Reviews for The Very Best Time Of The Year
citruspeach chapter 5 . 4/26/2010
The noise I made when I read the part about putting an Angel on top of the tree was the most terribly undignified noise I have ever made.

To put it another way: if I was diabetic, I would be in a coma right now.
Cerasi5 chapter 5 . 7/28/2009
Ridiculously sweet and endearing! I'm usually not a fan of mini Wes stories, but this was so, so cute and extremely well done. Particularly loved the characterization of all, including your original characters, and loved the word of advice at the end. :o)
Stationary Love chapter 5 . 5/29/2009
I read this and loved it so much. This was wonderful and totally satisfied my need for Wesley angst.
Anatomy Melancholia chapter 5 . 12/18/2008
I had someone recommend this to me when I was looking for good Christmas fic, and I'm so glad she did.

I'm not sure whom I loved more here, Norman or Cordy. They're almost a matched pair to some extent, although major props go to Norman for his 'talking hamburger' note.

Thanks for putting me firmly in the Christmas mood. :)
a chapter 5 . 5/19/2005
I loved this story. I ADORE this story. I cried.

It was great!
thedtree chapter 5 . 5/30/2004
Oh, damn, you've made my cheeks hurt so much from smiling it's really painful. Not that I mind, actually, because I must say this is the sweetest damn story I think I've ever read. Actually got some of the Christmas cheer for the first time in about 9 years too, and I know that I'll be re-reading this once the season actually comes around.

I put it in my classics file without a second thought, and it definatly deserves it because it's a gorgeous fic without going too melodrama or too sugarcoated.

Now if I can just take a few minutes to massage my poor unsuspecting cheeks from smile-overload...

- thedtree
bouncymonkey chapter 5 . 4/28/2004
Wow! I just loved your story, especially the twist at the end...
I want a mini!Wes ;P
cyher chapter 5 . 3/20/2004
I absolutely loved it! Everything about it was fabulous. The best part? Knowing that I'm not the only one who thinks marshmellows in sweet potatoes is completely unnatural.
Emmy Award chapter 5 . 1/16/2004
That was a great ending. Nice and happy, and I loved Norman's note. Never trust a talking hamburger indeed.
a terrible love chapter 5 . 12/26/2003
You are a truly magnificent crafter of stories. This one had all the right ingredients of a holiday story, yet this deceptively simple story blends those particular ingredients in a complex and intelligent way that would hold even the most jaded adult's(read: my) attention.
Where to start, where to start?
First, kiddy Wes: *lets out an unearthly shriek and squeezes the breath out of a terrified mini-Wes*
Ahem. Your vision of Wesley's childhood self is most definitely recognizable as the man he would grow to be, illuminating all the pains and vulnerabilities he has not yet grown the defenses to conceal, and even more importantly the basic core of fortitude and goodness that is such a constant of the character. And he's... so... CUTE! *coos like crazy over little Wesley* Definitely a gem of a Wes characterization that engaged both emotion and thought.
The AI crew's interaction with mini-Wes was extremely moving, with all the bits and pieces they had known or suspected falling into place to form a coherent picture of a cramped and silently painful childhood. Yet even more than that, their love and respect for both the man and the child he had been shine warmly through until the seemingly most banal moments had me close to tears. All the unconditional affection they couldn't openly show a reserved grownup break forth in a joyous cacophany, showing the power of the wish that Norman had wielded. In a way it's also sobering that seven-year-old Wes had to be cast so far into the future to have that one simple wish granted-and this, in a way, is symbolic of the story as a whole, the complex and real-life coexistence of glowing joy with undercurrents of quiet pain.
Speaking of Norman, how much does he ROCK? Funny and original, with a kindly heart barely concealed underneath all that gruffness, he brought a whole new dimension of life (and Christmas-ness) into the narrative, of which he is an organic, integral part. And to see how this complete stranger can be so moved by the child-Wesley only serves to heighten English Sr.'s complete stupidity. Only person in the whole damn world not to know how wonderful his son is, anyone? Growl.
Norman's memory modification for Wesley at the end was such a wonderfully heartwarming touch that left me smiling. Not to mention all the wonderful humorous touches, from beginning to end... "She’s down there doing unspeakable things to a defenceless turkey." Gunn hiding the marshmallows in a SAFE! *laughs helplessly* And let's not even go into the "angel for the top of the tree" thing-Wesley's quirky sense of humor had to start *somewhere*.
An utterly satisfying reading experience in every way. Thank you for taking the time to write this, and during the holidays, too. Not to mention the creation of our very own ber-cute mini Watcher... *turns to look at mini-Wes, who runs for his life* Drat.
Grav chapter 5 . 12/24/2003
Brilliant! The only thing I didn't like is that it's over. I loved Wes' memories (or lack thererof), and the bit about the hamburger. Again, because I've only told you every chapter, I love the idea behind this story. It was fantastic, and a really great Christmas story to boot. Wonderful, wonderful work. Thank you for sharing.
Tariq chapter 5 . 12/23/2003
Hi. MAGNIFICENT! Um..why dont u post your stories at .com ? They'll love your stories at the forum.
Stormcloud Empath chapter 5 . 12/22/2003
Wow. Just wow. That was brilliant. Simply fantastic. I'm more of a Harry Potter and/or Avengers person, so I don't often venture to this section. After reading this fic I know that I have to do it more often. I wish I'd found this fic sooner, especially being the Wesley fan that I am. This was perfectly written, and original too: the Nick/D'Hoffryn tie-in was just great. Also: I loved Norman. If I worked for ME, I'd try to purchase the rights to him. Happy holidays to you, and thanks for such a wonderful story!
Imzadi chapter 5 . 12/22/2003
AW! There are several recent very dark & angsty Wes stories up, so a happy Wes story is a real joy. This had a sweet ending. I liked it a lot. Nice Christmas story!
DoReMi4 chapter 5 . 12/22/2003
Wonderful chapter. Why can't Wesley remember! *whines like a baby* It was so sad to think that Wes won't remember a thing about what happened. Good old Norman though for writing Wesley that letter. That made me smile. :)
Some things I liked:
‘There,’ he announced triumphantly. ‘An angel for the top of the tree.’
Definitely an aw moment.
Gunn and Cordy's theatrics were very funny not to mention Lorne's zings. It's always fun to make fun of Angel;)
'Cordelia was settled on the small couch; Wesley curled in her lap, glasses slightly askew. '
What a sweet image. This is a lovely fic.
49 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »