Reviews for Spirits of the House
Nimloth9 chapter 1 . 11/23/2011
A beautiful AU! If only it was true...

I loved the last part, it was wonderful.
Darkover chapter 1 . 12/26/2010
Dear Altariel: Wow! A very emotional and deeply moving story! Sort of "A Christmas Carol" for Middle-Earth! Your characterizations, especially of Faramir and Denethor, are beautifully done. You also have a very descriptive style of writing. The vision of the past with Boromir and Faramir, alone on the day of the death of their mother, was heart-rending. The only thing in the story I rather disliked was Boromir's description of his brother and father. About Faramir: "He's shorter." About his father: "He's like Faramir, only older." *That* was the best he could do? And not even particularly accurate, IMHO! Or did he just not want to talk about them, because it was too painful? Otherwise, this was a magnificently-written story. Thanks for writing and posting it. Sincerely, Darkover
starkmaddness chapter 1 . 8/19/2010
This is practically what fans wished so sorely would happen, that Denethor would wake the hell up from his misery and give Faramir just a bit of the love he showed Boromir. T_T You've wrote this beautifully and thanks to Aralanthiriel for helping such a story take place.
LadyoftheShield chapter 1 . 7/27/2010
Wow... good job! I liked you description of Findulas.
duj chapter 1 . 6/6/2009
Pity he spent canon looking through the crystal instead of through his heart.
Cariad-je chapter 1 . 5/3/2009
Oh my. Now I finally get what's meant by 'non-canonical to good purpose'. That being listed as a reason for a fic rec on HASA did always befuddle me ;)

Honestly that was absolutely wonderful. Especially the Faramir-Denethor dialogue at the end, you really captured the dynamic that should've been... although to be honest I didn't catch on to what was going on until I read your comments at the end, maybe an AU warning in the summary might help? All the same, it was a pleasure to read, maybe even more so since there was a hint of surprise in the delight of a smile I couldn't keep off my face at the end :)

And the characterisation, it was superb! Quite how you managed that without losing hold of the Dickens thread is totally beyond me...

It couldn't be anything more than a one-shot, but I can't help wondering how this Denethor would deal with Boromir's death, when it came to it. It reads as a beautiful might-have-been, but for circumstance that conspired against it! I keep trying to think of a way your story might have gone while bypassing the palantir smashing bit. With the symbolism that has, that in actuality it couldn't be destroyed bugs me, as though it implies Denethor never could have gotten out, when I believe (want to believe) no matter how deep in he was he would never be in too deep to be beyond reach. But I daresay I'm over-reacting :)

I've been trolling the web for good Faramir/Faramir-Denethor fanfic when I came across your work...I know it's ages since you've written this (six years ago I was just finishing LOTR after all) but miniscule as this is, I just wanted to say thank you because your story touched me, is all :)
Rhyselle chapter 1 . 11/24/2006
How wonderfully written. A CHRISTMAS CAROL made the transition to Middle-earth beautifully... and it was always my wish, too, that Denethor be freed from his despair and depression and regain hope and to see just what a wonderful son he had in Faramir. :)

I'm bookmarking this one to re-read at year's turning, just as I re-read A CHRISTMAS CAROL each year.
Celebne chapter 1 . 10/17/2006
Great story! I have read already some German stories with Denethor as Scrooge, but this one is the best of all!
Rugi chapter 1 . 5/15/2006
Yeah I know this story is old - but I am methodically working through all the StewardFamily stories that look interesting.

This is a very middle earth friendly adaption of Dickens. I love that you didn't simply force the Dickens model into Denethor's life but instead took the trouble to write it in a style conistant with Tolkien. And you have done a nice job portraying the Steward's troubled but ultimately loving family.
cuthalion chapter 1 . 10/6/2005
This is wonderful, and it makes me sad at the same time. Everything "could" have been different... but it isn't, and still this is in a strange way comforting and healing to read. Amd masterfull told - of course.
Lady Masterblott chapter 1 . 6/17/2004
Hi there!

What an amazing idea!

And yet, come to think of it, not actually far fetched. In fact, when I recognised the twist the plot took (It's actually been a while that I read a certain book) it felt most natural to me to inflict upon Denethor exactly THIS.

I really wish I had come upon this by last yule but then - I did not have much time on my hands back then, anyways.

In any case, I am most grateful for having found it now.

All the best,

Margit
Raksha The Demon chapter 1 . 4/1/2004
A charming concept; A CHRISTMAS CAROL in Middle-Earth with Denethor as Scrooge. And you tell it so beautifully.
This story goes into my favorite LOTR fanfics folder; and my Favorite Stories list at . A wonderful New Year's Gift!
nrink nrink chapter 1 . 3/8/2004
Absolutely mind-blowing stuff. I am glad that you let Faramir be happy (for a while). He certainly deserves it after all he's been put through in the book (and in fan fics). I have also just read the one on Faramir/Eomer which was co-written with someone else - very clever & subtle, (and hilarious!) just the sort of droll humour that he would have had.
Please, let's have more!
Playing Passerine chapter 1 . 3/5/2004
*laugh* well, i must say i liked this much better than dickens. though i admit i didn't read the summary or anything so missed out that it was going to be a happy ended bit. denethor with hope. and faramir not in need of therapy for the next 30 years. kind of freaky. but very clever!
the small touched of dialogue were wonderfully IC, and the choice of ghosts well made :)
greenleaf-in-bloom chapter 1 . 2/10/2004
Erukas.
As all the rest, this one rocks.
Very like Denethor...Faramir...Boromir...