Reviews for Against a Sea of Troubles
Ivy chapter 10 . 4/23
Its saddening that this fanfic wasn't completed T.T its wonderful, amazing, emotional and i just don't know how to describe how good this fanfic is! You describe kenshin so well and the others that came to know him slowly accept and help him! Even though the chance is minimal but i really do hope you can continue with this fanfic and give it an end!
piccolabimba chapter 10 . 12/15/2020
Credible "wandering years" could-have-been. Thanks for writing. Following just in case.
wbss21 chapter 10 . 10/21/2020
This is just so, so fantastically brilliant, and beautifully written. I know you haven't updated in a long time, but just know that, if you ever do, you've gained a loyal reader in me. This story is just so moving and, I think, perfectly captures how Kenshin, despite the tragedy of his past and what he was made to become for the sake of the revolution, has this incredible, healing affect on people, and makes them want to do and be better.

The way you've built Kenshin's relationship with Noriya, and made it so believable, and also Kenshin's relationship with Fumiko, is astonishing, considering their particular grievances with him. I never felt for a moment that their eventual forgiveness was forced or unrealistic, because, I think, you've done such a brilliant job of capturing and conveying Kenshin's true nature, that gentle, kind soul that he possesses underneath all of the trauma and pain which for so long consumed his life. And that innate goodness in him is something the other character's can sense, despite their own pain and anger. I felt you struck just the right balance in terms of struggle too, with them wanting, almost desperately at first, to hold onto their hate and anger, and how those feelings even took on a violence at moments. That makes their eventual letting go of it in the face of the reality of who Kenshin is, all the more perfect.

You do an amazing job too of capturing just how YOUNG Kenshin is, and capturing this place of limbo that he's stuck in, struggling with the weight of his own past and his idealistic hopes for the future. His tendency towards self-loathing and low self-esteem comes through with such power and poignancy here too, with how little he thinks of himself, and this awful pain of feeling he'll never be able to do enough to make up for all the pain and death he's caused. You capture Kenshin's inability to see the good he's imparted into people's lives so well, while at the same time we see that goodness playing out and affecting the other character's around him. I think probably the best example of that is Sakamoto and his loyalty to Kenshin, despite Kenshin leaving him in a position to get captured as he has been, and seemingly working against him and his other men. Sakamoto's loyalty to Kenshin here, his refusal to give him up and betray him, is strong testament to the way in which Kenshin has positively touched the lives of so many people around him, even when he was working for Katsura as his shadow assassin, because despite the deadly work he was undertaking, I don't think Kenshin's genuine care and concern for people ever left him, and that was something the men who were on his side could sense, despite their fear of him as well. You've done an incredible job of conveying the way the people who really get to know Kenshin end up admiring and loving him, and feeling fiercely loyal to him.

At the same time as you're amazing character study, you're doing an awesome job of weaving action and intrigue into your story, and driving it forward. What a cliff hanger to leave it on! There's a very real danger that Kenshin's presence is going to be revealed, and in his current, handicapped state, that would be very bad. Like I said, I know there isn't a great chance of seeing this updated again, but if you ever decide to do so, I'll be waiting! If not, thank you so, so much for sharing what you have! It's been a true treat to read such an amazing and moving story!
VengeanceMeow chapter 10 . 9/3/2017
So sad that this fic will never be completed. I wish that I'd been active in the fandom back when this was being written so that I could have let you know how much I love it. RIP.
M chapter 10 . 5/12/2017
I'm not entirely sure of the protocol for reviewing abandoned works, or even just older works in general, but I'd just like to tell you that I've really enjoyed this one! Your writing is a joy to read, and I'm sad that I've only found it now, when you seem to have migrated away from this profile. I hope film school (right? I think?) treated you well, and if your plans changed in the intervening decade, I hope it all went well. Thank you so much for sharing as much of your writing as you have, it truly was a great read (as are your other works on this site, this is just the most recent one that I've read). Thank you again!
Mayumi20 chapter 10 . 5/23/2016
This story is good! But sadly it was unfinished. T.T
Guest chapter 10 . 4/29/2016
this is really good. I love the characters. Well written. I'm sorry it will not be finished.
fluffybluff chapter 1 . 2/16/2016
ah so many chapters already! I'm still rereading your stuff now, it's pretty sad that it will never be finished. rest in peace.
Guest chapter 10 . 10/21/2015
Ah, I so wish you would continue...
Lalaland chapter 10 . 9/25/2015
I really, honestly love this fic. I'm so sorry that it's never going to be updated, but what you managed to do was beautiful.

Rest in peace, Hakubaikou.
Flicka115 chapter 10 . 4/28/2015
This is one of the best fanfics I have ever read. Please update!
ItStartsWithZ chapter 10 . 4/18/2015
Oh no. That waa the last chapter?
ItStartsWithZ chapter 5 . 4/18/2015
Wow. I have just realized that i found an amazing story after 10 years :
ItStartsWithZ chapter 4 . 4/18/2015
you are awesome! I've been a fan of kenshin since the anime, manga and the movie, and now,the fanfiction. This is too good and i cannot let it slip away
ForeverRainingFire chapter 10 . 4/2/2015
Great story! I'm really enjoying it! You did a fantastic job with Kenshin. I just wish it were finished- I really enjoyed reading just what you have here and would love to read more!