope she'll read the actual books. You are awesome.
Freyalyn chapter 22 . 5/11/2009
A perfectly professional story. Beautifully written, wonderfully characterised. I never thought I was reading something that wasn't written by Pterry, it is so perfectly in his universe.

Thank you.
AngusH chapter 22 . 9/22/2007
I read quite a lot of stories on many of them are good, some are very good. Occasionally I read a story such as this, which rises above almost everything else. If there were ratings I would rate it 10 out of 10.

The story is truly remarkable, Isabella is an original character with depth, character, a believable history and who is most definitely not a mary-sue.

Vetinari is most brilliantly written and I particularly liked the way that you had the two different versions of him that Isabella compared.

A brilliant work and one that I would buy as a book (if it were not fanfiction).

I understand that you have retired from writing fanfiction and but I hope that you continue to write and wish you well in future work.

Thank you.
Big Cat chapter 22 . 12/19/2006
This is the best story I have ever red. You inspire me, thank you for existing. Thank you for that story. Never, never stop writing. You have a rare talent, don't lose it.

Thank you again.
Airelle Vilka not signed in chapter 22 . 9/15/2006
Wonderful. I began reading this story and was well into it (and thinking, "Wow, this is exquisite") when I realized you were the author. I've read your other work, including "Say Yes," so I was delighted to see that you've delivered another gem. I loved the descriptions of Klieg and her motivations- a true predator, completely callous and charming. I wish we'd see more of Lady Margolotta, but you had a story to tell. And you told it well. :)
Lucifer's Seraphim chapter 22 . 3/30/2005
This is, quite simply, one of the best Discworld stories I have ever, ever read. I love the Patrician; he's utterly amazing and is one of my favourite characters, and you have portrayed him absolutely perfectly, something which I know I would enver be able to do. Congratulations.

I doubt I'll ever get the idea of the Senior Wrangler in that dress out of my head, alas.
Mandie chapter 1 . 3/26/2005
Well written but I just can't picture the Patrician being married.
anon chapter 22 . 12/11/2004
vetinari deserved love
Lady Vetinari chapter 22 . 9/29/2004
A really amazingly fantastic, well planned, well executed story. Your characterisation was spot on and your story fascinating. I would rank it along my favourite Pratchett stories! Thank you so much for writing it- Long Live Vetinari!
Abigail-Nicole chapter 17 . 6/30/2004
I've read this three times now, the entire thing. It's great. I wish everything in this fanbase were as good as this, because that's why I've read this so much. Every time I read this chapter I get this warm squishy feeling inside and say: "Ah."
Abigail-Nicole chapter 22 . 6/28/2004
What can I say? What can I say?

Brilliant, beautiful, lovely. Are all the poems by Pablo Neruda? I looked him up and I'm hooked. The relationships were exquisite, the romance breathtaking, the lack of fluff tantalizing and lovely, the characterization breathtaking and the clues put in place perfectly.

You are an artist and I bow before you.
Abigail-Nicole chapter 4 . 6/28/2004
This is intriguing, hilarious, and overall the best Discworld fanfiction I've read, ever. I'm guessing she's from an alternate universe, but I shall know soon, shan't I? *laughs* This is excellent. Like pie. Everyone's in character, and I don't mind Isabella being a Mary-Sue because the mystery is so intriguing.