Reviews for A Passage to The West
Eruthiawen Luin chapter 1 . 9/9/2014
Ow. My heart hurts as much as my toe when I stub it on the corner of my nightstand. In other words, I think I should go see a psychiatrist, because the feels have taken over my mind.
withywindl8 chapter 1 . 10/4/2006
Oh, how beautiful and heartbreaking. I always enjoy the idea that the Undying Lands doesn't mean that everyone will live, and that the Hobbits [and Gimli] would have to pass on sometime.

mechtild chapter 1 . 7/26/2005
This was recommended to me last week, Illyria. I had read your little hot vignette on your LJ ("The Contest"), the one you wrote for Ariel, and had loved your witty and elegant writing in it, as well as your presentation of Frodo's character, even in what was a wisp of silk and satin. My friend read that story, then found this story to rec back to me. (She loved it.) I am so glad to have read it!

Your sense for the characters is wonderful, Illyria, from Sam's to Frodo's to Galadriel's. I love that you have imagined an end for Frodo that seems as if it would fit the author's thought world and his mythology for Middle-earth. You show respect for Tolkien while letting your imagination go full throttle within that voluntarily limitation.

I love that you allowed Frodo to be vulnerable yet not hand-wringingly tormented (as he is in many weepy fanfics). I love that you let Sam's companionship - and Sam's subsequent removal of it - be the catalyst for Frodo to look at his own unacknowledged, deeper discontent with his earthly paradise there. You show Frodo as capable of uncompromisingly self-scrutiny, and of suffering over what he sees, yet able to assess; make a decision and carry it out; showing a courage that is able finally to trust and take the leap. Oh - the dream of the Colours/Music, weaving/playing the salvation history of Middle-earth was a daring use of that material but it really worked!

Thanks so much, Illyria!
kumarie chapter 1 . 6/26/2005
This is a beautiful story. It is one of the very few that have literally moved me to tears. Thank you.
blue4dogs chapter 1 . 9/21/2004
Excellent story! I'm not really into Frodo & hobbit fics but I love your story. You really touched deep inside me & I was crying my heart out. I found you thru the MPV awards & am very glad this story was nominated. Your story has truly made a deep impact on me & I thank you for it!
Singe chapter 1 . 7/11/2004
SOB! I loved it, I truly did. Thank YOU.
Ren chapter 1 . 3/9/2004
Unbelievable beautiful. I was crying while I reading this. Truly amazing. Just..wow...
Flame Tigress chapter 1 . 12/15/2003
Wow. I've never read a story quite like that one, though I've seen (and written) a number of Frodo-dies fics and Frodo-in-Eressea fics. Among them I have never seen a story in which Frodo clings possessively to life rather than being more than willing, in his inescapable suffering, to die, or at least to accept death when it comes. It is interesting, and sensible, how you tied your idea of his reluctance to part with his rediscovered joy in life, to the tendency to covetousness that the Ring implanted in him. I was also intrigued by Frodo's analysis of how Fate had shaped his life - I hadn't really thought of it in quite those terms. Your extended reference to the music of the Ainur was also an interesting touch, and in this passage, as well as in others, your word choice, whether descriptive or expressing emotion, paints a vivid picture. I also noted the reference to Galadriel's lament in FOTR at the very end. Very appropriate!
I have to say that my favorite passage was the one in which Frodo tries to persuade himself to let go of the trappings of existence and die. I loved the emphatic, desperate quality of your one-word paragraphs: "Forget. Go. Fly. Leave. Die," and then fragmented thoughts and memories interspersed with that insistent brief command, "Die." It was like poetry. Well, that's just one of those things about angst readers and writers: we find beauty in pain.
All in all, a painful, and therefore beautiful, story. Unfortunately, the masses may find it unsatisfactorily lacking in action or a direct plot, as it dwells so much on thought and emotion. Yeah, I do that too, which is why I enjoy stories written in a similar style. It caters to *my* tastes just fine. ;-)
~Flame Tigress
P.S. There were a very few grammatical or vocabulary errors - I don't remember right now what they were, and I don't know if this is a good time to pick at them, but you may want to have a proofreader.
FrodoSilverlune chapter 1 . 12/1/2003
This is so good. Wonderful writing style. I LOVED how you ended it. It is such a beautiful story. Lovely writing. You are very talented.
Arwen Baggins chapter 1 . 11/27/2003
What does Galadriel say at the end? If you're going to insert Elvish, then you should always have the courtesy to provide a translation!
Elwen chapter 1 . 11/26/2003
A deep and thoughtful exploration of age and death. Well done for tackling such a difficult and painful subject with a delicate touch.
lovethosehobbits chapter 1 . 11/25/2003
That was the most beautiful thing I have ever read. You did such a heartrendering job and I am left speechless. I only pray all of us will experience something like this when we go. tree
Trust No One chapter 1 . 11/25/2003
Incredibly sad and beutiful. Very well written too, very descriptive and you captured the essesnce of Eressea (or at least what I think it means). Thanks! TNO
Analyn 100 chapter 1 . 11/24/2003
Wow! I must say that this is a whole new way of looking at Frodo's death! That part about Frodo's dream about the Song reminded me about a song in the movie "Prince of Egypt" perhaps you've heard it, it went like this, "A simple thread in a tapesty, though its color brightly shines, can never see its purpose in the pattern of a grand design". Purely brilliant, though I was suprised to find that Sam left so early. Wait, how long was he there anyway?

The only thing that I could think of that would have made this better was if you were to have Frodo tell Sam something along the lines of "Say 'Hello' to my parents for me when you see them." That would have been a real tear-jerker, but all in all, a very well written and intriguing short story!
Ariel3 chapter 1 . 11/24/2003
Damn, woman... I should charge you for kleenex... For some reason, it doesn't matter how many times I read your work, no matter that I have seen it in the rough-hewn state all the way to finished product, your stories always touch my heart and bring tears to my eyes. Lovely, precious and peaceful. Thank you for this.