Reviews for From Riches to Rags
Princess Tyler Briefs chapter 12 . 12/19/2003
*whimpers* That was so heart-wrenching. I adore your Merry in every story of yours that involves him, but this one was heart-breaking. I can't stand to see children hurt, which is why I strongly advocate stricker laws against child abuse, and to know that there are still places in the world that do that to their children. Parents who will sell of their children to pay their debts *shudders* I can't stand it, it breaks my heart.
A very well written peice, and entirely believable. It's hard to write a hobbit in that situation, but you did an excellent job. I hope to read more of your stories soon!
Ja Ne,
PTB
Pervinca T chapter 12 . 12/14/2003
This really was a fantastic story - you *should* be very proud of it! And I don't see why there shouldn't be horrid hobbits like Mr. Thatch in the Shire (just look at Lotho S.B and Ted Sandyman). You do realise that now I will have to read your other story involving Degger - he was quite a lovable character!
Please keep up the great work - I think that you're a quite talented writer, despite what you might like to think!
- Kate
Pearl Took chapter 12 . 12/6/2003
Pippinfan,
Bravo! And the souls of those children from our own past are comforted by being remembered. Yes, Tolkien made it clear that there are hobbits who aren't nice. He never intended for the Shire to be Utopia. Not having wars and not even coming to blows in their own arguements doesn't mean there were no bad hobbits. There were Ted Sandymans, Lotho Sackville-Baggins' and I'm quite sure there were Mr. Thatches.
This had been a wonderfully mysterious and touching story. Thank you for writing it!
Pearl Took chapter 11 . 12/5/2003
Pippinfan,
Wonderful, wonderful! Such a grand tale! I love it, I love it all!
Baxley chapter 9 . 12/4/2003
I have really enjoyed reading this story.
It was such a delight.
And I especially liked the surprise ending.
But, look, another chapter.
I must be off to find a cozy fireplace & continue my reading.
Keep up the good work!
Pearl Took chapter 10 . 12/4/2003
Pippinfan,
This is just so sweet and powerful. Poor, dear, frightened Degger; not understanding that these are hobbits who already care about him and mean him good and not harm. Paladin weeping as he holds his own little lad while sitting by another child's grave. Merry, scared and confused but wanting so badly to make a difference to Degger. This is just too cool!
Pearl Took chapter 9 . 12/1/2003
Pippinfan,
I've chills! This is awesome! This is marvelous! Bravo!
Camellia Gamgee-Took chapter 8 . 11/30/2003
Oh, yet another brilliant chapter! And they keep coming so fast!
I think we could ALL take a leaf out of your book concerning updates! (I've yet to finish THREE of mine!)
Ana Cardic chapter 7 . 11/30/2003
*sniff* Thanks for the cyber-hankies. ;)
I cannot tell you how nice it is to see an author who actually updates quickly. (I probably shouldn't be so complimentary over it, as it takes me AGES to update, and so I probably seem a bit hypocritical. LOL!)
But, of course, though you decided to update quickly, you had to leave us on a cliffie! Typical, typical. J/K :D
Once again, I LOVE this thing. And I'm no criticism to offer. (That's impressive, let me tell you!)
Cheers!
BBDS
Camellia Gamgee-Took chapter 7 . 11/30/2003
Oh WOW! This is just so fantastic - and regular updates, hurrah!
I loved the last paragraph of this story, and I love the twists within it. So well written and such gripping stuff!
Thanks for sharing!
Pearl Took chapter 7 . 11/29/2003
This continues to be awesome. A wonderful heart tugging story. You've great stories in you!
Pearl Took chapter 5 . 11/29/2003
Pippinfan,
Oh, I am totally captured, I HAVE to know what happens! I mean, yes, I know Merry lives, but how near to death does he come? How far into his dreams does he wander? What agony do Paladin and Pippin go through? This is so good!
Camellia Gamgee-Took chapter 5 . 11/29/2003
What a treat!
I went to see whether this had been updated and I find another three new chapters!
I'm loving this, such brilliant story telling!
:-)
Ana Cardic chapter 5 . 11/29/2003
Love it! Is that the end? Say no, this is definitely a story I want to keep an eye one!
You write the hobbits well. Not necessarily as the childlike people that Tolkien created, but more as humans, only more good-natured. (Well, other than Mr. Thatch, of course.)
I also like how you didn't make the dream sequence be completely be about the Ring, like so many authors would be tempted to do. If the dream sequence eventually turns to the Ring, I think that's fine, as long as it's not the typical:
Merry hit his head.
Merry saw lots and lots of Orcs.
Merry watched people bop Orcs on the head.
Merry watched Orcs bop people on the head.
Merry saw the Ring.
Merry woke up.
Only written better, of course :D.
Let's see... constructive criticism, constructive criticism... hm... got it! And it's only a little grammar thing, as I honestly don't know how to critique the writing style, as it's at least as good as my own, if not better. So I'm no help there. But anyway, the grammar thing (which, BTW, I did for about six months before fixing):
When characters talk, the punctuation almost always needs to be a comma, as the dialogue is part of a sentence. For example:
“This is a strange place, Pip. There’s no trees-only small bushes.” Merry answered.
should be
“This is a strange place, Pip. There’s no trees-only small bushes,” Merry answered.
"Bushes" and "Merry" are part of the same sentence, so they should have a comma in between them. On the other hand, you wre perfectly correct in:
“We’re brothers, you know.” Pippin wiped his nose with his sleeve.
Because Pippin wiping his nose is in an entirely different sentence than his dialogue.
Hope that didn't confuse you too much :)
Do continue, this fic is really good! My precciouss... j/k!
-BBDS
Pearl Took chapter 3 . 11/28/2003
Pippinfan,
Ok, and how quickly are you expecting to posting the rest of this? ;) This is just so good! I'm loving it!