Reviews for A Second Chance
Enjoyed this :)
Razell chapter 17 . 4/7/2015
Great story, I couldn't stop reading it. I love all the references to Ray Park, and I'm glad to find more people who think Toad is a handsome man. It really bugs me when people call him hideous or gross.

It's too bad this isn't canon. At least one official site says he was killed in the battle, some list him as 'unknown', others as alive. I prefer alive, obviously. Storm killing(?) him in cold-blood was unlike Storm's personality and the reason I only watched the movie once. I couldn't stand that scene, and to make a joke of it! I just couldn't bear it.

When I get the time I'll have to read the sequel, I read the one about his father, skipped ahead, unintentionally. That was a great story too.

I don't know why almost everyone has Toad (in any series) being so self-conscious about people looking at his body, I guess it just fits his personality. I wrote him (as young Todd) in Evo as not caring about walking around naked (in front of other guys, at least), until he got an unwanted wolf-whistle from another boy... Then I wrote him in WTXM as being terrified of having people seeing his body.
Asking him to pose naked was pretty forward of Gabby, and she didn't hide how much she admired his body. I felt a bit embarrassed for him, even though I had Todd in some pretty shameless scenes, and said boy who whistled at him openly called him 'cute'.

I like the way he develops, from using these convenient, if annoying, flatscans to falling head over heels in love and suffering remorse for his crimes. His memories of his Sensei were a bright spot in all the darkness he's been through, his memories of his mother... Chilling. His affection for his helicopter and radio, his love of tech and tinkering. His unease at being touched and disbelief that a girl would actually kiss HIM was sad and endearing. Yeah, angsty boys (and girls)... It might get old in real life, but they still need affection and help. They need people to care about them, especially in real life.

You also didn't shy away from his dark side, killing people, like those guards, who were 'in the way', trying to justify his actions, and failing. He's so very human.

The part about the priest being disgusted with him at his confession as a child was painful. Is it any wonder he gave up on humanity, when humanity had given up on him?

He's suffered so much hatred and cruelty in his life, he deserves a happy ending.

Beautiful story.
LadyTraveler chapter 17 . 12/24/2014
Loved it! Also, your OFCs name kinda hit home. A while back I lost a cousin named Gabby to a car wreck, seeing her name (and a bit of her personality) really helped, thank you
arashikageriverflower chapter 17 . 12/24/2014
This is a great story, and I think the second or third time I've read it. Great characters, good plot. And about what you said about angst: when I think of angst I think of a very specific type of conflict, but really, any conflict will drive a story. Don't be afraid to make bad things happen to your characters, and you will have a story.
Can't wait for the sequel!
Ayame Yoshida chapter 5 . 9/8/2013
I love D Talk! Their kinda like Audio Adrenaline, another Christain band. They play with the same style.
amber chapter 17 . 10/19/2011
Just...wow. simply fantastic! :D will there be a sequal? Anywho, AWESOME WORK.C:
Xany Kaos chapter 1 . 1/24/2010
Heh, reviewing my own fic, but only to address something said in a recent review:

Wow. WOW. I'm actually moderately offended at the implication that me being "from the south and all" means that I either don't know any gay people or don't care about gay rights.

How do you think I knew about the Laramie Project to begin with? And I didn't turn it into a musical. The core crew of the drama club I was in during high school did, very briefly. And with maybe two exceptions, every single one of them was-wait for it-gay or bisexual. Granted, back in our punk high school days (not to long before this fic was written), we had a very morbid sense of humor, but I think the point of the musical was largely the same point as a Mel Brooks movie. Ever notice that Mel Brooks makes musicals of, oh, the HOLOCAUST and other atrocities? His reasoning is that he wants to make the people behind these acts look so ridiculous that their ideas will never be taken seriously again (after all, Hitler is kind of a universal punchline now). That was what Kyle and Ryan were doing. That and a lot of dark humor-there's a lot to be said for the genre of black comedy in musicals (Cannibal!, Army of Darkness, Repo Man, etc). That and, really, it wasn't very funny. Musicals aren't inherently funny-think of Les Mis, The Beautiful Game, Fiddler on the Roof. Musicals deal with drama pretty darn well.

I'm glad that you liked the story, cheesy as it all is, and that the ending made you happy. And I truly apologise if a throw-away joke offended you. I am well aware that many of my readers, clients, and friends are gay because yeah, we have that in the South too, and this generation down it's really not the horror story that you may think (also Louisiana: New Orleans. Really?). I'm also getting that jumping to these conclusions you might be a wee bit young. Calm down. Making light of a terrible terrible thing is what people to to get through, to get over, and to deal with the consequences. Writing a musical was Kyle's way of expressing his thoughts on the subject.

Anyway. Toad is delightful, and it's always groovy to see one more person added to the Toad Collective.
Fred chapter 17 . 1/24/2010
Gah! xD

The ending made me way too unnecessarily happy.
Fred chapter 16 . 1/24/2010
The Laramie Project is about the gruesome, painful, drawn-out murder of a gay man. He was killed for being gay. He lay, dying in agony, for about 8 hours, by the side of a road. Turning it into a musical, or a comedy, is outright disgusting.

I know you're from the south and all, but some of your readers (including myself) might just happen to be gay from time to time. If you say anything like this again, I am leaving the most biting flame I can manage and then not reading anything else you write. I'm sorry, but I read this sort of shit to make me HAPPY, or at least to get away from things, not to piss myself off.

Your /story/, on the other hand, has been gorgeous so far. I've enjoyed it quite a bit, and the only reason I've yet to review is my eagerness to reach the next chapter whenever I reach the end of the last. Toad is my favorite Marvel character, in any of his forms I've seen so far, and your interpretation is interesting, and enjoyable.

(Also, watching him get charred in the only movie he ever shows up in was painful. This alleviates that. A bit.)

In short: Please don't hate. I'd loathe having to stop reading your stuff. Also, you rock.
sessys girl forever chapter 17 . 5/4/2009
OMG i loved it, so sad it ended
hannahlouise1994 chapter 5 . 12/4/2008
hi there! i'm british and me an my mates say 'piss you off' when its needed. um... the slang might be different where i live, but we say stuff like- home james (you have to put on a really fake posh accent on for that one)um...apples and pears (stairs) thats rhyming slang... toodles (bye) hope that helped a wee bit.
MortimerToynbeeFan chapter 17 . 7/18/2007
This is one of the coolest ToadOC fics I've ever read, and I've read a lot. Your character as believable and likable, and the story was certainly a deviation on the usual. While Toad had a tiny bit of OOC on a few occasions, he is hard to keep IC and you did spectacularly. Truly great, you chould consider another little something like that!
GuesssWho chapter 6 . 12/31/2006
'Bloody 'ell' is a good all-purpose phrase, if you need one.
GuesssWho chapter 5 . 12/31/2006
'I like art'?

Did you even realize that you an X-Files episode there?
Racetrack's Goil chapter 2 . 6/29/2006
I know, I know, this story is fab, but can I nitpick at something really tiny?

You wrote: "...John's sweet voice began to sing about a face he couldn't forget."

I'm figuring, if you're talking about "I've Just Seen a Face", that's sung by Paul's 'sweet voice'. Just noticed it and wondered. :P Also a few spelling mistakes somewhere, like 'write' and 'right', but oh well. Figured if I'm gonna nitpick, then I'll just add that in.

Great job, btw. Still my only favorite Toad story.